Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #76
syrumani
Earning My Ears

When I worked on a cruise ship, I (and many others) would have LOVED a crew pool! Yes, the work is hard, but also the pay and vacation time earned is worth it! If it wasn't for the kids, guess where I'd be?

I will say, though, that for some of the crew . . . depending on what ports they are in, and for how long - well, let's just go with a day stop, ok? Crew such as room stewards, etc. are working when the ship docks, and by the time the ship leaves, there is no time for them to go to shore. On the cruise line I worked on, you could take turns manipulating the schedule, so that each person in your dept. could get an extra day off to see the sights (or sleep!). At the ports with an overnight stay, most crew will get off ship and go their merry way on their off time.

I would think that a small token, whether it being a quick invite to see something outside, or even a baggie of mini-chocolates, would just make the day for some crew.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #77
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting that! We plan to tip quite a bit more but I think I'll bring some goodies too.
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #78
KTJ
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICMDGO View Post
On our last cruise (not DCL) we brought little gifts from home for our stateroom attendent and left them for him every other night. After the fisrt night while he was thanking us he actually cried. It was the first time in 6 tours that anyone had ever given him something like that. It was such a small gift but the rewards to us were great !

This is a cruise line that does not allow tipping so this was our way to say thanks !
That's a fun idea - what sort of gifts did you give him?

KTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #79
clairedy6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaikalani View Post
The CM's on the Magic must see the light of day....the forward pool is a CM only pool
Don't forget that many crew members don't have time to go out to the pool, it is mostly the more..."privileged" workers, such as those in the kids club, entertainment areas, etc. that have more free time. So no, just because there's a crew pool doesn't mean all the crew members use it.
clairedy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #80
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairedy6 View Post
Don't forget that many crew members don't have time to go out to the pool, it is mostly the more..."privileged" workers, such as those in the kids club, entertainment areas, etc. that have more free time. So no, just because there's a crew pool doesn't mean all the crew members use it.
On our last night in Victoria (on the Wonder in July 2012), the crew were having a party at the CM pool...it was fun to watch them having a good time as we were reboarding the ship.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #81
Cruiser76
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairedy6 View Post
clairedy6,

Don't forget that all CM's on the ship can work up to the max 92 hours per week and those include the chefs, sous chefs, pot washers, yellow suit guys, servers entertainment crew, kids club ent's team.

Those that chose to use to use the pool do so, those that choose to sleep, work out in the gym do so, those that choose to go ashore do so.

Whether they choose to use it is up to them, the 72 hours off per week (if working the DCL SET maximum of 92 hrs) is up to them!
Cruiser76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #82
Cruiser76
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
On our last night in Victoria (on the Wonder in July 2012), the crew were having a party at the CM pool...it was fun to watch them having a good time as we were reboarding the ship.
Yep! And I too appreciate the fact you appreciate and enjoyed seeing them let off steam and have fun even being overlooked by the very same people that pay their wages!
Everyone needs to let off a little steam once in a while and the crew deck outside in the fresh air, open to every CM not working is the best place for them to do so!
Cruiser76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: