Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #16
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

I believe feral adult cats should be caught, sterlized, and left feral.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #17
PrincessBelle39
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to say that I think this is an awesome thing you are doing.
We did this ourselves a long time ago and had our cat (Emily) for 21 years. She wasn't feral by choice. She was feral because the people down the street moved and left her mother behind. Mum then disappeared herself. It took many months for her to adjust but it was a better option than letting her starve. She was an awesome little cat.
September 2005 - Disneyland, Desert Palms Inn & Suites
August 1999 - Disneyland, Park Vue Inn
February 1996 - Disneyland, Carousel Inn
November 1994 - Disneyland Paris
PrincessBelle39 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #18
hallie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
hallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #19
mackeysmom
Let's Go Mets!

Thanks for all of the good thoughts - I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sWDW4me View Post
Now the weather is getting pretty darned cold. I'd like to take Cosmo in but I worry about the other kitty - do they keep each other company? do they keep each other warm? I don't usually see them together but I don't really know how feral cat families interract with each other. If I do take Cosmo in, I'd definitely need to take him to the vet and get his shots/dewormed/tested for FHIV. That expense is daunting. Plus I have a rather small house - I'd need to keep him in a bedroom for a while until I knew it was safe health-wise to let Cosmo and Bear interract with each other. If he does happen to have worms or mites or whatever and he's "living" in my or DS's bedroom, would DS or I be at risk? If he winds up having leukemia or FHIV, I wouldn't want it spread to Bear but it would break my heart to kick Cosmo back outside.
I can't answer your question about whether or not they keep each other company, but as for the second part of your question, here's what I think. When I took Blackie in, I had another cat (my sweet Mackey, RIP). I was told to keep them separated for 2 weeks until Blackie was fully vaccinated and all of his tests came back clear. At my vet's advice, I kept Blackie in the spare bedroom for those 2 weeks, until I was given the "ok", so I think Cosmo would be fine in your son's bedroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliebird View Post
You know how I feel about it. Moo is lucky to have you, though I think this might throw poor Blackie over the edge lol
Good luck!
Thanks AnnMarie - Blackie adapted pretty well to Sunny Doodle, so I am holding out hope. Too bad we can't have a cousin-cat playdate - my Blackie and Doodle, and your Peanut and Cashew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
I respect your opinion. With Moo, I'm almost tempted to think that he was someone's house cat. There's just something about the way he acts, that makes me think he has had human contact in the past.

- Laura
mackeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #20
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

This happened with my sister, too. She was feeding a cat that she thought was feral but a few weeks later her neighbors told her that the cat belonged to another neighbor who said she didn't like the cat anymore and sent it to live outside in the cold(wouldn't put any food out, either) and then she herself moved shortly after that. My sister took the cat in and now he lives indoors.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #21
mackeysmom
Let's Go Mets!

UPDATE ...

On Sunday, I baited the humane trap. Within five minutes, Moo walked right in and set it off. I immediately brought him to the vet. My vet was concerned that he might be sick (due to what appeared to be an infection in his eyes), but didn't want to examine him until he was mildly sedated due to his anxiety. Within a few hours I got a call back from my vet. While he was under, she tested him for feline leukemia and aids (negative for both), she neutered him. He was given his first set of shots, got meds for de-worming, and got an exam. He has a bad upper respitory infection, an eye infection and was dehydrated.

She said he was still a little dopey (from the anesthesia) and suggested that I pick him up right then and there so I could get him settled in his cage before he was fully alert.

I brought him home and set him up in the same cage I had trained Blackie in. It is a dog crate that has a small covered cat carrier in it (so he can "hide" and feel secure), a litter box, a small bed, food and water dishes, a scratching post and a little perch.

It has been 5 days and we are making progress. By Wednesday, he had figured out what the litterbox is for and is also eating/drinking well. He has been spending most of his time sleeping - but the vet isn't concerned. She said that between the meds and the fact that he is (probably for the first time) able to sleep without fear of predators/the elements she anticipates that he'll spend the better part of the next week or so just sleeping.

He won't let me pet him. I tried too soon and got a little bite. He is very "hissy" when I'm at the cage (changing litter or filling dishes), but I just keep up a steady, even-toned, soft conversation with him and ignore it. I used a long backscratcher to "pet" him under his chin and he seemed to like it.

I realize that I'm going to have to go much slower with him than with Blackie. The vet estimated that he is somewhere between 2 - 3 years old, so it will be a little tougher.

The temperature has dropped the past few days and we are expecting snow tomorrow, so even though I know I have a long road ahead of me, I am happy with the decision I made. As I type this, he is sound asleep, curled up in his little bed.

I'll keep you guys updated.

- Laura
Old 12-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #22
IheartMickey
I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!

Good for you for being so kind. I had posted about wanting to feed the 3 strays around here and got blasted but ended up deciding to do it anyway. I was able to pet one of them and he was so skinny. We leave out dry food and water, and the skinny one has warmed up to me. He let me hold him and pet him.

I did see another woman calling them to her porch, so I think they're being fed by her too. But there used to be four, and now there's only 3. I think they're all siblings. I'm trying to figure out what to do for them, especially the skinny friendly one that I nicknamed Toby. He deserves a good home.
IheartMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #23
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring

I love this update!!! I would've done the same thing.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #24
Fly4free
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeysmom View Post
UPDATE ...

On Sunday, I baited the humane trap. Within five minutes, Moo walked right in and set it off. I immediately brought him to the vet. My vet was concerned that he might be sick (due to what appeared to be an infection in his eyes), but didn't want to examine him until he was mildly sedated due to his anxiety. Within a few hours I got a call back from my vet. While he was under, she tested him for feline leukemia and aids (negative for both), she neutered him. He was given his first set of shots, got meds for de-worming, and got an exam. He has a bad upper respitory infection, an eye infection and was dehydrated.

She said he was still a little dopey (from the anesthesia) and suggested that I pick him up right then and there so I could get him settled in his cage before he was fully alert.

I brought him home and set him up in the same cage I had trained Blackie in. It is a dog crate that has a small covered cat carrier in it (so he can "hide" and feel secure), a litter box, a small bed, food and water dishes, a scratching post and a little perch.

It has been 5 days and we are making progress. By Wednesday, he had figured out what the litterbox is for and is also eating/drinking well. He has been spending most of his time sleeping - but the vet isn't concerned. She said that between the meds and the fact that he is (probably for the first time) able to sleep without fear of predators/the elements she anticipates that he'll spend the better part of the next week or so just sleeping.

He won't let me pet him. I tried too soon and got a little bite. He is very "hissy" when I'm at the cage (changing litter or filling dishes), but I just keep up a steady, even-toned, soft conversation with him and ignore it. I used a long backscratcher to "pet" him under his chin and he seemed to like it.

I realize that I'm going to have to go much slower with him than with Blackie. The vet estimated that he is somewhere between 2 - 3 years old, so it will be a little tougher.

The temperature has dropped the past few days and we are expecting snow tomorrow, so even though I know I have a long road ahead of me, I am happy with the decision I made. As I type this, he is sound asleep, curled up in his little bed.

I'll keep you guys updated.

- Laura
Glad you took the little guy in and to the vet. You have such a good heart! I hate to think how he was suffering. Good luck with him, sounds like you have quite a job ahead of you.
Fly4free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #25
IheartMickey
I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!

Btw, you just gave me the push to contact a rescue for the kittens here, especially Toby. I've also posted on FB to see if anyone is interested in taking him in.
IheartMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #26
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

You did a wonderful thing.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #27
mackeysmom
Let's Go Mets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey View Post
Btw, you just gave me the push to contact a rescue for the kittens here, especially Toby. I've also posted on FB to see if anyone is interested in taking him in.
Good luck finding a home for Toby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan32WI View Post
I love this update!!! I would've done the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly4free View Post
Glad you took the little guy in and to the vet. You have such a good heart! I hate to think how he was suffering. Good luck with him, sounds like you have quite a job ahead of you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
You did a wonderful thing.

Thanks - I hope in time, he agrees!!

Here's a picture - it is from Sunday, so he looks a little sickly - you can see that his eyes aren't fully open due to the infection. I'll try to get a better one soon ...

Old 12-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #28
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

Moo Moo Love it!
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #29
Brit17
DIS Veteran

Moo is very lucky to have found you ... You are a very special person ... I hope Moo feels all better soon
Brit17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #30
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for doing this! Not many kind people around anymore so thank you for rescuing Moo!

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: