Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
pharmlivin
Mouseketeer

Anyone else read this TRIPADVISOR review of Aulani...

I know you have to take all reviews with a grain but I have found TRIPADVISOR to be among the better sites for resort evaluations.
I cut and pasted it but you can see it in its original at TRIPADVISOR:

“Dangerous resort”
Reviewed December 24, 2012 NEW
My daughter and husband, along with their 31/2 year old son visited the Aulani in early December.
The day before they were to come home they were lounging by the pool with their son at 4:00 in the afternoon.. Unprovoked, 5 local Hawaiians, 2 males and 3 females attacked them at poolside.. My daughter experienced multiple lacerations,sprains,bruises and chipped teeth, her husband beatin unconscious all while their son was screaming.. Arrests were made and an apology came from the staff.. Needless to say none of us will return..

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
pharmlivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Tikihula
DIS Veteran

I can see this happening on a local beach that isn't frequented by lots of tourists, but hard to believe it was at Aulani around the pool. Aren't there lifeguards at the pool who would call security immediately? If it really happened, I wonder if it was a gang initiation or something like a dare among teenagers or young adults to see if they could get away with invading a resort and create havoc.
Anybody have any more information on this incident?
Tikihula is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikihula View Post
Anybody have any more information on this incident?
The Kapolei, Oahu Newspaper had nothing on it. I googled Aulani assault and nothing. Looked up recent crime reports for that area and nothing.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #4
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
The Kapolei, Oahu Newspaper had nothing on it. I googled Aulani assault and nothing. Looked up recent crime reports for that area and nothing.
Doesn't mean it didn't happen.. Not everything that happens at Disney World is reported either.
Trip advisor though is not known for its honest reviews because anyone can post anything for any reason about a resort.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
brucerob62
Mouseketeer

sorry to hear this..I grew up believing just because of one bad experience no matter where it happened..I will never say i will never return..cause if i beleived that way . i would be staying at home and never leaving the house..cause i have bad experiences at restaurants..airports..driving in cars..retail stores..gas stations.. but i still go back..hopefully time will heal..aulani is beautiful im sure this is an isolated incident.
brucerob62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

With no corroboration at all I would not let one post on a travel site bother me.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

Either Disney paid them off REAL good.. or it didn't happen.

Cause you better believe if it showed up in a police report, there would be reporters all over it given the prominence of Disney ... etc.

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

I refuse to listen to tripadvisor reviews. I hope this isn't true because it's a horrible thing for any family to go through.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGuy
Either Disney paid them off REAL good.. or it didn't happen.

Cause you better believe if it showed up in a police report, there would be reporters all over it given the prominence of Disney ... etc.
Totally agree. The report said arrest were made so there has to be a report some where.

I find this very hard to believe that some gang of people are going to attack another couple for no reason. There would be more to the story. Or at least why it was done.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
maggiew
If she hates to be wet, then how does the survive bathing?

I can't comment specifically on this review. However, I will say that Aulani is accessible by outsiders because it opens up onto the beach with a public walkway around it. BUT, when we were there it didn't seem like there were many "locals" around. Everyone looked like tourists to me. (I know that is a generalization and I had no way to know that. However everyone I talked to was a visitor.) The resort is in a fairly secluded area. Not much around except the few resorts there. Plus the Paradise Cove luau thing, I guess.

Maggie
Prince Sakura Hotel TDR * Marriott Residence Inn LBV Dec 2013 * Hotel Cheyenne DLPR May 2013 * Aulani July 2012 * Royal Pacific July 2011 * Pop Century Aug 2010 * Disneyland Oct 2009 * Beach Club July 2009 * AsMo Dec 2007 Mousefest! * Old Key West July 2006 * Pop Century Dec. 2005 Mousefest! * Sheraton Safari July 2005 * Pop Century/Portofino Bay Hotel August 2004 * Coronado Springs Nov 2003 * Dolphin June 2003 * POR Nov/Dec 2002 * AsMu 1999 * AsSp 1997
maggiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
gwynne
DIS Veteran

I read the Tripadvisor story several times. I am not for certain that the reviewer was even staying at the hotel. It doesn't appear to me that the writer was present during the "attack". Nothing seems to be written from a first person point of view.

The author states their daughter and family were at the hotel. The writer proceeds to give their take on an alleged crime.
The thing that really sticks out to me the part that alleges a family member being "beaten unconscious." There is no mention of an ambulance, ER transport, hospital stay, or other general details one would expect with something so medically serious. I would think these at least some of these details would be mentioned, but they are not.
On the other hand, there is a specific reference about the supposed ethnicity of the alleged perpetrators.

I'm finding it hard to see credibility in this apparent second hand story. Links to local media with verified story details would be most helpful.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ginny
gwynne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

Read it and find it so hard to believe. At least at the pool area. When we were there in July, there were LOTS of cast members around. It seems like they would been on the scene pronto. However, my opinion of Aulani is that it is VERY open. You can just walk in there. In fact, I thought to myself at the time, anyone could just walk in here, hop in this lazy river, bring a mug and fill up undetected at the drink station near the pool restrooms.....there was no one manning it. I truly believe you could come there and spend the day if you really wanted to. Maybe you couldn't use the slide or get a towel but you could def hang out. And, it appears people do this. But beating someone unconscience without intervention seems unlikely.

We LOVEDDDDDD our stay at Aulani and cannot wait to return!
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #13
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

when I was in Hawaii (not at Aulani) it was noted that Hawaii doesn't have private beaches. The beaches are entirely open to the public. But it was stated that this attack did not take place on the beach, but poolside at the resort in the middle of the afternoon. I'm sure it's open to allow access for guests to the beach, and they can't restrict the beach.

Sure it could have happened. I'd be interested in seeing the police report though. Attacking a family sitting around a resort pool for no reason (no robbery was alleged as far as the post goes) doesn't make a great deal of sense. Sounds almost like a gang thing...would also want to know if Oahu has gangs.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
Carriemel
Emma Clare's Mommy

There is a web site that shows all crime in an area :

http://spotcrime.com/#21.339855%2C%20-158.1227

Absolutely nothing for Aulani.

Hakuna Matata!
Carriemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #15
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

went to find it and it seems like it is gone.

when one review is this bad - would definitely look at the other reviews from this person.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: