Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #16
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedogged View Post
We stayed at GF earlier this month and because of the transportation issues with the Monorail and our particular situation, I don't think we will stay at a Monorail hotel until the issues have been addressed and rectified. It's just not worth the extra expense and the frustration to us.

Three times the charm: After our third stay at Bay Lake Tower, I discovered that walking to the MK was seemingly shorter than taking the Monorail.

I will add, weather permitted.

We mostly walk to/from HS & EP when staying at the Boardwalk hotels.

The less we use Disney transportation, the fewer complaints we seem to have.

All in all, and despite a few fiascoes, we still find Disney transportation fairly reliable.

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - Best Value/bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0* - View of Animals on Savannah), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (2*)
-- Items in BOLD are personal favorites.

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2016?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2014?).
Old 12-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #17
jgh
Peter Pan!

I've been to the park too many times to count (25...30 plus?) and just tried my FIRST Dole Whip in October 2012.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #18
MomTo3PrincessesInNJ
Mouseketeer

I will not waste a park ticket on our arrival day, no matter how early we get to WDW.

We arrived @ MCO around 9:30a and were in DHS by 1:00p. By 3p we were all EXHAUSTED and ready for bed. We woke the girls up @ 3:45a to get to the airport for our 7am flight out and we were all ready to be done for the day, but we stuck it out until 8:30p.

It was our first time and I wanted to do as much as possible in 5 days, but I really wish we used the arrival day to explore our resort and let the girls swim and play at the resort.

Next time we won't fly out so early, so we can all sleep in, and we'll hang out at the resort and maybe go to DTD on our arrival day -- no more heading straight to a park!
January 2013, Pop!
December 2013, POR-Alligator Bayou
March 2014, Pop! {Solo}
November 2014 {Jersey Week}, CSR- Business Class w/Free Dining

~~~~~~~~~Taking a Disney Break! Not sure when we'll be back...~~~~~~~~~
Old 12-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #19
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

I am embarassed to say that after more trips to the World than I can count, I have never even heard of a Dole Whip, let alone ate one! Oh the humanity!!!!!! In fact, I never even heard of it before I hit the DIS last year. Maybe because I don't spend a lot of time at the MK (the DH hates it and we tend to stick to a more "adult" Mouse trip). Someone PLEASE save me from my Dole Whip ignorance!!!!

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #20
WDW2012
Mouseketeer

Despite the fact that I've stalked these boards and have learned so much, this past trip I felt like I made a lot of mistakes. We had too many dinner reservations that caused us to leave the parks early. We also made the big mistake of not getting to the parks at rope drop. I am chalking it up to the fact that my in laws were with us and that stressed me out greatly I have vowed that next time will be better and we HAVE to plan another trip to make up for it

'80/'83/'90 off-site; '93 CBR; '96 ASM; '98 Dolphin; '05 off-site; '09 THV; '10 YC; '12 SSR; '14 off-site

First Attempt at a Dining Report:
Gluten Free/Dairy Free/Corn Free but not free dining
Old 12-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #21
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

My mistake -- taking the Free Dining offer instead of the applicable discounts. Won't do that again...
Old 12-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #22
kapoof
DIS Veteran

I will never go during a holiday. One trip we went during spring break...never ever again! I can't imagine going over Christmas...I would much rather get Disney tickets for a christmas present and leave after new years. Way way less crowds and cheaper rooms too.

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
Old 12-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #23
MagicalMawMaw
DIS Veteran

When we went to Ohana for supper from CSR this was of course the only one time we ran into bus issues.

After waiting ages for a bus to MK we finally decided to take the HS bus & go from there by bus to Poly. Wow...big big mistake!! HS was crazy & the bus line unreal long. The bus took forever to arrive & then we found the Poly shares a bus with 2 other deluxes.

We allowed 1 & 1/2 hours to arrive so would be there early...& was almost a hour late!

Never, ever again...will I do that. Lesson learned...get the MK bus as usual or save stress & get a taxi.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #24
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

Our past trips, especially the past two with my family, we have kind of rushed a little. My last trip, when I went with a friend, we took our time, and one thing I really loved was taking time to walk around World Showcase. I loved trying all the different foods and drinks, looking into the little shops, and enjoying some different shows. After that trip, I will not make the mistake of rushing through my Disney trip, and making sure to leave time to enjoy Epcot (already my favorite park, but now even more so!)
Old 12-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #25
NewmanFamily6
Mouseketeer

As many times as I have been to the world I still have never seen the Jammin Jungle parade There is always something that happens to intervene with the timing of that particular parade.....maybe next trip

Next trip: January 2015 @ All Star Sports
Old 12-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #26
tjmj9801
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW2012 View Post
We also made the big mistake of not getting to the parks at rope drop. I am chalking it up to the fact that my in laws were with us and that stressed me out greatly I have vowed that next time will be better and we HAVE to plan another trip to make up for it
THIS!! We booked a "make up" trip 4 months after going with MIL and BIL. I will NEVER let them ruin my magical place, or probably go on any other vacation, with my MIL or BIL again! They complain that we go to the parks too much, leaving them at their chosen off property resort, but refuse to "pay that much" for tickets. We're a theme park family and don't like being made for feel guilty for it. Solution? Don't plan to go with them again. Oh, and, don't stay at an off property resort and shop at DTD twice then go home and tell everybody you "went to Disney". No, honey, you vacationed in central Florida.

Rant Over. Back to our regularly scheduled thread.
1/30/2011-2/6/2011-Saratoga Springs (First on-site stay!!)
Several previous trips (It's worth mentioning that I've become an on-site snob...)
Old 12-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #27
QueenElinor
Yes, they really ARE all redheads!

We had a magical trip this past month. Really, we didn't make any major mistakes but did have crisis averted several times. Like losing the tickets- thank goodness I listened to folks on this site and had copied the backs of them. Advance planning for Disney is critical!

I would say the biggest mistake I made this time is worrying too much about saving money here and there. I did get a great room discount (30% is a lot of cash at the YC). That should have been enough.

But I went overboard pinching pennies. Bought a bunch of Disney gift cards through a Target promotion- it's true I saved 24% on those cards- but what a hassle. Same with getting the tickets through UT. They wouldn't have gotten lost in the first place if they'd been on the KTTW card. We just had all these cards and tickets and FP+ passes (which also got misplaced briefly) etc. etc. floating around, it was a giant headache for me, because I was in charge.

In the end, we probably spent close to $10,000 on this trip with airfare, etc. for 5 people. It's not like we were frugal while we were there- we did the CP package, did Dive Quest, had TS every day. The hassle factor was simply not proportional to the couple of hundred bucks I may have saved. Next time I'll be sure to get a good deal on the room, airfare and car rental and let the rest fall where they may.

Last edited by QueenElinor; 12-28-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #28
brookmey
I may live in the south, but I bleed maize and blue

We are currently on our way home from 10 days at Disney and they were wonderful.

The big mistake I made was letting my 6 year old talk me into taking him on Stitch's Great Escape. I had never done it before and planned to keep it that way after reading on the DIS how horrible it is. It was horrible, dumb and completely ridiculous. And of course, DS loved it and said it was one of his favorites. I should've pulled out the "we're not going on it because I said so" instead of letting him sweet talk me onto it. Never, ever again. Next time we go DS will be 7. He can go by himself.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #29
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Mistakes I will not repeat:

1. Vacationing with extended family or groups larger than 4 total people. Or with my younger sister...EVER.

2. Going in July.

3. Eating a gingerbread shingle from the GB house at the Grand Floridian. I would sooner eat an actual shingle before another one of those awful things.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #30
nansmama
DIS Veteran

Biggest mistakes we have learned from:

1. Bringing my dd's BFF with us.
2. Getting in line for Maelstrom when you can't see the front of the queue.
3. Showing up hungry at DHS (terrible food options at this park).
4. Nighttime in Animal Kingdom without a clue and without a map.
5. Getting stuck on the "wrong" side of MK during a parade.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: