Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
RadioFanatic
Mouseketeer
SO not a jewelry gal
I would like to introduce dh and myself - Doofus and Sleezy Chuckledoodle

Kid alternatives at BOG?

So, I'm going to BOG for lunch once and dinner once. As I have a picky eater who can easily outlast me on the not eating for days if it's not something he can stomach, I'm not really seeing anything on the menu he would like. so I would love to hear from other parents with this issue and what they have done to help with it or what Disney has done to help. I was thinking of bringing in apple sauce cups and maybe buying something from another WDW eatery and bringing it in for him to eat but would love to hear other parent's solutions.

Thanks!

RadioFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
gwmort
DIS Veteran

My son had a grilled chicken breast and they allowed him to get french fries instead of the pasta side, he enjoyed it and is generally pretty picky.
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
mid630
Mouseketeer

I have the opposite problem.....my son LOVES quiche and is already beyond disappointed that he can't get the veggie quiche with the DDP. So I promised him we'd pay OOP for one. Really wish there was a little more flexibility with the kids menus. Guess we'll figure out something to do with the extra CS credit.
mid630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFanatic View Post
So, I'm going to BOG for lunch once and dinner once. As I have a picky eater who can easily outlast me on the not eating for days if it's not something he can stomach, I'm not really seeing anything on the menu he would like. so I would love to hear from other parents with this issue and what they have done to help with it or what Disney has done to help. I was thinking of bringing in apple sauce cups and maybe buying something from another WDW eatery and bringing it in for him to eat but would love to hear other parent's solutions.

Thanks!
If your child can't eat what is on the menu then you need to take him somewhere where he can eat what's on the menu. There are all kinds of restaurants that serve the crappy junk food that so many parents allow their children to eat. Why must it always be up to the restaurant to come up with alternatives to children with eating problems? And I am most definitely NOT talking about those with actual, real, dietary restrictions. Flame away.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
RadioFanatic
Mouseketeer
SO not a jewelry gal

If you actually read my post you would note I asked for suggestions of what I could do that disney would accept. Most restaurants I have picked for him but I'm allowed a choice too. I just didn't want to get in trouble for bringing something in.

And thank you for commenting on my parenting. I will make sure to do so on a post of yours one day, returning the favor.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
owl0306
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
If your child can't eat what is on the menu then you need to take him somewhere where he can eat what's on the menu. There are all kinds of restaurants that serve the crappy junk food that so many parents allow their children to eat. Why must it always be up to the restaurant to come up with alternatives to children with eating problems? And I am most definitely NOT talking about those with actual, real, dietary restrictions. Flame away.
seriously! my kids don't eat typical kids meal garbage. I love BOG for its better tasting, healthier options
owl0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
Irishgrl
Mouseketeer

On our last trip my Lo had just tuned 2 as was on one of his hunger strikes.... A lot of the restaurants offered him a bowl of pasta w butter free of charge. However i found that it was easier to feed him before we went to some place he wouldn't eat anything from and than gave him snack while we ate and brought some thing to keep him occupied. Another suggestion is to see if there is something you can just get a side of too. GL!!!
Irishgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
meredith1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Yeah, I'd agree completely in my prior life before having kids. Easier said than done minnie mum.

OP-I'd just go and he can eat what they offer. If it doesn't meet his approval well, there isn't much you can do.

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
meredith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
carolinakk
Mouseketeer

I think you are entitled to bring in whatever you need to bring for your family. I always have snacks and side items (sometimes even full meals) for my kiddos in the diaper bag to supplement meals if needed. We go where the menu sounds good for us as parents first and foremost and just hope for the best with the kiddos. They have a pb&j or grilled cheese, great. If not, who knows maybe she will actually try grilled chicken, or at least not make a face at it . Do what you have to do to have fun and all be happy! And never hurts to ask the servers what your options are. If adults can be picky and sub things in and out of their meals why is it such a big deal for kids. They won't be picky forever (we hope). I'm not sure why people get so bent out of shape when we ask about accommodations for picky eaters- we parents need to stick together, we will all have our struggles, right?!
carolinakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredith1 View Post

OP-I'd just go and he can eat what they offer. If it doesn't meet his approval well, there isn't much you can do.
That's my advice, too. If a kid's truly not hungry enough to eat what's available, I wouldn't force the issue.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
RadioFanatic
Mouseketeer
SO not a jewelry gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
My son had a grilled chicken breast and they allowed him to get french fries instead of the pasta side, he enjoyed it and is generally pretty picky.
LOVE your pic - hope we get to do the same!

Old 12-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
RadioFanatic
Mouseketeer
SO not a jewelry gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl0306 View Post
seriously! my kids don't eat typical kids meal garbage. I love BOG for its better tasting, healthier options
did you see me complain about the menu? I didn't. I'm really looking forward to it. But I'm not going to (a) waste money on food he is not going to eat; and (b) cause a scene in teh middle of a restaurant.

I really wasn't asking for parenting digs. Just a question about options to make life a little easier on my vacation. I will fight the food battle, as I do, at home. But I would rather not at a place I want to relax. And he does eat healthy - just not necessarily those items.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
RadioFanatic
Mouseketeer
SO not a jewelry gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinakk View Post
I think you are entitled to bring in whatever you need to bring for your family. I always have snacks and side items (sometimes even full meals) for my kiddos in the diaper bag to supplement meals if needed. We go where the menu sounds good for us as parents first and foremost and just hope for the best with the kiddos. They have a pb&j or grilled cheese, great. If not, who knows maybe she will actually try grilled chicken, or at least not make a face at it . Do what you have to do to have fun and all be happy! And never hurts to ask the servers what your options are. If adults can be picky and sub things in and out of their meals why is it such a big deal for kids. They won't be picky forever (we hope). I'm not sure why people get so bent out of shape when we ask about accommodations for picky eaters- we parents need to stick together, we will all have our struggles, right?!
thank you very much - this is what I was talking about. I appreciate it.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #14
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFanatic View Post
thank you very much - this is what I was talking about. I appreciate it.
Unfortunately, I don't agree that you should bring outside food into a table service restaurant. I think it is actually against health codes, but I could be wrong. I agree with the others who have said that if the menu doesn't work for your party, whether the issue is for a child or an adult, the practical solution is to find a venue that works for all.
Good Luck
Old 12-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
carolinakk
Mouseketeer

I'd have to bring food for a baby or toddler just learning to eat finger foods, so I don't think bringing some outside food is an issue. If it was we'd never be able to eat out. It's one thing to bring in a few side things for the kids, but I probably wouldn't bring in a full meal from another restaurant.

Anyways, running this into the ground won't help anyone so I'm done... At least on this thread

Good luck to all eaters at WDW- picky and non
carolinakk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: