Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
disneysunshine85
Mouseketeer
 
disneysunshine85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 287

A challenge

I was on the fantasy earlier this month. Loved every minute of it. The ship was GORGEOUS. Especially since it was decorated for Christmas. I have a trip booked for Jan on the Carnival Breeze. I got a really good price and it is a chance for my mom and I to go away together. I am trying to wrap my head around the fact that it will not be Disney and trying to lower my expectations for the trip. I guess I should stop reading reviews about the ship bec some of them are less than glowing... Has anyone gone on carnival and had a good time?
disneysunshine85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
eyesing4u
DVC Member
 
eyesing4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 124

I went on Carnival Holiday for a 5 day Western Caribbean for $149. I could EAT $149 worth of food for that price! Turned out it was the oldest ship in their fleet. The ship, stateroom hosts, and food was subpar. We still managed to have a great time and the ports were awesome. We knew what we were getting into, so we lowered our expectations and made lemonades out of lemons. Hope you have fun!
__________________
eyesing4u is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,365

We have sailed on Carnival twice. We did not enjoy either time.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
disneysunshine85
Mouseketeer
 
disneysunshine85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 287

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesing4u
I went on Carnival Holiday for a 5 day Western Caribbean for $149. I could EAT $149 worth of food for that price! Turned out it was the oldest ship in their fleet. The ship, stateroom hosts, and food was subpar. We still managed to have a great time and the ports were awesome. We knew what we were getting into, so we lowered our expectations and made lemonades out of lemons. Hope you have fun!
Yes I am trying to lower my expectations. I'm hoping that it won't be that bad because it is their newest ship... But who knows!
disneysunshine85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran
 
ilovetexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Suburban Atlanta
Posts: 1,317

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysunshine85 View Post
Yes I am trying to lower my expectations. I'm hoping that it won't be that bad because it is their newest ship... But who knows!
Oh for heaven's sake, you've already made up your mind that it's going to be bad....don't bother.
__________________
ilovetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
heatherb819
Mouseketeer
 
heatherb819's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 394

We've cruised Carnival plenty of times and had a wonderful experience each time. Yes it's not Disney but there are things on other lines we like better and things on DCL we like better than the others. In my opinion, it's what you make of the vacation, if you sit around and think about how it's not DCL & how terrible this & that is, then yes you will probably have a bad time. If you go with the attitude that it's a whole new experience then I think it will be fine!! Enjoy!!! After all it's a cruise!!
__________________


Disney Magic May 2013 EBTA
Carnival Magic Sept 2012
Carnival Fantasy April 2012
Disney Magic 2011 Transatlantic
Carnival Elation 2010
Disney Magic 2009
Carnival Imagination 2008
Carnival Triumph 2007
RC Majesty of the Seas 2006
heatherb819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
disneysunshine85
Mouseketeer
 
disneysunshine85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 287

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas

Oh for heaven's sake, you've already made up your mind that it's going to be bad....don't bother.
I'm just saying that it won't have the magic and quality of Disney that's all
disneysunshine85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
disneysunshine85
Mouseketeer
 
disneysunshine85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 287

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherb819
We've cruised Carnival plenty of times and had a wonderful experience each time. Yes it's not Disney but there are things on other lines we like better and things on DCL we like better than the others. In my opinion, it's what you make of the vacation, if you sit around and think about how it's not DCL & how terrible this & that is, then yes you will probably have a bad time. If you go with the attitude that it's a whole new experience then I think it will be fine!! Enjoy!!! After all it's a cruise!!
I think I just read too many reviews today! I am going to walk in with an open mind. Thank you so much.
disneysunshine85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #9
lodge
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 844

Oooo, tough one. I would rather not go than to try to enjoy something that is not what I've come to love. I'd be looking around the whole time, thinking ugh-this and ugh-that.
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:44 AM   #10
Scillycruisers
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Isles of Scilly, Cornwall UK
Posts: 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysunshine85
I was on the fantasy earlier this month. Loved every minute of it. The ship was GORGEOUS. Especially since it was decorated for Christmas. I have a trip booked for Jan on the Carnival Breeze. I got a really good price and it is a chance for my mom and I to go away together. I am trying to wrap my head around the fact that it will not be Disney and trying to lower my expectations for the trip. I guess I should stop reading reviews about the ship bec some of them are less than glowing... Has anyone gone on carnival and had a good time?
You're on holiday, you're on a cruise, who cares about the rest - enjoy!!!!!!!!
__________________
Scillycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
quickcat
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 391

Dont read the reviews from cruise critic- you should go to the carnival section on cruise critic and the family section under cruise critic and then you'll read some positive reviews. The others seem to just be negative.
We have sailed Carnival before and had a fine time. We did not see anyone drunk, no wild party groups, etc. We are not out at night though We are early to bed, early to rise people but I do want to sail the Breeze sometime. Trying new ships is the fun part of sailing. Go and then you make your own review of sailing on Carnival.
We had great staff- always friendly and smiling. None seemed to hate their job or be mad for working.
Have a great time- I read their ropes course is great!
quickcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises
 
mmouse37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Too far from the Magic!!
Posts: 27,438

DCL is obviously my all time favorite cruise line but we have done a few Carnival cruises and always had a great time and I purposely do not compare when I am onboard. I just have a good time and try not to think about the differences.

I truly believe you make your own fun and if you go into something with a preconceived notion then every little thing will reinforce that and you will have a horrible time.

Go in knowing it will just be a different experience...not necessarily a bad one.

MJ
__________________
31 DCL Cruises and Counting!
Disney Magic - 19 times - Official Maiden Voyage July 30, 1998, Re-imagined Magic October 27, 2013
Disney Wonder - 5 times
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #13
ekatiel
DIS Veteran
 
ekatiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Friendswood, TX
Posts: 1,798

We are sailing DCL for the first time in February, so I can't compare, but we've been multiple times on both Carnival and Royal, and we like both lines. Go to the Carnival boards on cruise critic, and find out all the little things that will make your cruise special. The warm chocolate melting cake is SUPER yummy on Carnival, and you can get it every night if you want to . Carnival bartenders make a drink called "A Kiss on the Lips" which is one of my favorite fru-fru drinks. I also hear that Guy's burger bar is good, and it's free. You'll also have the two waterslides and the ropes course. Anyhow, each line has extra touches that make it unique, so head over to the Carnival Boards on cruise critic and see what they are! --Katie
__________________
ekatiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran
 
Tonka's Skipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Connecticut in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 4,729

We did 2 carnival cruises and never again. We had problems with the drunks and the noise in the middle of the night, drunk in the passageways, but I am told the longer cruises are better.

I do have problems with Carnival Inc., safely record and they are being investaged due to the Concordia sinking and other vessel fires, casualities,etc.

I would try RCL if you want to safe some money, We did the Freedom andenjoyed it, but DCL is our favorite.

Sorry I will not permit my family to sail on any carnival Inc, line vessel, with the exception of Cunard and Princess. They seem to operate with a little more independence.


AKK
Tonka's Skipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #15
MND
DIS Veteran
 
MND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,178

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysunshine85 View Post
Has anyone gone on carnival and had a good time?

No. No one has ever sailed on Carnival and had a good time. That is why they have a zillion ships that sail all over the world.

You will have a blast, if you go in with the right attitude. Remember, it's you who controls whether you enjoy your experience or not.

Personally, I hope you have a lot of fun.

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.