Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #1111
dittymau
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapataii
Here's a snooty question: is the room service coffee still bad? Should I pack the small creamers? Do they have Splenda, or just regular sugar? First timer here
Well, I loved the room service coffee in the morning!
dittymau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #1112
Zapataii
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the coffee info everyone. I only referred to it as bad because someone earlier in the thread did.

I will be bringing the creamers for sure! Thanks everyone!
Zapataii is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #1113
disneydreaming92701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapataii
Thanks for the coffee info everyone. I only referred to it as bad because someone earlier in the thread did.

I will be bringing the creamers for sure! Thanks everyone!
Any coffee that is brought to me in my room is good to me....enjoy your cruise
disneydreaming92701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #1114
mdurette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetmonarch View Post
Take the coffee creamers since ya just never know! There's bad coffee that is like tolerable, then there's BAD coffee that need CPR! Just saying.
Bring a travel mug also. We don't normally do room service because I never know what time DD is going to get up. But, once I get up I head straight for the buffet on the deck and get a cup of coffee. There is nothing worse than only getting only a tiny cup that is either spilled or drank by the time I get back to the room.

Now...I always take a mug!
mdurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #1115
rescuetink
DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! Who are all you Diser's?? Where did you come from?? And who made you ALL so helpful?? It's a disease I think!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdurette View Post
Bring a travel mug also. We don't normally do room service because I never know what time DD is going to get up. But, once I get up I head straight for the buffet on the deck and get a cup of coffee. There is nothing worse than only getting only a tiny cup that is either spilled or drank by the time I get back to the room.

Now...I always take a mug!
This is always a great idea!! We bring the Thermos insulated cups with the flip lids for the kids!! Their great for pool side, on excursions and to take to the shows!! And I make sure I have a big insulates cup with me since I hydrate a lot!!

May 2001 Land & Sea on the Wonder (Pre Kids) : May 2006 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2009 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2010 7 Days In WDW at AKV Kidani :
November 2011 7 Day Disney Magic Double Dip : October 19-25, 2014 WDW at BLT (Our other home!)
rescuetink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #1116
eemaxx
Mouseketeer

One tip for anyone traveling on the Magic: if you have thick/ long hair and rely on a hair dryer, bring your own! We sailed on the Magic over Christmas in 2011 and the hair dryer was this old vacuum hose looking thing attached to the wall of the bathroom. The issue was that after a few minutes of drying my hair, the hair dryer became way too hot to even hold. I had to dry my hair in 2-3 minute shifts and use a towel to hold it after the first 2 minute shift. Also, with the hair dryer being in the bathroom, I was hogging up the one bathroom while the rest of my family of 4 was trying to get ready for dinner also. Looking forward to sailing on the Fantasy on Jan 19th!
eemaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #1117
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemaxx View Post
One tip for anyone traveling on the Magic: if you have thick/ long hair and rely on a hair dryer, bring your own! We sailed on the Magic over Christmas in 2011 and the hair dryer was this old vacuum hose looking thing attached to the wall of the bathroom. The issue was that after a few minutes of drying my hair, the hair dryer became way too hot to even hold. I had to dry my hair in 2-3 minute shifts and use a towel to hold it after the first 2 minute shift. Also, with the hair dryer being in the bathroom, I was hogging up the one bathroom while the rest of my family of 4 was trying to get ready for dinner also. Looking forward to sailing on the Fantasy on Jan 19th!
I always bring my own hair dryer, just in case. The Wonder had really small, pretty much useless, hairdryers. But happy to say that the Fantasy has full sized hair dryers, that you can plug in where it is convenient. However, I enjoyed going to the Senses Spa, to use the shower, great products and the provided hair dryers. You don't need to buy anything to use this area. Free razors are also provided and there is a small sauna and lockers to use.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #1118
ChloroFiend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tita155 View Post
I am traveling in February , this is our first cruise and we don't have passports. Should we consider getting them or are they totally not necessary?
When disembarking in Galveston, there was an "express lane" for US Citizens travelling with passports. Not sure if the same is present in Port Canaveral or other destinations. Just one more bonus aside from the security of having a full travel document.
ChloroFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #1119
violetmonarch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloroFiend View Post
When disembarking in Galveston, there was an "express lane" for US Citizens travelling with passports. Not sure if the same is present in Port Canaveral or other destinations. Just one more bonus aside from the security of having a full travel document.

I am sailing out of Galveston in 4 weeks, so I am glad to hear that there is an express lane for those that have passports. I really hate waiting around.

Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2013
violetmonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #1120
ekatiel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloroFiend View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetmonarch View Post
I am sailing out of Galveston in 4 weeks, so I am glad to hear that there is an express lane for those that have passports. I really hate waiting around.
The last time we sailed out of Galveston (last Spring Break), the "express" lane was actually for people with birth certificates. Honestly, there is not an "express" lane; there two different lines, one for people with passports and one for people with birth certificates and I.D.s. The "express" part depends on how many people on your cruise are travelling with passports vs. birth certificates. In our case last Spring Break, the passport line was SIGNIFICANTLY longer than the birth certificate line. That disembarkation was a nightmare anyways-- they only had one or two port agents working to disembark a FULL Spring Break cruise on Mariner of the Seas (there were around 1,000 kids on board). It took us just under 3 hours to disembark . --Katie
Old 12-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #1121
bbwex
Earning My Ears

Don't bring your own dryer!!

Many people are tempted to bring their own dryers, but most cruise lines don't allow it. I am not sure what Disney's policy is. The problem is that your big, powerful dryer draws a lot of current. While you might think that you little dryer is not going to hurt anyone, and that your hair is very important, you might want to remember that the biggest danger on a cruise ship is fire. Hair dryers, immersion heaters and other heavy current users pose a danger to you, and more importantly to others (including children) on the ship. Shipboard fires can be very serious.

Generally, if the dryer in your room is not satisfactory, the line will give you a slightly more powerful one, but it will be one that they know is safe.

Previous cruises:
U.S.S. HANCOCK (CVA-19) 1969-71, two WestPac cruises -- oops those weren't pleasure cruises
Carnival Fantasy '90 or '91 - 3 day cruise
Oceania REGATTA - Scandinavian Splendor August, 2009
Disney WONDER - 3-Day Bahamas - December, 2009
HAL STATENDAM -- Alaska -- June, 2010
Ocean Adventures M.V. ECLIPSE - Galapagos Islands -- June, 2012
Oceania RIVIERA -- Italy -- October, 2012
Disney DREAM - 4 Day Bahamas - January, 2013
bbwex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #1122
Hollywood Glitter
DIS Veteran

Disney does let you bring your own dryer. Just remember to unplug that and other hair items when your done. The previous poster is right. Fire safety is very important onboard.
Hollywood Glitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #1123
vcjtx
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetmonarch

I don't think there really is an "express line", but there are 2 separate lines - one for passports & one for Birth Certificates & other forms of ID, as Ekatiel said.

You're on the January 26th cruise, right? My friend & I (we'll be on the 1/26 one, too) went on a Carnival cruise from Galveston last year at about the same time & going through the customs checkout was the quickest part of debarkation. Getting off the ship took the longest time! We were in a seemingly endless line of passengers. We were called by decks (or luggage tag) and still had a looooooong wait in line. My advice would be: unless you have a flight to catch, take your time!!!! We don't have to be anywhere and plan to be two of the last people off the ship. I'm pretty sure they won't let us stay, so someone will shoo us off eventually!!

vcjtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #1124
violetmonarch
Mouseketeer

Look forward to seeing you all on the 1/26/13 Magic, vcjtx! Yeah I am in no big hurry, but my mother is a very impatient person, and I have to deal with her complaints....she's hard to ever please. Magic CMs gonna have their work cut out trying to please her!

Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2013
violetmonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #1125
principessalia
Earning My Ears

Great Tip!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzNutt View Post
Bring a pillowcase from home and give that and some markers to guest services when you board. They will have the chAracters sign it and return it to your room before the end of the cruise.
Great and not so expensive treat!!
Thanks for this great tip...we are newbies & want to get as much out of our trip as we can
principessalia is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: