Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #31
~Tonga Wingo~
A.K.A Mrs. Dale

Akershus for breakfast. Wonderful imo. Plus you get a free souvenir photo with Belle!

WDW Commando Member #143
-----------------------------------------------
Latest Trips: June 2010 ASMo / May 2011 Pop / June 2012 Music / Oct 2013 POR

Upcoming trip!! AKL - Nov 2014
~Tonga Wingo~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #32
kwdw
DIS Veteran

I just did another solo trip and tried Sci-Fi Diner for the first time. I really liked that as a solo traveler because of the cars. It's only 2 folks per seat anyway - so I was the single in the last row of a car. The environment of the restaurant with the seat arrangements and the movie clips to watch made it easy and enjoyable to be a solo diner.

That said - I've eaten at ALOT of places solo now and really think you should just pick places where the food/prices/times available fit you best. I've had great experiences everywhere.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #33
Justine825
Earning My Ears

@~Tonga Wingo~ Sounds awesome! Belle is my favorite princess, so if it fits into my schedule maybe I'll make an ADR there.

@kwdw Yeah, there's so many restaurants I can't decide on (50s PT or Sci Fi etc) that I'll just see which ones fit best with my schedule. Great to hear that you've had good experiences.

August 2008-POP (birthday trip with DMom), August 2013-First Solo Trip-ASMu

Justine825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #34
Justine825
Earning My Ears

Bump!

Old 12-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #35
BunsenH
Bringing Order to Chaos

I also recommend the "Cooking Place" (counter) at Jiko. While I've always been there with my wife, we have had a solo next to us each time. The "Where are you from?, What are you eating?, What did you do today?" conversation makes the time fly by. We've even shared a dessert with new found solo friends. Also, although the chefs are preparing only the appetizers there, they know all about the entrees as they rotate stations. Food and wine suggestions are easily shared. Maybe even a bite of food! GO!

You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?...
BunsenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #36
WizardLarz
DIS Veteran

Jiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsenH View Post
I also recommend the "Cooking Place" (counter) at Jiko. While I've always been there with my wife, we have had a solo next to us each time. The "Where are you from?, What are you eating?, What did you do today?" conversation makes the time fly by. We've even shared a dessert with new found solo friends. Also, although the chefs are preparing only the appetizers there, they know all about the entrees as they rotate stations. Food and wine suggestions are easily shared. Maybe even a bite of food! GO!
I was also going to nominate Jiko's! The first time there I went with the chefs suggestion and tried the duck. When he saw that I was not enjoying it, I told him that I wish I had order the chicken, which had been my other choice. So He said "Wait 2 minutes and we'll a chicken out here." Two minutes latter they swapped out the duck for a chicken dish and only charged me for the one.

Both times I ate there I chatted with the Chefs and the others that were sitting alongside me. It was a enjoyable experience and has made Jiko's my new favorite at WDW.

For other choices try Kouzina's by Cat Cora or The Big River Brew Works at the Boardwalk, at Big River you can sit at the bar. Another great Bar seat is a Ragland Road in DTD.

Like others on this thread I've enjoyed almost every single one of my meals at all the Restaurants at WDW. Don't be afraid to ask your server for advice, I found out that when you order the Trio ( if they still have it ) at Kouzina's, you can get any combination of the 3 items
simplly by asking.

I also want to add If you are a Wine or Beer junkie, try the Flights that are offered at quite a few of the Restuarants.

'88 Off Site -only two parks '00 Off Site '08 Fort Wilderness Campgrounds (Yes,I realy used a tent!) '09 Pop Century
'10 Boardwalk Villas SWW '11 Pop F&W '11 Pop Century Mars Preview '12 Pop Century(hey it's cheap) SWW '12 Pop Century (yes Again)

2010 PRT "I'm off to see the Mickey! The wonderfull cool Mouse! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2383922

Last edited by WizardLarz; 12-25-2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Came up with more Ramblings!
WizardLarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #37
Justine825
Earning My Ears

Jiko sounds wonderful! A lot of people seem to love it. I've also considered Kouzzina and/or Raglan Road.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #38
Justine825
Earning My Ears

Bump!

Old 01-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #39
karice2
DIS Veteran

I do solo for most of my trips. Here are some of my favorites. I usually do TiW so I don't know much about the dining plan. I also have to mention that I am an extrovert. I can find a friend anywhere I go.

Flying Fish Cafe - I really liked sitting at the bar and eating. Bartender was really nice. Since it is also in the conference resort area there are lots of people there to talk to.

Brown Derby - Love it. There is a lot of stuff to look at. The caricatures are fun to look at and there is a lot of hustle and bustle to look at.

Biergarten - Really liked it here. I honestly didn't know what to expect when I went in. (Pre Disboards). If you don't get a good group to talk to at least there is entertainment.

Raglan Road - Love it here. Good food, really friendly atmosphere and entertainment in the evening.

Coral Reef - Food is meh but fish are really nice to look at. Did this as part of candlelight processional.

Jiko - Love the food at Jiko and like to sit by the window and watch people going out to see the animals. I also like the subtle light show that they do to mimic the sunrise or sunset.

Cape May Cafe - I honestly felt invisible when I went for breakfast there. I didn't get to see the characters and the buffet was a little messy for my taste.

Whispering Canyon Cafe- I really liked it there. They have a lot going on so plenty to watch and participate if you want. Really liked it here. Food is a bit heavy so plan on doing some walking around after.

House of Blues - Used to love it, now not so much. They have a lot of cool kitchy things to look at but the menu is not great anymore. I used to go there just to eat the cornbread now it is off my list.

Wolfgang Puck - So disappointed. Felt invisible and did not get good food or service there. Waitresses were too busy flirting or upselling to other tables. Pasta was terrible.

Paradiso 37 - Not my favorite but not the worst. Kind of boring there. I did go at lunch so I could have just went at a bad time. Servers were too busy talking to each other about other servers. I do love gossip so I listened.

Yak & Yeti - Ate at the bar and had a really good conversation with bar tender. Also a really good place to hear cast member gossip.

And now the big daddy of them all

Victoria & Alberts - Yes I did it solo. Yes I loved it and make a point to do it every time I go. It is my way of telling myself that I am a big girl and should treat myself to the best where ever I go. The service is always impeccable and I feel like royalty when I am there. THe NE Divas will attest to how awesome this place is.

If you are looking for something Non- Disney, I highly recommend the Bull & Bear at the Waldorf Astoria. They have an amazing chocolate souffle.

I can't believe I wrote all of this but hope that it helped.

May 2010 -POFQ September 2010 AKL-December 2010 Off-Site
May 2011 BWV- December 2011 Christmas Magic December 2012 Annual Christmas Trip April 2014 Friends and Family May 2014 Star Wars Weekend July 2014 Harambe Nights

I've eaten at 47 out of 240 restaurants at Walt Disney World (20%)
I've eaten at 15 out of 85 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (18%)
I've eaten at 15 out of 70 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (21%)
I've eaten at 7 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (39%)
I've eaten at 0 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (0%)
karice2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #40
NJDiva
NJDiva Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice2
I do solo for most of my trips. Here are some of my favorites. I usually do TiW so I don't know much about the dining plan. I also have to mention that I am an extrovert. I can find a friend anywhere I go.

Flying Fish Cafe - I really liked sitting at the bar and eating. Bartender was really nice. Since it is also in the conference resort area there are lots of people there to talk to.

Brown Derby - Love it. There is a lot of stuff to look at. The caricatures are fun to look at and there is a lot of hustle and bustle to look at.

Biergarten - Really liked it here. I honestly didn't know what to expect when I went in. (Pre Disboards). If you don't get a good group to talk to at least there is entertainment.

Raglan Road - Love it here. Good food, really friendly atmosphere and entertainment in the evening.

Coral Reef - Food is meh but fish are really nice to look at. Did this as part of candlelight processional.

Jiko - Love the food at Jiko and like to sit by the window and watch people going out to see the animals. I also like the subtle light show that they do to mimic the sunrise or sunset.

Cape May Cafe - I honestly felt invisible when I went for breakfast there. I didn't get to see the characters and the buffet was a little messy for my taste.

Whispering Canyon Cafe- I really liked it there. They have a lot going on so plenty to watch and participate if you want. Really liked it here. Food is a bit heavy so plan on doing some walking around after.

House of Blues - Used to love it, now not so much. They have a lot of cool kitchy things to look at but the menu is not great anymore. I used to go there just to eat the cornbread now it is off my list.

Wolfgang Puck - So disappointed. Felt invisible and did not get good food or service there. Waitresses were too busy flirting or upselling to other tables. Pasta was terrible.

Paradiso 37 - Not my favorite but not the worst. Kind of boring there. I did go at lunch so I could have just went at a bad time. Servers were too busy talking to each other about other servers. I do love gossip so I listened.

Yak & Yeti - Ate at the bar and had a really good conversation with bar tender. Also a really good place to hear cast member gossip.

Victoria & Alberts - Yes I did it solo. Yes I loved it and make a point to do it every time I go. It is my way of telling myself that I am a big girl and should treat myself to the best where ever I go. The service is always impeccable and I feel like royalty when I am there. THe NE Divas will attest to how awesome this place is.

If you are looking for something Non- Disney, I highly recommend the Bull & Bear at the Waldorf Astoria. They have an amazing chocolate souffle.

Without question Victoria & Alberts is amazing! It is a dining experience!! I actually have reservations there on my birthday in May...so can't wait. I've never done it solo so I may have to consider it one visit ..but for this round my buff will be joining me. The NE Divas need to go back again ...it really was one of my favorite times in Disney
I have tried a lot on your list...there are some I haven't tried yet...they may be on the list this year!

Last edited by NJDiva; 01-13-2013 at 05:59 PM.
NJDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #41
murmkc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
I eat out every night at home and sit at the bar. I like the opportunity of the turnover with people waiting for a table or being able to chat with the bartender.

My favs are:

Yak n' Yeti
50's Prime Time Cafe
The Wave
Cali Grill
Raglan Road
RFC
Paradiso 37
I agree that the solo dining is best if done seated at the bar. You are more likely to have other solo travelers to chat with and bartenders at Disney are always happy to keep you entertained.

With that said, I would add the Bar at Yachtman's Steakhouse, ESPN Zone and Big River Brewery on the boardwalk, and any other location where you can belly up to the bar in WDW.

Good luck! Any trip to the world, solo or not, is a good trip!
murmkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #42
Justine825
Earning My Ears

@karice2 I am almost certainly going to Raglan Road, so I'm glad to hear another good thing about it. I'm unsure about WCC as I feel that it would be more fun with others. I may go to some of the other places you mentioned.

@murmkc Good to know! I'll make sure to find out where else I could sit at the bar and eat.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #43
MADnNOLA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice2 View Post

What a great List!

I am going solo again in April and staying 10 days!

I am glad to read up on what you enjoy. I Love The Brown Derby, so of course it is a mandatory ADR (2 for this trip!). But I wanted to get out and about more and see some of the other resorts. I have ADRs at Flying Fish, Cape May (dinner), Citricos, Boma, Yak & Yeti, Crystal Palace . . . . I had considered V & A, but decided I didn't want to dress up while on vacation!

I do love the fact that you share the philosophy of "I should treat myself to the best where ever I go". I have been doing that the last year or so, and it makes life so much more fun!
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails." - Samuel L. Clemens

MADnNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #44
karice2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADnNOLA View Post
What a great List!

I am going solo again in April and staying 10 days!

I am glad to read up on what you enjoy. I Love The Brown Derby, so of course it is a mandatory ADR (2 for this trip!). But I wanted to get out and about more and see some of the other resorts. I have ADRs at Flying Fish, Cape May (dinner), Citricos, Boma, Yak & Yeti, Crystal Palace . . . . I had considered V & A, but decided I didn't want to dress up while on vacation!

I do love the fact that you share the philosophy of "I should treat myself to the best where ever I go". I have been doing that the last year or so, and it makes life so much more fun!
It is a bit easier for a girl to dress up on vacation so I completely understand. We can throw a dress in a bag and be done. The bull and bear is less stringent of a dress code but still has really good service and food. I forgot to mention that I really enjoy breakfast at Boma.

I am trying to figure out when I can get down there solo again. I am in need of a fix. Have fun for 10 days. I did two weeks in 2011 and had a great time.

I am a bit of a Diva and work really hard so I do spoil myself. Tiffany blue is my favorite color and if I waited for Prince Charming, I wouldn't get to see it as often as I like. Plus I like Gaston's muscles, those are fun to play with until Prince Charming figures out his GPS to me.

May 2010 -POFQ September 2010 AKL-December 2010 Off-Site
May 2011 BWV- December 2011 Christmas Magic December 2012 Annual Christmas Trip April 2014 Friends and Family May 2014 Star Wars Weekend July 2014 Harambe Nights

I've eaten at 47 out of 240 restaurants at Walt Disney World (20%)
I've eaten at 15 out of 85 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (18%)
I've eaten at 15 out of 70 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (21%)
I've eaten at 7 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (39%)
I've eaten at 0 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (0%)

Last edited by karice2; 01-14-2013 at 08:22 PM. Reason: clarity
karice2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #45
disgram
DIS Veteran

This is going to be my first solo to WDW. My grandkids are going to be seniors in high school and involved in Fall sports. My husband doesn't share my love of all things Disney so I will be going alone. I have decided that as far as doing the parks by myself, I can do that. But when it came to eating by myself, I am a bit afraid. I was considering to do just QS. After reading about all the places you all have gone alone and enjoyed, I have decided to go ahead with the dining plan and do some table meals! I am going to call and make my reseservations and wait for the 180 days to make my ADRs! Thank you, everyone! Maybe I will meet some of you in Sept!
disgram is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: