Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #196
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

You can always add cash to the envelopes too. We also do prepaid grats with our final payment.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #197
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Princess 71 View Post
I agree that it was a hassle in my experience to change our tips. I wanted to increase ours, so on the paper that was left in our room with the amounts that were going to be auto charged, i just crossed those out and wrote in the higher amounts I wanted to do, thinking I could just drop that off at Guest Services and have them easily change it. Unfortunately, it was at least a 15 minute process. They couldn't just add to the auto tips. The CM had to go get a manager CM to assist her with voiding the original ones, having me sign off on that, then I had to fill out a completely new form with the amounts I wanted to give, then she had to run that, and reprint the tickets. I know 15 mins might not sound like a lot, but when you are on vacation on a beautiful ship and/or waiting to head out to a beautiful island like CC, you dont want to waste a minute, especially on something that should have been much more seamless.

I understand the idea of the auto charge for tipping and I'm not totally against it, but I do think they should make it easier for guests to change the amount. Like, when the form is left in your room, it should say something like 'do nothing and this is what will be charged' or 'if you want to increase/decrease, please fill out your corrected amounts and drop off to Guest Services.' Then, the drop off could work just like before, where you leave it in the box, they process it, and return it to your room fish mail holder so you haven't taken any of your time to wait in line to do it.
Personally, the easiest way to adjust the tip up is to just add cash...that way you don't have to go to GS at all...just add the extra cash to the envelopes. We have done this on all our cruises, even before the auto tipping started. It just takes some preplanning to make sure you have the cash with you by the end of the cruise. We just set aside cash for this purpose.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #198
3princessMommy
DIS Veteran

We always pre-pay our tips with our Disney Visa - this way we get reward dollars for the amount AND we get 6 months interest free financing. If you wait and have the tips automatically added, you don't get the interest free financing and your reward dollars can't be used on this vacation! (Of course, maybe that's an incentive to go back to Disney...)

Then the easiest way to give extra for the exceptional service is to just add cash to the ticket envelopes. That way most of the tip is direct deposited, and there's some cash for the crews' incidental expenses.

Also - there's no reason you can't tip those staff members who are not on your tip list. The best way to do this, is to write a detailed account of their exceptional service and give it to guest services. They have staff meetings each day, and those letters MEAN A LOT!!!! They may even read it out loud to everyone! And give a bonus to that employee.

For example, on our last cruise, there was one server who went sooooo far beyond it was insane! The first day, we went to the Enchanted Garden for lunch. Our youngest didn't like anything on the buffet - to be fair the kids' options were somewhat limited, and frankly, she was just tired and overexcited. A server from a nearby table passed as I was trying to coax her to eat. And she refused. He stopped and asked her what she would like to eat. She said, "Pizza." Of course, there was no pizza on the buffet! But he said he would get her pizza if she would promise to eat it all. (Which would never happen because she eats like a bird anyway.) She agreed though and he disappeared. He must have RUN up 8 decks! He was back very quickly (a little out of breath) with not only a kids' cheese pizza, but also french fries! She immediately starting eating.

But he didn't stop there. In his pocket, he had hidden some starburst candy. He pulled a couple out and flashed them at her - and said, she couldn't have one until she had finished her lunch! Well, she went to work on that pizza! Then every time he passed our table, he would "check" on her! she ate all of her pizza and earned her starburst!

But he didn't stop there either!!! Turns out, he wasn't our waiter, but he was on our dinner rotation. So we saw him every evening and occasionally at breakfast or lunch around the ship. Every time he saw our daughter, he made a big deal out of seeing her! She'd start looking for him! She even "wrote" him a thank you letter! (She was just 5 and couldn't spell yet so it was more a picture than words.) Then that turned into a game - each evening, she 'wrote' him a letter and he came over and gave her a hug! On the fourth night - he gave her a Minnie mouse!

I wrote a long letter about how wonderful his work had made our cruise. Our daughter was so excited to see him and it just made meals so much fun. On the last night of the cruise, he came over and thanked me for writing the letter. (I didn't figure he'd know about it until the end of the cruise.) But it turns out that the letter went all the way up to the senior staff of restaurant services! AND they read it out loud to the waitstaff at their staff meeting - as an example of the type of service they should be emulating! ANNNNDDD They gave him a $100 bonus on the spot!!! I never would have been able to tip that much extra! The letter made all the difference!

It was even more important for him, because he had reached the end of his 5th DCL contract. He was getting married and returning to his home country the next day to open his own restaurant!

Use the survey or just write a note - give a specific example and the crewmembers' names. DCL does reward those crewmembers in very tangible ways!

DHMe DD13 DD11 DD8 Nala Sasha Patches
1976:WDW OS; 1986:WDW OS; 1993:WDW CR; 2007:DLP NBC; 2008:WDW SOG; DCL Wonder DD; 2009:WDW SOG; DCL Magic Tortola; 2010:DCL Magic Baltic; DCL Magic Xmas; 2011:DCL Wonder Alaska; WDW AK; 2012: WDW BLT & DCL Fantasy Western; 2013: WDW BCV & B2B DCL Dream; 2014: Magic Barcelona to Venice Repo Planned: 2015: Fantasy Eastern; Magic Iceland Cruise
3princessMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #199
candfandm
Mouseketeer

If you have money left in OBC at end of cruise, will they just deduct the tip from there and if it is not enough, then the balance from credit card on file?
candfandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #200
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by candfandm
If you have money left in OBC at end of cruise, will they just deduct the tip from there and if it is not enough, then the balance from credit card on file?
Yes.
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #201
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlong329 View Post
If you want to make a change, you can do it via your stateroom phone ... whether you are increasing or decreasing your gratuity!
This apparently wasn't an option on the Wonder either. I stopped by Guest Services on the last day of our cruise to add to our gratuities. The CM told me that I needed to bring the tickets that we already received because they had to destroy those prior to printing new tickets with the increased gratuity. So....back to the cabin I went to get the old tickets!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #202
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Diz View Post
This apparently wasn't an option on the Wonder either. I stopped by Guest Services on the last day of our cruise to add to our gratuities. The CM told me that I needed to bring the tickets that we already received because they had to destroy those prior to printing new tickets with the increased gratuity. So....back to the cabin I went to get the old tickets!
We always carry cash & add cash instead of changing the gratuities at Guest Services -- it works fine.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #203
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post

We always carry cash & add cash instead of changing the gratuities at Guest Services -- it works fine.
That's what we do. No need to stand in line at Guest Services.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #204
Princess Bette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3princessMommy View Post
We always pre-pay our tips with our Disney Visa - this way we get reward dollars for the amount AND we get 6 months interest free financing. If you wait and have the tips automatically added, you don't get the interest free financing and your reward dollars can't be used on this vacation! (Of course, maybe that's an incentive to go back to Disney...)

Then the easiest way to give extra for the exceptional service is to just add cash to the ticket envelopes. That way most of the tip is direct deposited, and there's some cash for the crews' incidental expenses.

Also - there's no reason you can't tip those staff members who are not on your tip list. The best way to do this, is to write a detailed account of their exceptional service and give it to guest services. They have staff meetings each day, and those letters MEAN A LOT!!!! They may even read it out loud to everyone! And give a bonus to that employee.

For example, on our last cruise, there was one server who went sooooo far beyond it was insane! The first day, we went to the Enchanted Garden for lunch. Our youngest didn't like anything on the buffet - to be fair the kids' options were somewhat limited, and frankly, she was just tired and overexcited. A server from a nearby table passed as I was trying to coax her to eat. And she refused. He stopped and asked her what she would like to eat. She said, "Pizza." Of course, there was no pizza on the buffet! But he said he would get her pizza if she would promise to eat it all. (Which would never happen because she eats like a bird anyway.) She agreed though and he disappeared. He must have RUN up 8 decks! He was back very quickly (a little out of breath) with not only a kids' cheese pizza, but also french fries! She immediately starting eating.

But he didn't stop there. In his pocket, he had hidden some starburst candy. He pulled a couple out and flashed them at her - and said, she couldn't have one until she had finished her lunch! Well, she went to work on that pizza! Then every time he passed our table, he would "check" on her! she ate all of her pizza and earned her starburst!

But he didn't stop there either!!! Turns out, he wasn't our waiter, but he was on our dinner rotation. So we saw him every evening and occasionally at breakfast or lunch around the ship. Every time he saw our daughter, he made a big deal out of seeing her! She'd start looking for him! She even "wrote" him a thank you letter! (She was just 5 and couldn't spell yet so it was more a picture than words.) Then that turned into a game - each evening, she 'wrote' him a letter and he came over and gave her a hug! On the fourth night - he gave her a Minnie mouse!

I wrote a long letter about how wonderful his work had made our cruise. Our daughter was so excited to see him and it just made meals so much fun. On the last night of the cruise, he came over and thanked me for writing the letter. (I didn't figure he'd know about it until the end of the cruise.) But it turns out that the letter went all the way up to the senior staff of restaurant services! AND they read it out loud to the waitstaff at their staff meeting - as an example of the type of service they should be emulating! ANNNNDDD They gave him a $100 bonus on the spot!!! I never would have been able to tip that much extra! The letter made all the difference!

It was even more important for him, because he had reached the end of his 5th DCL contract. He was getting married and returning to his home country the next day to open his own restaurant!

Use the survey or just write a note - give a specific example and the crewmembers' names. DCL does reward those crewmembers in very tangible ways!
What a great story! Thanks so much for sharing. I will be sure to acknowledge any CM on our March cruise with a written letter. Note to self - bring stationery!

March 24-28, 2013 Disney Dream Spring Break Cruise with MaMaw
Nov 30-Dec 8, 2012 Fort Wilderness at WDW
July 5-10, 2011 Disney Dream 5 Night Double Dip Bahama's Cruise
March 21-24, 2010 Disney Wonder 4 Night Spring Break Bahama's Cruise
Princess Bette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #205
disneydreaming92701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Bette

What a great story! Thanks so much for sharing. I will be sure to acknowledge any CM on our March cruise with a written letter. Note to self - bring stationery!
Such an awesome story.. this is why we chose Disney....
disneydreaming92701 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: