Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #16
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

What i used to do was feed my DS before we went and then just buy him dessert.

WDW will try to accommodate him but they can't serve what they don't have.

Bringing outside food into a TS restaurant for a child older then baby food stage isn't something you should really do
Old 12-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #17
carly chloe
DIS Veteran

I have to agree that only having about 2 kids choices isn't much. I don't eat meat and they only have 1 choice for that and it's quinoa- which I don't like. So what do vegetarians do? The rest of my family loves meat though so should they be penalized because there not more choices on the menu for vegetarians? I LOVE Beauty and the Beast so I would to experience the dinner meal. It is hard to feed kids along with adults something they don't like. Would they get mad if you make ressies for 5 people but only 3 are going to eat?
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #18
carolinakk
Mouseketeer

Ok so I lied about posting again

I honestly don't know why me bringing a pbj and applesauce I made at home is a health code violation. Can someone explain? I'm not well versed in health codes. My food is not going into the kitchen, just from my bag to my kids mouth.

Anyone have specific wording or info on this?

I only see where it would be a $ issue- they think they are losing $ on an entree. My point on that is, I wouldn't have paid for an entree in the first place since I know it won't be eaten by my kid.

Seriously though, not trying to beat a dead horse, i just honestly don't understand the health code issue.
carolinakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #19
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredith1 View Post
OP-I'd just go and he can eat what they offer. If it doesn't meet his approval well, there isn't much you can do.
OK, first, many congrats to RadioFanatic on the 2012 1/2 Marathon and good luck with the marathon next month!!! I used to run a ton before kids and now that our middle son (age 12) is into cross country, I have a chance to get into it again and train for the DL 10K! (He's too young for the 1/2 now, but we'll be at WDW for it in 2015!!!)

So speaking of the original question and our middle son, I once thought he was the pickiest eater ever. Our oldest (13) eats like an adult and our youngest (5) is somewhere in between. So at WDW and elsewhere, we find a mix of places that appeal to everyone. That means that sometimes there is something on the menu for our middle son to love and sometimes not. We don't choose the restaurants based on his pickiness and we don't bring something else for him to eat. And in the end, he is still always happy and has a great attitude. Sometimes he orders a more plain variation of an existing menu item and it's fine. Sometimes he orders a menu item "as is" and doesn't like it much. Now that he's older, he occasionally orders new stuff and actually likes it. And sometimes he tries new stuff and doesn't like it at all, but hey, he tried. We've found that Disney is very accommodating when he orders something plain, although we've never asked to go off-menu completely.

Raising boys with dramatically different eating styles, I'll just share that I think it will all be OK at BOG. Our middle son will probably order a plain variation of something, and then there will be pizza and hamburgers at the next meal we eat. He's super excited about BOG and isn't letting the menu deter him.

Good luck with BOG and the marathon!!!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AOA/AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL/CR
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #20
RadioFanatic
Mouseketeer
SO not a jewelry gal
I would like to introduce dh and myself - Doofus and Sleezy Chuckledoodle

Thank you Pixarmim, I truly appreciate your kind words and know you will get back into it too! Doing these runs got me to start being healthy, starting in 5/11 when I started to train for the 1/2, losing 85 pounds in the process. So BOG is a meal I want to celebrate and I'm doing chef Mickey, garden grill and others I'm not a fan if bc my son is.

RadioFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #21
TwoCortWort
A Buckeye Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFanatic View Post
So, I'm going to BOG for lunch once and dinner once. As I have a picky eater who can easily outlast me on the not eating for days if it's not something he can stomach, I'm not really seeing anything on the menu he would like. so I would love to hear from other parents with this issue and what they have done to help with it or what Disney has done to help. I was thinking of bringing in apple sauce cups and maybe buying something from another WDW eatery and bringing it in for him to eat but would love to hear other parent's solutions.

Thanks!
We actually did this our recent trip...no children but my mom did since she didn't want to eat at America at Epcot, she went and got suishi at Japan and brought it in. But I am not sure about BOG, I can't imagine it would be an issue. I am a very picky eater and found something on the lunch menu on our recent trip and will most likely have the Cornish hen when we have dinner there in April.

TwoCortWort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #22
TwoCortWort
A Buckeye Disney Princess

Quote:
Thank you Pixarmim, I truly appreciate your kind words and know you will get back into it too! Doing these runs got me to start being healthy, starting in 5/11 when I started to train for the 1/2, losing 85 pounds in the process. So BOG is a meal I want to celebrate and I'm doing chef Mickey, garden grill and others I'm not a fan if bc my son is.
Congrats on your weight loss. I have loss 102lb in the past 2 years and my advice is to enjoy yourself on this vacation and not worry about what is going in your mouth. I do not regret this at all the past two weeks, I gained 5lb but it was the first time I relaxed in over 2 years.

TwoCortWort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #23
3DisneyBuggs
The only way I would fly is if John Travolta is the pilot!
Maroon is my color, like the pom poms!
Now I owe tag tax

I love some of the healthier items WDW restaurants have on their kid;s menu. I wish my kids would think the same. Last week we went to an Italian restaurant and my 7 yo would not eat. They had no chicken nuggets on the menu and there was "nothing good" on it. My other 2 enjoyed a good meal and my 7 yo enjoyed some bread. I think some kids just want their nuggets and fries and are afraid to try new things. MY DH didn't eat roasted peppers till he married me. LOL So no real advice except to feed him a little before and maybe he will be brave and try something new.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #24
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinakk View Post
Ok so I lied about posting again

I honestly don't know why me bringing a pbj and applesauce I made at home is a health code violation. Can someone explain? I'm not well versed in health codes. My food is not going into the kitchen, just from my bag to my kids mouth.

Anyone have specific wording or info on this?

I only see where it would be a $ issue- they think they are losing $ on an entree. My point on that is, I wouldn't have paid for an entree in the first place since I know it won't be eaten by my kid.

Seriously though, not trying to beat a dead horse, i just honestly don't understand the health code issue.
It's not against the health code, don't worry. You are not allowed to send outside food into the kitchen (to be heated up for example, or an outside cake cut up). Bringing in food and putting it on the table for your kid to eat is fine. Restaurants may not care for it, but that's a separate issue.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #25
DisneyMom2Boyz
Mouseketeer

My suggestion would be a good snack before dinner so that if tney can't offer someting your child would like your child won't be starving. Then you can easily grab something at a counter service after. This board is for questions to help people not to post nasty comments. Its hard finding resturants to please everbody and for the price of tne table service meals adults should be able to enjoy the meal for the cost! Goodl luck, I'm sure it will work out for you and your family, after all its Disney!!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #26
RadioFanatic
Mouseketeer
SO not a jewelry gal
I would like to introduce dh and myself - Doofus and Sleezy Chuckledoodle

Thanks all for your kind words and help-and amazing job with the 102 pound loss! I bow to you!

And I apologized for snapping at others. I just wish people would really think before they post as to whether what they say is going to be helpful or hurtful and try to be nice.

RadioFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #27
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Personally, i think it is okay to bring in your own snacks, etc that you bring to the park from your hotel or condo but I dont agree with bringing in a full meal from another restaurant. I personally think that is tacky...and this is coming from someone with almost a dozen allergies who cant eat at most places (except in disney) I would never dream of bringing a meal from another restaurant with me to a different restaurant in the "real" world so I don't think it is acceptable in Disney.

I would either feed him something beforehand and just have some snacks for him at the restaurant or choose another place.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #28
cseca
My legs are wimpy but my will is stronger...

I think you'd have a little more problem at lunch than dinner.
At least for dinner you can put a note in your reservation regarding some dietary issue so the chef and server could accommodate you.
And disney restaurants are generally pretty good with that.

Lunch you are pretty much stuck with whatever kiosk ordering system given options.
I think for this you can either opt to what other posters have mentioned, either eat a light snack before hand or bring in at least a little something that your child can snack on in case there's absolutely no appealing option.

Good luck!
cseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #29
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So, I'm going to BOG for lunch once and dinner once. As I have a picky eater who can easily outlast me on the not eating for days if it's not something he can stomach, I'm not really seeing anything on the menu he would like. so I would love to hear from other parents with this issue and what they have done to help with it or what Disney has done to help. I was thinking of bringing in apple sauce cups and maybe buying something from another WDW eatery and bringing it in for him to eat but would love to hear other parent's solutions.

Thanks!
Don't have actual experience but is there absolutely nothing your child can eat on the menu? Look at the entire menu.

Steak, fish, macaroni, chicken breast, rice pilaf, seasonal vegetables, fruit cup, garden salad.

That's the dinner one. I'm sure Disney can put together something in that list for your child to eat.

Lunch - turkey sandwich, pork, meatloaf, mahi mahi, macaroni, sweet potato wedges, peach applesauce, green beans, mashed sweet potatoes, broccoli florets and zucchini, finger salad. Again, mix and match - you might have to wait a while for the preparation but it can be done.

Just ask.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #30
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

You could probably bring in something like applesauce cups, but from the way it is set up you will probably not want to carry in a full meal from another restaurant, even if that's allowed, and I'm not certain it is. At lunch you would have to carry that meal from the time you enter the restaurant, through ordering, until you find a place to sit down. They will not allow you to enter the restaurant and pick seats before you order. I would feed the child elsewhere first and then bring in some applesauce cups to keep him busy while the rest of you eat.

Quote:
At least for dinner you can put a note in your reservation regarding some dietary issue
This is generally intended for medical or allergy issues - I personally can't recommend using it for picky children. Not talking about autistic kids or anything, but just the ones who want their chicken nuggets. Chicken nuggets are widely available - just not at Be Our Guest. It's a simple enough solution to feed the child elsewhere and buy them dessert or bring in snacks.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 12-29-2012 at 11:22 AM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: