Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #181
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Sounds like a great clean-up sale! A third story? Better start work with the architect now.
I think we're going to have to work with the rotating art concept. The place won't be approved for a third story!
Alison ~~~~ I do get to go to WDW this year! | Our Disney Dream Home| Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR |It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #182
franandaj

After a short break our next session began. Tinker Bell: The Evolution of a Disney Character

You will have to bear with me on this one. We were not allowed to take photos during this session.

So, this presentation was hosted by Mindy Johnson who recently authored a book of similar title to the session. It was quite interesting to learn how Tinker Bell evolved from a concept to an actual character, now with her own franchise, meet and greet and movie series.

It all began with a man named Jim Barrie, and Englishman who was interested in “Fairy Pantomime” which was all the rage around the turn of the 20th century.

As a young boy, his parents would vacation at Black Lake Cottage outside of London. Along with his brother and sister and friends they would search for fairies in the woods. Barrie called the fairy that they supposedly saw a “tippietoe”. This became his inspiration later when the story would come to life.

Now a bit of a side note for trivia. Back in the day, if your “something” broke, (shoe, garden hoe, handle of your stock pot, whatever), you couldn’t just “go out and buy a new one”. You couldn’t just take it down to the local Sears appliance center and get it fixed. If you couldn’t do it yourself, you waited for the Tinkers to come to town. These were gypsies who traveled from place to place and had skills that they could fix various items. When the Tinkers would come to town, they had a bell that they would ring to help announce their presence. This sound was known as the Tinker’s Bell.

So when Jim Barries play about the faerie Tippietoe opened in 1904, there was no little floating pixie. The only way that one knew she had arrived was the cue of a Tinker’s Bell. So during the production, she was given the name of Tinker Bell.

The play was an immediate success and eventually Tink was played by a little flash of light as well as the sound of the bell. Evidently they had to give a name to the performer for the play bill so they made up the name Miss Jane Wren. Though a fictitious character, at one point the Tax Board came collecting back taxes from the actress!

He put the play in book for in 1906, and in 1911 Peter and Wendy were added to the story. In 1928 Tinker Bell final becomes a real character played by a human.

It started in 1924 when Adolph Zukor presented Peter Pan in a silent screen play. Barrie wrote the play, but they I think they might have had a parting of ways because Barrie wanted to stay true to the original. Through the miracle of modern film they were able to show tink as a little ball of light when interacting with human characters. But she had her own on screen appearance with the staging of a “drawer” for her to sit on the tip and appear tiny. I believe this is the clip that they showed us as I can see it in my mind.

I believe that this picture comes from an early production of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell is actually played by a human character, but they made giant sets and shot her scenes separately so that she appeared to be fairy sized.

From a young age Walt was fascinated with the fairy concept. He and Roy emptied their piggy banks just to see this film. Walt even played Peter Pan in the school play. So skip forward to the 1930s and Walt is working on his hydroplane camera and developing the movie studio. He always had in the back of his mind that he wanted to do something with the Peter Pan story.

At the same time the Water Sprites were in development for Fantasia. Walt had very specific ideas on what his fairies should look like. In some of the early designs for Tinker Bell they considered changing her clothes in every scene, but this was scrapped.

From the beginning, she was always animated as a nuisance. Some early sketches of her resembled Shirley Temple, and later she became a brunette, but always she was supposed to have sex appeal. She was so little that she could only handle one emotion at a time. And by 1940 there were suggestions that she should become a red head.

In 1941 the Artist Strike hit, and in 1942 the US entered World War II so Peter Pan was placed on the shelf for the time being. However before it was placed on the shelf, Walt had already changed the story line for Peter to believe in Tink.

Mary Blair only did a few drawings for Peter Pan. Following the war, Tinker Bell was still a red head and by the end of the 1940s Peter Pan was in full production. Marc Davis was chosen to animate Tinker Bell. They showed some photos here that Alice Davis had found the week before the presentation of Marc drawing Tinker Bell back in this time period. She was animated as a girl from the waist up, but definitely a woman from the waist down.

Here is Marc Davis’s Tinkerbell sketch sheet.

She didn’t “preen” herself in her screen test because she’d never seen herself before. Evidently she had never seen a mirror. At this point they introduced the two ladies who were the “top” model and the leg model. Both mentioned how there was a rigorous audition process for the sound of the bell part. When the movie was released in February 1952, Tinker Bell became an instant hit. She became a spokesperson for bread and peanut butter. She also had her own comic books.

These were some shots from “live action” sequences that they did for animating Tinkerbell

Both the top and bottom models appeared on stage, as well as the gal who was doing the voice of Tinkerbell in the latest animated feature. I found these (as well as all the others) through Google images online.

This presentation went waaaaaaay over time. We were a little miffed about that because it was very difficult for us to leave discreetly (with the scooter and all that). We’re not big Tinker Bell fans anyways. I think it was past 12:30 when we got out. It was supposed to be done at 12:15, and we had to be back at 1:45 to get our regular spots.

At this point, I don’t remember exactly what we did for lunch, but I’m guessing we had either brought sandwiches with us, or we went back to the room and made them. But we were back in time for home stretch of the afternoon.
Alison ~~~~ I do get to go to WDW this year! | Our Disney Dream Home| Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR |It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 12:39 AM   #183
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

WOW! What a great history lesson on how Tinkerbell came to be. I found both the J Barrie side and the Disney side equally fascinating.

Thanks for sharing.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #184
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

I enjoyed the Tinkerbell update, she's one of my favorite characters.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - Nov 2013 Fantasy EC, Mar 2012 Wonder MR, Nov 2011 Dream B2B, Jan 2011 Wonder Panama Canal, Nov 2009 Wonder Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #185
cristyhas3
Mouseketeer

That's fascinating! Bummer it went long, tho. Thanks for telling us all about Tink!
Nora, 3

Heading to the Happiest Place on Earth in March!

My Blog: www.sewmuchlikemom.com
cristyhas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #186
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Very nice info about the history of Tinkerbell.

Great update.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #187
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Oooooohhhhh, garage sale treasures! Any chance for some pictures?

Loved the Tinkerbell history, she's one of my favorites.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #188
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

What a wonderful lesson on tinker bell.

Garage sale?

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #189
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Finally caught up. Your attention to detail is remarkable.
Not too shabby for a consolation prize: a Disneyland pre-trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3200081
rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:27 PM   #190
franandaj

Quote:
WOW! What a great history lesson on how Tinkerbell came to be. I found both the J Barrie side and the Disney side equally fascinating.

Thanks for sharing.
I found the J Barrie stuff to be the most interesting, but who would have realized that there was so much to such a little character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
I enjoyed the Tinkerbell update, she's one of my favorite characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristyhas3 View Post
That's fascinating! Bummer it went long, tho. Thanks for telling us all about Tink!
Glad you enjoyed it! Hope you stick around for the rest. I need to finish this before my trip which is now only 29 days away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Very nice info about the history of Tinkerbell.

Great update.
Thanks Bret!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Oooooohhhhh, garage sale treasures! Any chance for some pictures?

Loved the Tinkerbell history, she's one of my favorites.
They weren't anything spectacular, just some framed posters, pin sets and things. They're nice, but things we might put up in a bathroom or other room that we can't put expensive art on canvas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
What a wonderful lesson on tinker bell.

Garage sale?
I mentioned it after the previous update. We spent a couple hundred dollars buying out two ladies of their Disney stuff they had to get rid of. The thing that was nice was that I had just finished the update where Andreas Boor was the host and they had a picture he had signed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Finally caught up. Your attention to detail is remarkable.
Actually it's called copious notes!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:40 PM   #191
dgbg100106

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post

I mentioned it after the previous update. We spent a couple hundred dollars buying out two ladies of their Disney stuff they had to get rid of. The thing that was nice was that I had just finished the update where Andreas Boor was the host and they had a picture he had signed.

Nice find....

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
Old 01-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #192
franandaj

HEARING VOICES: A SULTE TO DISNEY VOICE ARTISTS

This session was hosted by Tim O’Day

The first person we heard from was Bill Farmer the voice of Goofy. Pinto Colvi was the original voice of Goofy. I can’t remember how long he has been doing the voice of Goofy, but he came on shortly before the time the Goofy movie came out.

For those of you who have heard this part already bear with me. Walt Disney was the voice for many of the characters in the original days of the Disney Studio. I believe that it was on one of the Disney documentaries that we watched on the cruise where I heard about how the next voice of Mickey Mouse came about. Basically Walt was just too busy to take time out of his day to come in and do the voiceovers, so he had one of his other imagineers try it, and said, “You have the job!”

Back in the 1980s when Roy Disney was in charge, it came to the attention of upper management that they had far too many people representing the voices of the characters. At one point there were nine different people doing the voice of Mickey in various areas such as TV shows, in the parks, on toys released to the public, internationally, Commercials, and other areas. They decided that only one voice should represent each character and held auditions and the best of each of the voices doing each character would become that one voice.

After a long career in stand up, and doing many different voices Bill Farmer got the part of Goofy. He demonstrated a lot of funny quotes for us and talked about how he was able to perform “Romeo and Juliet" as Goofy.

He’s a very funny and witty guy, and he also does the voice for Pluto. He is quite talented and demonstrated for us that he could also do the voice of Pluto in French and & German.

Think about it.

Are you laughing yet?

He worked with many of the legendary character voices and shared that the actors portraying the voices of Mickey and Minnie were actually married in real life.

His first movie project was the Goofy Movie. Following the success of that project, they started a series call the Goof troop. I believe that it was a half an hour series and it took 2-3 hours just to record the dialogue for each episode. In comparison, the Goofy Movie took 2-3 years to produce.

We moved on to Lisa Davis—Voice of Anita (One Hundred and One Dalmatians, 1961)

She had been doing some really bad “B” movies like the Queen of Outer Space starring Zsa Zsa Gabor, and she got really good at imitating Zsa Zsa’s voice. She had actually gone in to do the reading with Walt Disney for the part of Cruella, as they were looking for someone with that sort of a voice for her part.

For whatever reason she was failing miserably at reading Cruella’s part, so she asked Walt if she could try the “part that he was reading?” And she got the part!

Just as a little side note, she mentioned that she met her husband on the set of the “B” movie that they had both been working on, and that they had their first date at Disneyland.

In keeping with 101 Dalmatians, they moved on to David Frankham—Voice of Sergeant Tibbs Lisa had worked with him before. Willie Reitherman auditioned him. Generally Walt never wanted to “see” the auditionees, he just wanted to “hear” them. David studied his own cats for days before the audition. Willie took him around the story boards prior to the audition, so he felt prepared to give it a go when he was up.

After that the discussion moved on to Kathryn Beaumont—Voice of Alice (Alice in Wonderland, 1951) and Wendy Darling (Peter Pan, 1953). When she came to America, she was under contract with MGM. She mentioned that the way MGM worked was just how she “thought the Movie world worked”.

Walt was looking for a voice in Alice that would be pleasing to British and American audiences, so he pursued Kathryn for this role. When she finally signed on with Disney should couldn’t believe the difference between Disney and MGM. She was astonished that Walt was actually “part of the team”. She said that she loved working like that. He got her involved in all sorts of promos and even did a show called “An Hour in Wonderland”.

She had also worked with Sterling Holloway (who played the Cheshire Cat, Winnie the Pooh and Dumbo). Kathryn was new to voice work and everyone was in the room during the reading. Nowadays, it’s not usually done like that, each person reads their lines in a room all by themselves, but because they were able to talk over their scenes, it really helped her out as a kid.

Just a side note: Wreck-It-Ralph actually let Ralph (John C. Reilly) and Penelope (Sarah Silverman) record their lines together and it caused for much better interaction and more funny interplay.

The next voice we “met” was Chris Sanders—Stitch (Lilo & Stitch, 2002).

He was the director of the film and did the voice of Stitch. At first they didn’t want Stitch to have any speaking lines. However, during the filming, he started to grunt. When they were pitching the movie, Chris would just fill in the voice at the presentations, so when it came time that he actually had to have lines, Chris was very leery about doing it.

He gave a little bit of background on the whole Lilo and Stitch story. He had worked on Mulan, and they talked about killing off villains at the end of the movie. They thought for once it would be nice to have a movie where they didn’t kill off the villain. That’s how the whole “turn around” for Stitch came around in the end of the movie. The idea of him saying that “Ohana means no one ever gets left behind” made Stitch a reformed villain and they didn’t have to kill him off. This also meant that Chris would definitely have to speak.

They also got a whole new franchise, and a bunch of sequels out of it, even if they went direct to video!

Next we heard from Bruce Reitherman—Voice of Mowgli (The Jungle Book, 1967) and Christopher Robin (Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree, 1966)

His audition took place, “around the dining room table”, as he was the son of Willie Reitherman. He admitted that he was a little intimidated by whole voice over concept but since his father was working on these productions, that’s how he got into it. As a young kid, they put him in a HUGE room (designed for a 100 piece orchestra) with just two people, bright lights, very intimidating.

The other voices in the Jungle Book had to be HUGE personalities. He had to be an innocent 12 year old deciding if he was going to grow up or not.

I know they talked about Winnie the Pooh, but I don’t have anything in my notes about it. I must have been getting tired at this point and my notes are slipping!
Old 01-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #193
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

WOW! How cool to put real faces to the voices of the animated characters.

Absolutely fascinating update and I enjoyed reading every word and looking at everyone.

Oh.....and WOOF! (Hey - I can say that in English, French, German, Chinese, Spanish and Japanese. Note to self....remember to take up Russian!).

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #194
franandaj

Quote:
WOW! How cool to put real faces to the voices of the animated characters.

Absolutely fascinating update and I enjoyed reading every word and looking at everyone.

Oh.....and WOOF! (Hey - I can say that in English, French, German, Chinese, Spanish and Japanese. Note to self....remember to take up Russian!).
Don't forget Swahili!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #195
dgbg100106

Lovely update.

Even with note taking that is a lot of information.

And cute too with all the back stories

2013 Cruising adventures

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: