Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montegut View Post
I was wondering if some of the convention type hotels, like Coronado, Contemporary, and maybe even Grand Floridian or Polynesian, keep spare rooms available in case convention goers do want to stay on site and bring family at the last minute. I was wondering if that is how my friend was able to get a Contemporary room, in the main tower, not the garden wing, when they were dissatisfied with their Caribbean room.
Conventions usually keep rooms available for a specific number of days (by the convention, not the hotel). Once that date passes, they are no longer available. And it is usually several days/weeks before the start of the convention. I was asked to attend a convention at CSR a few years ago and by the time I was asked to go, there were no more rooms available for convention goers and I had to get my own room about a month out.

Quote:
I'm not too versed on the Vacation Club, but I wonder if there are members who just cannot use their rooms because of other reasons and would welcome a needy traveler taking their rooms off their hands. At a price, of course. I would imagine that money could be wire transferred if prepayment was an issue. Just wondering if anyone had experience with this.

Also, my question is not for this time of year, but any time, in particular. For instance, our friend was facing the kids returning to school and they had not taken a trip yet that summer because of other obligations, so, spur of the moment, decided to take the kids to Disney. Only Port Orleans was available, but given it was what I would call peak time, ie, kids still out of school, I was surprised they were able to get on property at all.
DVC members do not have rooms available. They have points. They use the points to reserve rooms. DVC is not the standard timeshare where a person has a specific unit for a week. Like I already stated, they are not going to "rent points" to a non-member less than 31 days out because their points will be put into jeopardy at that point. And those that have tried to "rent an existing" reservation would have cancelled it or sold it long before the day it was supposed to start because if they don't show up on the day it starts, they lose the points used to make the reservation.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #17
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I was wondering if some of the convention type hotels, like Coronado, Contemporary, and maybe even Grand Floridian or Polynesian, keep spare rooms available in case convention goers do want to stay on site and bring family at the last minute. I was wondering if that is how my friend was able to get a Contemporary room, in the main tower, not the garden wing, when they were dissatisfied with their Caribbean room.
Disney resorts don't hold back rooms. If someone calls and wants to book, and the room is available, they'll get it.

Really, though, it's not at all surprising that a tower room was available for your friend. Rooms are available on short notice at most resorts, most times of year.

I remember, way back when CR and Poly were the only two resorts on property, you might have to book pretty far in advance for popular time periods. But that was long, long ago. There are now something like 30,000 rooms on property.

Quote:
I'm not too versed on the Vacation Club, but I wonder if there are members who just cannot use their rooms because of other reasons and would welcome a needy traveler taking their rooms off their hands. At a price, of course. I would imagine that money could be wire transferred if prepayment was an issue. Just wondering if anyone had experience with this.
As PPs have said, DVC members don't own specific rooms. When you purchase DVC, you're getting a certain number of points, and you use them as 'currency' to pay for whatever resort and room type you choose to book. You still have to call and make a reservation, and on short notice, it can be very, very difficult to find availability at a DVC resort on a points reservation. Timeshares just aren't designed for short notice reservations.

The rental process, then, goes like this. You find a member who's got the points you need for your reservation. You communicate with that member and arrive at a price and payment terms. The member calls and sees if the resort/room type you want is available, if it is, they book the reservation, and then payment is made. This is generally done several months in advance of the arrival date.
Lynne M is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
Montegut
Mouseketeer

General public discount?

What is the general public discount that's mentioned above?

We did a Triple A package for our big trip, and it was not much savings on our CR MK view room.

We probably won't do a package next time, too expensive, but want to find out about any discounts that are available.

Is the general public discount a discount that's offered for people booking available rooms at the last minute?
Montegut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #19
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:

We did a Triple A package for our big trip, and it was not much savings on our CR MK view room.

We probably won't do a package next time, too expensive, but want to find out about any discounts that are available.

Is the general public discount a discount that's offered for people booking available rooms at the last minute?
No.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #20
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

There's not one general public discount that's always available; Disney offers various kinds of discounts and promotions from time to time, depending on their business needs. Some are for the general public, some are for groups like AAA members, AP holders, etc.

Keep an eye on our Discount Codes and Rates board (a sub-forum of this one), and on Mousesavers for news on any upcoming discounts and promotions.

Quote:
No, Disney generally doesn't do last-minute discounts. Their discounts are typically offered some months in advance of the trip dates, and are only available for a limited period of time. For example, they might have an offer that gives you a certain percentage off room only rates for stays from 3/1/13 through 4/30/13, and it has to be booked by 1/30/13.

I totally made that one up, but that's they way they often work.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #21
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montegut

Current discounts, book by date is 12/31:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/special-offers/
offsite'71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,C R'03,WL'04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05 ,YC'06,PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14),Swan (11/14)

rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #22
Montegut
Mouseketeer

What does the term "general public discount" mean?

Just trying to get a definition of the term "general public discount" that is used in many of the responses.

Does that simply mean discounts that are available to anyone, not just AP or FL residents or whatever other special groups get their own discounts?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #23
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Just trying to get a definition of the term "general public discount" that is used in many of the responses.

Does that simply mean discounts that are available to anyone, not just AP or FL residents or whatever other special groups get their own discounts?
Yes. "General Public" means "anyone".
Old 12-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #24
rcraw45425

Quote:

yes, open to everyone. You can generally always count on a AAA discount, around 10% for room only, if you're a member. THey just ask for your card at check in. THe general public codes are usually released a short while after the passholder and Disney Visa ones. Unfurtunately, some of the GP codes seem to have dwindled off. I know when I booked our October trip for hubby and I the only discount other than AAA I could come up with for our days was a PIN code I had for free dining. Staying at the Contemporary, not much of a deal as my rack rate tower room was around $400 a night for the two of us. It would have been more of a savings if we had had our teenagers with us. I dislike FD because we never book very far in advance and most peole now book their dining at the 180 day mark, leaving no availability for the ones that book last minute.
offsite'71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,C R'03,WL'04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05 ,YC'06,PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14),Swan (11/14)

Old 12-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #25
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

They'd most likely find rooms available. If they are AP holders, they may even be able to get an AP discount on their room.

If I were them, I'd call and book before leaving the house though. That way if there isn't anything available at the level they want they'll know in advance.

I booked a 2 day trip on a tuesday, drove up on Wednesday. Stayed Wednesday night, thursday night and drove home on Friday this year for the opening of New Fantasyland.

I was originally planning on staying through the weekend but plans changed and I couldn't. I also got the AP discount on my room.

I don't know anything about DVC. My husband says no way to that every time I bring it up. LOL

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 10 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (3), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #26
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

Sure I think it is totally possible - especially if budget is not a limitation. I would do as others have suggested and call before hitting the road. And you might even be able to get a discount or a special offer depending on what is available. I have booked less than a week before at POP. I don't think ALL Disney resorts would be completely sold out for any given time, however you might pay more depending on the situation than if you had booked a room ahead.

One thing about Orlando - there are lots of hotels - so you'd have a place to stay.
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR * August 2014 HKDL Disneyland Hotel * December 2014 HKDL Hollywood Hotel * February 2015 DLRP Newport Bay Club *
New Trip Reports August and December Hong Kong Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3356993http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118

Last edited by ExpatDisneyLover; 12-27-2012 at 03:38 PM.
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #27
MinnieSummer
DIS Veteran

Don't forget that you can stay at a DVC without renting points. I am not a DVC member but have stayed at many of the DVC resorts by making my reservation through disney. The price is a little higher but I needed a one bedroom when we were traveling with my mom. I've made a couple of those reservations the day before we were leaving, once even the morning as we were loading the car.
Christmas at BLT-MKV 2010
Christmas at CSR 2009,
Christmas at WL Villas 2008
Christmas at SSR 2007
Christmas at GF 2006
Christmas at BWI 2005
Christmas at WL 2004
Christmas at CSR 2003
Christmas at AKL 2002
Christmas at CBR 2001
MinnieSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #28
michsig
DIS Veteran

Mousesavers has helped me a great deal! For our last trip in July, I was able to get 25% off our room-only reservation. For my upcoming trip in January, I got a 30% discount on the room-only! Saved me $300-$500 each trip!
June 2010 - CSR
July 1999 - Villas at Disney Institute
May 1991 - Offsite
michsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #29
Montegut
Mouseketeer

DVC resort without going through club member?

See, this is what I was confused about. Can you only stay at Bay Lake Tower, Beach Club Villas, or any other DVC resorts only if you are either a member or are renting points? If so, that gives a lot more options, especially for people with kids, who may want a larger space and a kitchen.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #30
rcraw45425

Quote:
See, this is what I was confused about. Can you only stay at Bay Lake Tower, Beach Club Villas, or any other DVC resorts only if you are either a member or are renting points? If so, that gives a lot more options, especially for people with kids, who may want a larger space and a kitchen.
no, those can also be rented directly through WD Travel Co. on the website

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: