DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #76
bighoo93
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
One of the problems with timeshares is that the market is so specialized that market forces do not work well. It is unrealistic to think that a new company will spring up with the idea of selling at a lower price.
I completely disagree with this argument, but am open to changing my mind with some sort of reasoning or evidence. All it takes is one person seeing an opportunity to exploit an inefficient market and taking initiative. It happens all the time, every day, in markets large and small, broad and narrow. I am not aware of any significant barriers to entry in the timeshare reseller market.
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #77
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,748

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighoo93 View Post
I completely disagree with this argument, but am open to changing my mind with some sort of reasoning or evidence. All it takes is one person seeing an opportunity to exploit an inefficient market and taking initiative. It happens all the time, every day, in markets large and small, broad and narrow. I am not aware of any significant barriers to entry in the timeshare reseller market.
Barrier's might include that there are possible impending changes in resale, the economy, the fact that DVC resale price took a big hit about 2 years ago and that many timeshares are selling (and many not selling) at $1. Of course you could prove the idea wrong by doing it, here's your opportunity. I think we've lost everyone else so I'm done with this thread and I'd recommend that it be closed. You can email me directly if you want to discuss further.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #78
bighoo93
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Of course you could prove the idea wrong by doing it, here's your opportunity.


No, that's the perfect way to close this out.

bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #79
DougEMG
DIS Veteran
 
DougEMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,732

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
How many buyers even think about their value if they sell, selling is the last thing on their mind.
I know that this is what people do, but really, no one should be buying something thinking they wil using it for 50 years. Who buys a house thinking they will never sell it!
__________________
DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #80
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator
 
Chuck S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Seguin, Texas USA
Posts: 25,913
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
I know that this is what people do, but really, no one should be buying something thinking they wil using it for 50 years. Who buys a house thinking they will never sell it!
My family.

My grandparents raised their kids and lived in the same house 60 years. I've lived in my house 32 years and have no intention of selling. My cousin's house has been in her family for 3 generations. And while no one in the family still owns it, my Great Grandparents farm and the house they built is still in use today. My great-Grand parents lived there from 1895 until their deaths. My Great-Grandmother lived until 1955, so that was 60 years.
__________________

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #81
Starr W.
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,872

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
My family.

My grandparents raised their kids and lived in the same house 60 years. I've lived in my house 32 years and have no intention of selling. My cousin's house has been in her family for 3 generations. And while no one in the family still owns it, my Great Grandparents farm and the house they built is still in use today. My great-Grand parents lived there from 1895 until their deaths. My Great-Grandmother lived until 1955, so that was 60 years.
My grandmother inherited her maternal grandparents' house that the family lived in for about 100 yrs before she sold it.
__________________
Starr W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #82
Lil' Grumpy
Lil' Grumpy is really a Big Sweetie
 
Lil' Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: chillicothe,oh
Posts: 2,778

wow,this makes the song/dance into a reality..."the games people
play"...now i think i know where they got their idea for the song
"rubber-band man". oh, i like dancing...., when there's
a beat.

what really scares me, that this person is trying for a job as
a dvc manger--are you? , & if so, then i feel
like george b./jimmy s.- buy-bye jimmy ( oh-cardiac reference to
a famous cricket ), is just the type of a guardian angel we/us
dvc owners would get~....or "worst"... my best guess

...you already are, ~oh my disney dollars

if i was a granted a dvc question, do dvc provide training to their
dvc workers, or better yet- what are the requirements in
their job descriptions? my inquiring mind would like to know
this best kept secret.

oh, the waste time, depends on reader.....just be-causes , one
has a different way/s of thinking does not mean there's nothing
to "gain" even if one disapprove/disagree. however, points are
only useful if you're an owner?

i think the point i got out of this expanded topic, dvc could improve
selling if they added a "handbook" on the secrets ways to utilize
their brand new "home". see? they could add extras- like lil'
differences -granted to those chosing direct over resales. i am
saying as clear as i can , this is the disney vacation club,
& with it parks references--they can't come up with perks that
are only limited by lil'-imagination?-that buyers with the money
-will gladly-chose over resales? endless, if the right dvc captain,
take the "time" to look & think.

it is a similar approach seen over @ d.land, club 33. i am amaze
how far they get with just the suggestion of belonging/doing
something special. if i am not mistaken , it was built after walt-
and only has the suggestion.....but the ways it makes them
feel liked "part of the family", is a great selling point. attention
seeking in a positive manner.

when one get @ it/to it...isn't disney the company...measure
by making $ ? so how to keep it going has sum interests ?

see add those special lil' perks/benefits to the handbook. i would
use the bimbarn guide format.

what i see here, is like the state f. commercial about the guy
using internet & his neighbor meeting/dating the french model,
"bonjour!" it kills me -. ~ esp. when she walking away
thinking she proven her belief--but what "is" her "real" reality?
think she heading for future disappointments?

isn't the value of dvc about the ways one can use it for their
vacations & not expecting $ profits? to bail out after 10 years
will not produce the same values for those staying 12, 15,
17, 20 + years?

you can think anything you like, but when i read about those
renting to have christmas presents---they had no business
buying in the first place. really--an owner needing/depending
on renting for income is not good for their well being?

can't speak for others but we didn't build home to sell...
but to raise our family. going to disney is not one of my needs,
but having a place to live is.
__________________
& = + +
Lil' Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:06 AM   #83
WilsonFlyer


DIS Veteran
 
WilsonFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 3,429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
My family.

My grandparents raised their kids and lived in the same house 60 years. I've lived in my house 32 years and have no intention of selling. My cousin's house has been in her family for 3 generations. And while no one in the family still owns it, my Great Grandparents farm and the house they built is still in use today. My great-Grand parents lived there from 1895 until their deaths. My Great-Grandmother lived until 1955, so that was 60 years.
Pretty much ditto.
WilsonFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #84
gray52
Mouseketeer
 
gray52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 391

Quote:
Originally Posted by htmlkid

You should be worried about the resale price. Say you purchase 200 points at $150 a point for $35000 and 5 years later your either not using them anymore or for some financial reason you want to sell and due to increased restrictions DVC turns out to be like every oter timeshare where you can purchase it on eBay for a $1 your now out all your initial investment and depending on how often you used it you probably paid twice what you could have just renting rooms for cash,

Now you purchase the same amount of shares for $150 and 5 years later with no additional restrictions you can sell for $75 a point. You have recouped 1/2 your initial investment and still enjoyed the resorts and a reasonable overall cost.

Resale restrictions hurt everyone ... And If you think being able to book a cruise on points is a good use of points you should seriously look into your overall cost of that cruise using points. It sometime costs you double what it would paying cash or just renting the points and then using the cash to pay for the cruise.

Don't get me wrong I love dvc but I am amazed how people book overpriced member cruises using point when it's costs them double to triple the usual rate just to get a $10 gift in their room. And Disney calls that a benefit of purchasing direct...
Resale restrictions hurt everyone except DVD... It will hurt buyers and sellers (there will be less resale buyers, more sellers)... Driving more people on or near the fence to buying/adding direct. The vast majority of direct sales are vacationers with no knowledge of resale (I read about +-75%?)... So by adding restrictions, they are, in my opinion, only looking to take the +-25% that buy resale and make that number maybe 24% or 23% or any percentage less than 25%. I think they look at it as purely an accounting decision... If adding a restriction will increase direct sales by 1% and lower resale by 1%, that's what they'll do.
gray52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #85
bighoo93
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray52 View Post
If adding a restriction will increase direct sales by 1% and lower resale by 1%, that's what they'll do.
I'm not sure about that. That's a pretty small amount, and it isn't like they are flooded with excess point inventory. I don't see any reason to believe they aren't executing precisely according to plan, with a new resort opening up soon and most DVC points sold out. All the while, charging double the open market price for virtually the same thing. From the outside, it looks like DVD is extremely healthy and it isn't clear why they would mess with that.

Adding restrictions would likely drop the resale price of points (depending on the nature of the restriction). How that would impact the DVC point market overall, including direct sales, is an open question that requires more assumptions and analysis.
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #86
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,748

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighoo93 View Post
I'm not sure about that. That's a pretty small amount, and it isn't like they are flooded with excess point inventory. I don't see any reason to believe they aren't executing precisely according to plan, with a new resort opening up soon and most DVC points sold out. All the while, charging double the open market price for virtually the same thing. From the outside, it looks like DVD is extremely healthy and it isn't clear why they would mess with that.

Adding restrictions would likely drop the resale price of points (depending on the nature of the restriction). How that would impact the DVC point market overall, including direct sales, is an open question that requires more assumptions and analysis.
The price difference for all but maybe GC and small packages are already past the point where those that will buy resale will likely do so. Whether it's 50% discount or 90% will likely make little difference, esp since many who buy resale do so impulsively without knowing the full info about other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray52 View Post
Resale restrictions hurt everyone except DVD... It will hurt buyers and sellers (there will be less resale buyers, more sellers)... Driving more people on or near the fence to buying/adding direct. The vast majority of direct sales are vacationers with no knowledge of resale (I read about +-75%?)... So by adding restrictions, they are, in my opinion, only looking to take the +-25% that buy resale and make that number maybe 24% or 23% or any percentage less than 25%. I think they look at it as purely an accounting decision... If adding a restriction will increase direct sales by 1% and lower resale by 1%, that's what they'll do.
We likely agree more than disagree but I'm not sure that resale restrictions actually hurt owners unless they take away something of true value which they haven't yet done. By lowering the price without removing the items of value, they have actually helped knowledgeable buyers. They certainly could affect price and that would hurt all who intend to sell, they could also affect the ability to sell regardless of the price. Since most owners don't go in thinking about selling, I doubt this issue will have much affect on sales.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.