Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #1816
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwdw View Post
Officially booked for the end of April with Visa discount last night and I only had to wait on hold for about 15min! Had a great CM who talked me into tickets too. Still hoping for airfare at a reasonable rate to make this happen and also praying I heal from an injury so I can enjoy Disney pain free! Keeping fingers crossed but I am so excited to stay at POR! Thank you for all you patience and help in answering my million questions to make my choice! Subscribing to this thread now! As the months go by, I may have more questions.
Congrats on booking your trip! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for your injury to heal quickly. I went this past September injured, and believe me, it was a whole new experience than going healthy.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #1817
vicky33006
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone! Because of the Disney Visa discount, we have upgraded from AoA to POR! I'm so excited! I've never stayed in a moderate resort before so this is very exciting! I have so many questions so I need to really read through this thread. Thanks so much for having this thread

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #1818
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

32 days & counting!!

We have a bit of a dilemma - at least in my mind; wondering if there is anything we can do?

We did the big Disney reveal for the kids on Christmas morning. BIG mistake. There was too much excitement for them to really absorb it so not the huge reactions i was hoping for. Anyway, fast forward to yesterday and everyone is jumping up & down as I start sharing little bits of info. I mentioned that the 3 younger kiddos (see sig) will get a little button since it is their 1st visit. The older 2 are feeling left out of the magic of that . They have been before but they were both so young that they don't really remember anything - unless we show them the pics as proof LOL

Yes, they are older but at 9 & 11: they are still just kids.

What does the DIS say??
Old 12-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #1819
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mouseketeersforus View Post
32 days & counting!!

We have a bit of a dilemma - at least in my mind; wondering if there is anything we can do?

We did the big Disney reveal for the kids on Christmas morning. BIG mistake. There was too much excitement for them to really absorb it so not the huge reactions i was hoping for. Anyway, fast forward to yesterday and everyone is jumping up & down as I start sharing little bits of info. I mentioned that the 3 younger kiddos (see sig) will get a little button since it is their 1st visit. The older 2 are feeling left out of the magic of that . They have been before but they were both so young that they don't really remember anything - unless we show them the pics as proof LOL

Yes, they are older but at 9 & 11: they are still just kids.

What does the DIS say??
Are you asking if you can get "First Visit" buttons for the older two as well? You can if you want to.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #1820
vicky33006
Mouseketeer

OK...my first question...

We are staying in a standard room. I definitely prefer the Magnolia section to the Alligator Bayou section. I'm wondering which buildings I should request in order to be closest to the food court? The Oak building only has Royal Rooms correct? I'm just looking for the best place to request as far as walking distance to the food court.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #1821
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan

Are you asking if you can get "First Visit" buttons for the older two as well? You can if you want to.
Or a sticker or something to acknowledge them KWIM? They asked where their 1st visit buttons were from their visit but DH & I were totally clueless about these kinds of things so we never asked. Now i feel bad.

Technically it isn't their 1st visit so i didn't want to say it was.

ETA: i just don't want them to feel left out. Is this a "suck it up buttercup" situation??
Old 12-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #1822
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mouseketeersforus View Post
Or a sticker or something to acknowledge them KWIM? They asked where their 1st visit buttons were from their visit but DH & I were totally clueless about these kinds of things so we never asked. Now i feel bad.

Technically it isn't their 1st visit so i didn't want to say it was.

ETA: i just don't want them to feel left out. Is this a "suck it up buttercup" situation??
When you check in you could tell the CM that it's the first visit for all of you together. You would be telling the truth. The kids would all get a pin and your conscience would be clear.

Or, you must be able to think of something that the older kids are celebrating. They'll write anything on the pin for them. It's not a big deal, it's not like pool hopping or reusing old mugs.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #1823
princessand2princes
Earning My Ears

Has anyone ever used Amazon prime to ship things like diapers, wipes, water, snacks etc to POR? I was thinking this might be easier than lugging it along with us (traveling with twins in diapers and will be there for 9 days so a ton if diapers!!). Just wondered if this has worked well for others? With prime, it would get there in 2 days, so I was planning on ordering some things 4 days out donut round be there when we arrive.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #1824
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Thanks I will relay this info along to IT.
Could you also mention that it's still bringing up the old site for me? I'm UK based, but I still see old site even when I bypass their STUPID automatic divert to the UK site. (If I'd wanted to see the British site, I would have typed ".co.uk" not ".com" in the first place ... grrr!!! Or at the very least offer the divert as an option, which is what the serious online companies like Amazon do, and then allow that choice to be sticky via cookies)

On the other hand I guess it is quite reassuring to still be able to read about what fun I'm going to have when I check in at the Colonel's Cotton Mill building... (and after ten years I do wish that was now just a joke, but it really does still say that).

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 12-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #1825
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Could you also mention that it's still bringing up the old site for me? I'm UK based, but I still see old site even when I bypass their STUPID automatic divert to the UK site. (If I'd wanted to see the British site, I would have typed ".co.uk" not ".com" in the first place ... grrr!!! Or at the very least offer the divert as an option, which is what the serious online companies like Amazon do, and then allow that choice to be sticky via cookies)

On the other hand I guess it is quite reassuring to still be able to read about what fun I'm going to have when I check in at the Colonel's Cotton Mill building... (and after ten years I do wish that was now just a joke, but it really does still say that).

Andre
Sure ill mention it!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #1826
wdwmaw
planin' next trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley
A quick question for anyone staying at POR at the moment, or very soon... if you happen to be wandering around the Bayou, could you do me a favour and help me out with some research by letting me know any one or two specific room numbers/locations in building 28?

The easiest ones to locate (as they are near to the ice/vending room) would be the ones I've marked as A, B, C and D on this plan, but any ground-floor room that you can give me a specific number for would be great.

Thanks for the help.

Andre
The bldg is confusing looking at your map. But here is what I see (D) 2801, (A) 2816, (B) 2817, and (C) 2831. If these don't sound right I will run back over there. Got out and it started to rain, rushed to leave didn't want to get wet, I melt hahahaha. That bldg is right behind me so I just ran back there. Another reference, from the parking lot up the handicap ramp, if I go up the ramp and turn left the first room number is 2808. Hope this helps and my numbering is correct, I am going to double check because your map didn't look like the bldg. layout, could be me though.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

24 trips and plannin' the next 1

Last edited by wdwmaw; 12-28-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added info
Old 12-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #1827
lillykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessand2princes View Post
Has anyone ever used Amazon prime to ship things like diapers, wipes, water, snacks etc to POR? I was thinking this might be easier than lugging it along with us (traveling with twins in diapers and will be there for 9 days so a ton if diapers!!). Just wondered if this has worked well for others? With prime, it would get there in 2 days, so I was planning on ordering some things 4 days out donut round be there when we arrive.
I didn't use amazon prime but last trip DD#2 turned one ( we stayed at the poly). I shipped a med size uhaul box ground with fedex. It was about 25 lbs (diapers, wipes, swimmies, disposible placemats, take and toss cups and silverware and santizing wipes. ) Cost about $17 or $18. You can price it right on their site if you know weight and size of box. Shipped it on the Friday a week before our Sat arrival. It was signed for on wed night and waiting in our room with our bags from ME. We also did garden grocer for milk, yogurt, bottled water, juice boxes, snacks and breakfast. So easy when you have little ones. I didn't want to ship food bc I wasn't sure if it would arrive okay. Would do it again if I had things I didn't want to bring home again. So easy and cheaper than brining an extra bag depending on airline.
May 2013 POR Princess Trip! May 2010 POLY DD#2's 1st birthdaySept 2008 POLY - DD#1's 1st tripApril 2004 - AKL honeymoonJanuary 2002 at AKL
Old 12-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #1828
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

My husband just called to add my birthday to our reservation and to add a room request of bldg 16 or 17. When he got off the phone he told me the CM told him he put down a request for bldg 14 (a preferred room, which we didn't pay for - did garden view) or Oak (which we can't stay in because we have 5 people!) so it seems like the CM didn't really know what he was doing, doesn't it? Neither one of those requests woud be valid. I'm frustrated with both him and my husband!

Planning a 2014 trip to celebrate our son's 10th!
February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!
October 26th - November 7th 2011 ~ Off site ~ Second Family Trip
January 26th - February 4th 2010 ~ Off site ~ First Family Trip
April 2004 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2002 ~ Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
Old 12-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #1829
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Hey all, just switched ressie to POR may 5 - 15 King bed .... but .... we are ONLY interested in Magnolia bend .... Alligator bayou i am sure is cool for some but is actually not at all our taste. I really cant believe its the same resort. The decor and grounds are much more similar to French quarter than bayou.

Anyway, I know the cms say there isnt .... but ... any wah to ensure you get mag bend ? Or to increase your chances ???
Old 12-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #1830
livinlife25
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
Hey all, just switched ressie to POR may 5 - 15 King bed .... but .... we are ONLY interested in Magnolia bend .... Alligator bayou i am sure is cool for some but is actually not at all our taste. I really cant believe its the same resort. The decor and grounds are much more similar to French quarter than bayou.

Anyway, I know the cms say there isnt .... but ... any wah to ensure you get mag bend ? Or to increase your chances ???
Book a royal room

April 2014- Pop Century
Jan 2013- POR
Sep 2009- AKL
2 visits in 1990's- OKW
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: