Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #16
kfamilylovesdisney
Wonder 05/2008 Wonder 05/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
What you had was a Port Arrival Time. That PAT is tied to your boarding number that you receive when you check in at the port. You arrived earlier than your selected PAT, so you had to wait until the boarding number tied to your correct time was being boarded.

Next time, I would suggest that you plan on arriving at the time you select and not earlier.

Yea I definitely did not research that well. So, I am hoping to get that straight this time

So I should arrive at the time they give me? And not expect to board at that time? How do you get an earlier arrival time if the one they give you is later than you would like? Is it based on first come first served on the online check-in?

Thanks for your help!

July 6, 2013 - Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean * June 26, 2011 - Disney Dream 5 Day * May 2009 - Disney Wonder 4 Day * May 2008 - Disney Wonder 3 Day

6/2012 BCV * 6/2011 AKV-Kidani * 8/2010 BLT * 5/2009 WLV * 5/2008 BWV * 5/2007 BCV * 1/2006 OKW
kfamilylovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #17
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfamilylovesdisney View Post
Yea I definitely did not research that well. So, I am hoping to get that straight this time

So I should arrive at the time they give me? And not expect to board at that time? How do you get an earlier arrival time if the one they give you is later than you would like? Is it based on first come first served on the online check-in?

Thanks for your help!
During the online checkin process you select your PAT. The windows are in 1/2 hour increments: 11:00-11:30; 11:30-12:00, etc. I've never had my PAT assigned.

When you get to the page to select your PAT time, any windows that are filled will be greyed out.

As a CC member you have an earlier online checkin date than a first time cruiser, so that means you can select your PAT before they do.

You can keep checking after you've completed the online checkin, if you were not able to select the PAT you really wanted. Sometimes people change their selections.

All that said, generally, once the boarding number being announced for boarding has caught up with the number being issued at checkin at the port, Open Boarding is announced (somewhere in the 12:30-1:00 area). At that time everyone can board, regardless of boarding number.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #18
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfamilylovesdisney View Post
On our first cruise (a 3 day on the Wonder), we arrived at the port at 12:30 and walked right on the Wonder. It was amazing. No wait at all.

On our third cruise (a 5 day on the Dream), we arrived in port at 11:30 with a 12:30 boarding time (we were like - what is this time thing?) and we did not get on the ship until at least 1 PM. So many people got there ahead of us. I was very disappointed at the chaos at the terminal. Obviously we weer spoiled before, but this was total chaos. No one was boarding at their allotted time. It was a madhouse. I had a spa treatment scheduled at 2PM so this was incredibly stressful for me.

I am hoping that they stick to the scheduled boarding times. Our next cruise is scheduled for July 2013. So, we shall see
First, as above, your time is a scheduled terminal arrival time, not a boarding time. Times are given out well before boarding even begins! (like 11:00)

Secondly, no one has a single time, they have a window. So you had a 12:30-1:00 window and arrived at 11:30. And you were on the ship about 1. That sounds pretty much right on time to me! The fact that you arrived an hour before your scheduled time was your choice and did not influence the boarding number you were given. The "chaos" at the terminal was largely due to people arriving before their scheduled time.

When you arrive, you will need to get in line to check in. This, obviously, takes a little time. 30 minutes is a reasonable expectation. 12:30 is a really GOOD time to arrive--the "early birds" are on the ship and the bus transportation from WDW has not arrived yet. This is a great time to avoid crowds and board with minimal lines.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: