Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #16
CampFanatic
Earning My Ears

It's DEFINATELY worth it in my opinion. We've driven from Michigan to WDW many, many times - dating back to the 1980's. We now try to go every year or every other year due to the grandchildren. We do the drive (24 hours or more) in 2 or 3 days - depending on our work schedules, and spend 14 nights in Fort Wilderness.

Fort Wilderness April 2015, Fort Wilderness April 2013,
Fort Wilderness April 2010, Fort Wilderness April 2008
Fort Wilderness April 2007, Fort Wilderness April 1994
Fort Wilderness April 1993, Fort Wilderness April 1991
Fort Wilderness April 1989, Fort Wilderness Feb. 1987
Fort Wilderness April 1985,
Polynesian Resort November 1978
Disneyworld December 1972
CampFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
sirenia88
Earning My Ears

From my very limited experience at the fort, I found the West Coasters were generally those who were retired and didn't mind the drive out. They tended to stay for a longer around a month or so. Most of the people I talked to said they were pretty much East of the Mississippi with a 2 day travel range. When the family and I drove down from New Jersey, we were at 1150 miles one way. We planned 2 nights down and 1 night back. It would have been one night going down if we had left in the early morning instead of noonish. However, one thing with RVing, don't rush it. However, if your time is limited, I would suggest to looking into flying into Orlando. It might be worth having those extra days.

Good luck with your travel plans.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #18
msbegin
Mouseketeer

We have driven from CT to the Fort many times (approx 1200 miles) We usually do 7 hours, 10 hours and 7 hours.... but always play it by ear depending on weather, traffic and how tired DH gets.

We are in the process of trading our 5th wheel for a Class A. We may actually be able to drive almost straight through this trip because we will have 3 drivers (DH, myself and my 19 year old son)... with the class A we can take turns sleeping while the others are driving. Not gonna push it though..

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

1973 Disneyland
1978 Off site
1980 Fort Wilderness
1992 Dixie Landings Our Honeymoon
1995 Carribean Beach Resort - DS's 1st trip to DW
1999 Port Orleans - DH, DS & prego w/ twins!
2003 Fort Wilderness - DH, & ds8, ds3, ds3(first trip to FW w/ our new travel trailer!)
2006 Fort Wilderness
March 2013 Fort Wilderness It's been WAY too long since our last trip

msbegin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #19
lodge
DIS Veteran

I would love to park a unit down in Florida and visit multiple times yearly! I'm sure there are places that would do this, but it would have to cost less than renting one or wouldn't be worth it.........
Then ride a two wheeler down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampFanatic View Post
It's DEFINATELY worth it in my opinion, and spend 14 nights in Fort Wilderness.
THAT is AWESOME... 2 weeks there!!! WOW!
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #20
jbrostek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodge View Post
I would love to park a unit down in Florida and visit multiple times yearly! I'm sure there are places that would do this, but it would have to cost less than renting one or wouldn't be worth it.........
Then ride a two wheeler down!

THAT is AWESOME... 2 weeks there!!! WOW!
We are doing that this year. But we take a 2 week winter vacation every year and its usually a week in FL near or at the beach and a week at Disney.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:59 AM   #21
kellyla
Pooh Beanie-aholic
Soccer mom
Go Leafs Go!!

We towed our 35 footer in October from Ontario,Canada.Towed it Charlotte for a NASCAR weekend(1 14 hour day) then down to Fort Wilderness1 9.5 hour day)So worth to have your own place even though we spent about 1200 bucks on gas.We ended up going home through the Blue Ridge mountains during a snow storm thanks to Superstorm Sandy.Doing it again in October.
kellyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:13 AM   #22
tlkgt76
"If you can dream it, you can do it." Walt Disney

Well, we're not towing our 32' Holiday Rambler, because my husband's truck gets 5mpg towing (not a mistake, he's got a F350 with a V10!), but we are planning on driving from the Central Illinois area.

I used to trek down with my dad to Pensacola and Cocoa years ago, but haven't been on a long roadtrip in years.

We decided to drive this time because last December we ended up taking the same amount of time to fly as the 18 hour drive (three hours to O'Hare, then spent the night, then flight with one stop in Atlanta). This time I figured heck, might as well just save some $$ and take my car!

I'm hoping we can get down there by driving straight through and back at the end doing the same.

Anybody got any suggestions coming from the Peoria, IL area to get down there FAST??
ASM - September 2009
Pop/AKL - December 2011
Disney Dream/Poly/CBR-Pirate - March/April 2013
Disneyland Hotel - September 2014
tlkgt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #23
4daubers
I'll never have the swell post that bags a tag

We tow from central Texas. We usually stay the first night at the KOA near Minton, Florida and push to WDW the next day. We have taken three days when time allows and stayed an additional road night at a state park near WDW.

For us, the trip is part of the adventure and adds to the excitement. We love the FW magic and comfort of our own camper.

2010, 2008 WDW Christmas at Fort Wilderness July Trips 2007, 2002 Fort Wilderness and 1997 All Stars
2007 Cardinal 33 TBHLE 2009 F 350 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel 4x4
4daubers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #24
jeepfreak
Mouseketeer

We've driven our class A motorhomes down almost every year since 1999. It's about 1400 miles and we stop twice on the way down. Useally drive 12hrs the first day 8-10 the second and arrive at the Fort around 2 pm the 3rd day.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:14 AM   #25
RoyalBlunders
Always a Princess but by no means Perfect!

HEY Fellow Midwest mama!!!
Excited to see your post. What part of ND are you in? We live in Moorhead MN (work in ND) but I grew up in Jamestown ND. We just did the drive this past Aug and we will do it again this coming Aug. We are in a 36 FT Class Super C (Diesel) but we also tow a 30 ft trailer. I think the biggest issue is making sure you have time for breaks. DH does all our driving so for the rest of our family we are able to get up move around but for him it's the stops that make the difference. We broke it up into 3 600 mile days. We also boondocked the way home so once we found a Wal-Mart around our 600 mile mark, we called it a day and ran in to restock on food, snacks, and a few new games or toys for the little ones. We had a blast but traveling is part of our life for work as well so being in an RV was a real treat. Some don't have the luxury of time on their side to take the 3 days there, 3 days back plus play time while you are there. How much time do you have total? We have stayed in the value resorts, moderate and deluxe. This summer was our first time camping and when we asked our kids which they liked best they all said CAMPING! They are so excited to go again this summer. We are headed down for work again but we are staying there the entire time plus a little extra for some down time. All this really is just to say, if you want to drive, don't get discouraged. We did it with 4 kiddos and we survived and are doing it again!!!
Jan.2007-Pop Century * Sept.2008-All Star Music * Aug.2009-Off Site * Feb.2010-Saratoga Springs * Jan.2011-Disneyland * July 2011-Disneyland * Dec.2011-POR!! First time for the Holidays!!! * Aug 2012 Fort Wilderness Campsites-First time RV!
RoyalBlunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #26
5stljayhawks
Rock Chawk Jayhawk

First off , yes it is worth the trip, just make sure you have that 11- 14 nights to stay, otherwise not worth it. We were 12 nights and only parked 6 days last trip to the fort.

I am out of St. Louis. 1050 miles - It takes two days. 12 hours & 8 hours. With two primary ways to get there.

If you want easy no mountains, come down 29 to KC - 70 to stl then 55 south to memphis - Graceland RV park is a must!!!!! and Marlows BBQ has pink limo that will pick you up and drop you off for dinner from the campground. then you cut across and hit 10 in FL west of tallahasse. it is around 50 - 100 mile longer but way easier drive with out major surprises that atlanata route can offer (also have chattanogga/nashville) and highway 10 across top of flordia is a breeze to 75

OR you can take the nashville route through atlanata which can be a breeze OR OR OR the 2-3 hour parking jam... If you do go through atlanta, there is a KOA 10 -20 miles south in Foryth. Nice place easy on and off. From STL it's 650 miles leaving 450 the next day to fort (sleep in alittle and a late afternoon arrival.)
2/07 - CSR Valentines with the Wife
10/08 – FW Halloween D 5, S 2.99yrs, D 9 mths
2/10 – CSR (Wife works and I Fish/Golf) 12/10 – FW Christmas D7.83,S5,D2.99.
10/12 - Halloween/MMNSSP Art of Anim & Poly DD9.51,DS6.96,DD4.79
3/14 Wife & Daughter work@ CSR 6/14 Family @ FW DD11,DS8.23DD6.45
Next trip - Unknown (:-( Hopefully soon, got the bug..!
[/SIZE]
5stljayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #27
serenitygr
Mouseketeer

We are coming for the first time in motorhome this Christmas from northern mn- almost 1800i miles! Staying 12 nights. Husband is a truck driver, so that's a big advantage! Can't wait!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #28
whiplash
Earning My Ears

Smile Former DVC member

Former DVC owner for 6 years, visited the "FORT" on one of the trips.........sold our DVC, bought a 5th. whl and now FORT WILDERNESS is our "Home Resort". We are about 1200 miles away (Sandusky, Ohio) and LOVE the trip! Plan at least one trip a year, next trip 63 days out with 3 of our Grand Kids (their 1st time) By the way, DW and I are 65 years old
and 25 when we're at Disney Never too old !!!!!!!! Enjoy !!!
whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #29
lodge
DIS Veteran

As far as Forrest Gump will run... then back.
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #30
CamperMomma
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalBlunders View Post
HEY Fellow Midwest mama!!!
Excited to see your post. What part of ND are you in? We live in Moorhead MN (work in ND) but I grew up in Jamestown ND. We just did the drive this past Aug and we will do it again this coming Aug. We are in a 36 FT Class Super C (Diesel) but we also tow a 30 ft trailer. I think the biggest issue is making sure you have time for breaks. DH does all our driving so for the rest of our family we are able to get up move around but for him it's the stops that make the difference. We broke it up into 3 600 mile days. We also boondocked the way home so once we found a Wal-Mart around our 600 mile mark, we called it a day and ran in to restock on food, snacks, and a few new games or toys for the little ones. We had a blast but traveling is part of our life for work as well so being in an RV was a real treat. Some don't have the luxury of time on their side to take the 3 days there, 3 days back plus play time while you are there. How much time do you have total? We have stayed in the value resorts, moderate and deluxe. This summer was our first time camping and when we asked our kids which they liked best they all said CAMPING! They are so excited to go again this summer. We are headed down for work again but we are staying there the entire time plus a little extra for some down time. All this really is just to say, if you want to drive, don't get discouraged. We did it with 4 kiddos and we survived and are doing it again!!!
Hey there! Sorry, I'm terrible about re-checking my threads. We're in Grand Forks! (on the air base actually) Sadly, we'd only have about a week to do all the travel, so hauling the camper I think will need to wait. But the perk about the military is maybe *fingers crossed* our next base will be closer to FL and we can do a trip! Or, maybe my job will become more giving with time off! (ok...so that'll never happen )

2007 Dodge MegaCab 2500
2013 Outback 250 RS

Trips to come -
late 2015/early 2016 We need to move closer to the Fort!
CamperMomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: