Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
dizneygirl123
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 117

Alaska

We are wanting to go on an Alaskan cruise - please give me feedback on what cruise / ship you loved. We have only cruised Disney so I'm little worried about branching out to other cruise lines - thanks
dizneygirl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,142
DISboards Moderator

There have been a lot of discussions on this subject since DCL started sailing to Alaska. Do a search, and I'm sure you'll find tons.

The short answer is that DCL does not have the best itinerary. Mostly that's because they don't do Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier. They do Tracy Arm, which some folks will tell you is just fine and beautiful. I've never been to Tracy Arm, so I can't comment, but Glacier Bay is totally phenomenal. Also, in the past, the amount of time in port has not been that great, but that's varied. It was the worst when they sailed out of Seattle. There has also been issues with them not sailing in the Inside Passage for parts of the cruise, which takes them into rougher water.

My personal experience was with Princess. Princess was wonderful for a lot of reasons. First off, they do one-way cruises, which allow you to add on a land portion before or after the cruise. That's pretty difficult to do with a round trip from Vancouver or Seattle. They do Glacier Bay on a lot of their itineraries. They have a naturalist onboard for things like the Glacier Bay day, and that really adds a lot to what you're seeing. I found the service on Princess to be every bit as good as DCL. Just no Mouse. And I was able to afford a balcony room for a lot less than the window room I just sailed in on the Fantasy. A balcony is a really nice thing to have on an Alaska cruise, as you are almost always close to land and beautiful scenery.

You do have to be selective with Princess, as some of their itineraries don't do Glacier Bay, and some of them sail outside the Inside passage, also. Make sure you choose one that includes Glacier Bay and sails withing the Inside passage for as much of the time as possible. (ie, between Vancouver Island and the mainland, and with land on both sides of the ship in Alaska).

I'd do a cruise with Princess again in a second.

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

Last edited by sayhello; 12-27-2012 at 01:42 PM.
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,355

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneygirl123 View Post
We are wanting to go on an Alaskan cruise - please give me feedback on what cruise / ship you loved. We have only cruised Disney so I'm little worried about branching out to other cruise lines - thanks
I second sayhello's response. We've done 2 cruises to Alaska on Holland America. HAL & Princess have been doing Alaska the longest, so have the most experience with those itineraries.

Our first cruise had both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. Both are beautiful, but different. We were on the Zuiderdam for our first and the Zaandam for our second (which we did with the land tour - also wonderful). HAL, IMO, does tend to have a bit older crowd, but does get good reviews on their kids programs. Also, maybe, a bit more laid back (but I have no experience with Princess, so I really can't compare to that).

Going early in the season may keep you from actually cruising into Tracy Arm because of the ice. We went in September and were able to get all the way in.

HAL also has a naturalist onboard during Glacier Bay (or any glacier cruising).

It's real important to check the itineraries and choose the one that goes where you want to go.

__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
valbob89
DIS Veteran
 
valbob89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,214

Can't agree more with both postings. Princess owns Alaska. If you are going all the way to Alaska, don't miss doing the land portion. I always think of Alaska as just up north from us in San Francisco, but in fact it is over 2,000 miles, the flight from SFO to Anchorage is 5 hours, 11 hours from the east coast. After coming (and paying) all that way, don't miss seeing Alaska. You will see more animals in Denali park in one hour then you will see the entire cruise. The port towns on the cruise are lovely, but small and filled with tee-shirt shops. Although the cruise is beautiful, you won't see Alaska. Princess has their own train and lodges. Both the Denali and Mount McKinley lodges are beautiful.
Princess is great, not Disney, but great.

Last edited by valbob89; 12-28-2012 at 11:29 AM.
valbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran
 
luv2sleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,700

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello
There have been a lot of discussions on this subject since DCL started sailing to Alaska. Do a search, and I'm sure you'll find tons.

The short answer is that DCL does not have the best itinerary. Mostly that's because they don't do Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier. They do Tracy Arm, which some folks will tell you is just fine and beautiful. I've never been to Tracy Arm, so I can't comment, but Glacier Bay is totally phenomenal. Also, in the past, the amount of time in port has not been that great, but that's varied. It was the worst when they sailed out of Seattle. There has also been issues with them not sailing in the Inside Passage for parts of the cruise, which takes them into rougher water.

My personal experience was with Princess. Princess was wonderful for a lot of reasons. First off, they do one-way cruises, which allow you to add on a land portion before or after the cruise. That's pretty difficult to do with a round trip from Vancouver or Seattle. They do Glacier Bay on a lot of their itineraries. They have a naturalist onboard for things like the Glacier Bay day, and that really adds a lot to what you're seeing. I found the service on Princess to be every bit as good as DCL. Just no Mouse. And I was able to afford a balcony room for a lot less than the window room I just sailed on on the Fantasy. A balcony is a really nice thing to have on an Alaska cruise, as you are almost always close to land and beautiful scenery.

You do have to be selective with Princess, as some of their itineraries don't do Glacier Bay, and some of them sail outside the Inside passage, also. Make sure you choose one that includes Glacier Bay and sails withing the Inside passage for as much of the time as possible. (ie, between Vancouver Island and the mainland, and with land on both sides of the ship in Alaska).

I'd do a cruise with Princess again in a second.

Sayhello
Would you do it with young children?
__________________
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,267

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

. . . HAL also has a naturalist onboard during Glacier Bay (or any glacier cruising).
On our HAL cruises to Alaska, we had an excellent naturalist onboard the entire cruise. He was a young and enthusiastic university professor, so the summer Alaska cruises fit his academic schedule perfectly.

On sea days, he gave enrichment lectures on the wildlife we could expect see -- including how to identify the different types of whales based on their hump and spout pattern.

He was also an avid photographer, so he also gave lectures with tips for photographing the Alaska landscape and wildlife.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

We did Alaska on Celebrity....much the same as the above. They offer both one way and round trip cruises out of Seattle and Vancouver. There is a naturalist on board. While we had no experience with the kid program, I did talk to a couple of parents with young kids--they had only good to say. The naturalist on board was amazing. The food was better than DCL. The ship had some amazing features, but in other ways was not as impressive. There was an enclosed pool/hot tub area with a sign specifying the hours when kids could use the area (on non-Alaska cruises, it is an adult area). A whole lot was very much the same--Steiner runs the spa. It had the same specials, same "treatments," etc. as DCL, and the rainforest is called the Persian something.....Guest Services was AMAZING. The cost was 1/2 of DCL's pricing for the cruise.

Young kids are not going to be into the scenery. You may be more pleased with the special kid excursions arranged by DCL and the kid programming.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,142
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Would you do it with young children?
Sorry, I have no kids, so I can't comment on that. Hopefully someone with young children will jump in here.

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!
 
jiminyC_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 15,408

We cruised Alaska through HAL. We did the one way from Fairbanks to Vancouver which included the land portion and cruise. Alaska has so much to offer. The land portion to us was just as important as the cruise portion. Denali is just as spectacular as Glacier Bay. The naturalist was wonderful. The pool area on HAL was much more suited to Alaska than the Wonder. We found the food to be pretty much on par as DCL. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to cruise HAL again.
__________________
jiminyC_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,267

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminyC_fan View Post

. . . The pool area on HAL was much more suited to Alaska than the Wonder.

. . . Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to cruise HAL again.
The HAL pool areas are heated and well designed with retractable glass roofs. Perfect for lounging around or swimming while it's freezing outside.

Also, on one HAL cruise, they scheduled a nighttime chocolate buffet near the pool area. After the chefs set up the chocolate displays and chocolate fountains, it started to drizzle. No problem! All they had to do was close the retractable glass roof.

I, too, wouldn't hesitate to cruise HAL again.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,245

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Would you do it with young children?
We did DCL to Alaska this past summer (July 2012). Our DD had just turned 3. It was awesome and although we knew we weren't taking the best itinerary, we loved every minute of it. The sights were fantastic, the scenery fantastic, and of course the crew/food/ship (our favorite is by far the Wonder) was fantastic.

We didn't mind the short port times, especially with a young child. Scenery is boring for a young child. Disney entertained her, excursions entertained us. It was a good compromise.

It's too bad they're going out of Vancouver again. My parents sailed out of Vancouver w/the Wonder in 2011 and didn't care for Vancouver and had to spend extra $$ to get to Victoria themselves.

Last edited by lilpooh108; 12-27-2012 at 09:15 PM.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas
 
Four Swampers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 746

We did a cruisetour (land and sea) with Princess to Alaska in 1999. We had our 15 month old daughter on the ship with us, but not on the land portion.

We did DCL Alaska cruise out of Seattle this summer, 2012.

Seeing Fairbanks and taking the train to Denali and Anchorage was excellent. Glacier Bay is slightly superior to Tracy Arm. Princess definitely provided a chance to see more of Alaska.

On board, DCL beat Princess like a drum. Now, bear in mind that I am comparing 1999 Princess to 2012 Disney. Maybe Princess is now super awesome. All I know is that after the Princess cruise, I planned to never cruise again. A quick DCL cruise to the Bahamas in 2009 to please my daughters changed that.

If possible, do a land/sea cruisetour with Princess or HAL. If you will be doing just the cruise, I would choose DCL, as their superior family entertainment and superior service trumps seeing glaciers in Glacier Bay (Princess) vs seeing glaciers in Tracy Arm (DCL). At the end of the day, they are both glaciers, even though Glacier Bay is more majestic.

More important than which line you choose is what excursions you do. Alaska is expensive, but if you just look at it from the ship you will not get a true experience. In Skagway, ride the train that follows the route the gold prospectos followed. In Ketchikan, find bear or salmon or king crab. In Juneau, get up on Mendenhall Glacier. If you really want to experience Alaska, have a plan for each port and get out there!
__________________
Wonder 11/19/09 Bahamas // Magic 08/07/10Mediterranean // Wonder 03/27/11 Mexican Riviera
Dream 11/17/11 Bahamas // Fantasy 03/31/12 Maiden Voyage // Wonder 06/11/12 Alaska
Wonder 09/10/12 Vancouver to LA // Magic 06/15/13 Mediterranean // Magic 11/06/13 Key West & CC
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #13
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran
 
luv2sleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers View Post
We did a cruisetour (land and sea) with Princess to Alaska in 1999. We had our 15 month old daughter on the ship with us, but not on the land portion.

We did DCL Alaska cruise out of Seattle this summer, 2012.

Seeing Fairbanks and taking the train to Denali and Anchorage was excellent. Glacier Bay is slightly superior to Tracy Arm. Princess definitely provided a chance to see more of Alaska.

On board, DCL beat Princess like a drum. Now, bear in mind that I am comparing 1999 Princess to 2012 Disney. Maybe Princess is now super awesome. All I know is that after the Princess cruise, I planned to never cruise again. A quick DCL cruise to the Bahamas in 2009 to please my daughters changed that.

If possible, do a land/sea cruisetour with Princess or HAL. If you will be doing just the cruise, I would choose DCL, as their superior family entertainment and superior service trumps seeing glaciers in Glacier Bay (Princess) vs seeing glaciers in Tracy Arm (DCL). At the end of the day, they are both glaciers, even though Glacier Bay is more majestic.

More important than which line you choose is what excursions you do. Alaska is expensive, but if you just look at it from the ship you will not get a true experience. In Skagway, ride the train that follows the route the gold prospectos followed. In Ketchikan, find bear or salmon or king crab. In Juneau, get up on Mendenhall Glacier. If you really want to experience Alaska, have a plan for each port and get out there!
Wow, this is really helpful!

I would definitely not do a land and tour trip with a young child. So since he has to come along it would just be a cruise at this time in our lives. When he is older or if I take a trip sans my kid, I would definitely do a land tour. I think DCL would be good for young families from what you mention.
__________________
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:59 AM   #14
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Carmichael, California
Posts: 17,522

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbob89 View Post
Can't agree more with both postings. Princess owns Alaska.
Princess is great, not Disney, but great.
Never been on Princess, but in travel circles HAL is the line known for Alaska, been going years longer than other cruise lines. They tend to have the best permits to go to glaciers and best docking locations.
We found HAL comparable or a hair better than Disney on service.
__________________
tvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #15
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!
 
Luv2Diz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Great Northwest
Posts: 1,166

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Never been on Princess, but in travel circles HAL is the line known for Alaska, been going years longer than other cruise lines. They tend to have the best permits to go to glaciers and best docking locations.
We found HAL comparable or a hair better than Disney on service.
This helpful......I'd like to cruise to Alaska again. But with DCL prices and them now leaving out of Vancouver instead of Seattle, I am looking for other options. I'm on the fence between Princess and HAL.
__________________
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.