Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
bahacca
Mouseketeer

Wonder won't be doing Mexico for several YEARS

Was in line at Target buying a cute top with anchors all over it for the sail away party. As luck would have it, a person ahead of me is wearing a jacket with "WONDER" on the back of it in Walt font and it has Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico, etc on it. So I ask him "How many times have you sailed on the Wonder?" He laughs. "I'm a stage manager for the shows, so a lot." He's on break now, but will be the SM on my cruise in April I asked him if Disney planned to do Mexico or any other itineraries on the West Coast and he said "We may do a few before heading to Alaska, but Mexico is a definite no, probably for several years." I asked him if safety was the issue and he said "100% yes. We had to practically BEG people to board the ship to go there." A bummer for me since I live in CA. Thought others may want to know.
Oh-and I asked him if I should bring candy for the people who will do the character signatures and he said "They get SO much candy and stuff-they'd probably prefer you leave it at home." I was a bit surprised after what i'd read here, but... Maybe I'll give granola bars or something instead!
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
Was in line at Target buying a cute top with anchors all over it for the sail away party. As luck would have it, a person ahead of me is wearing a jacket with "WONDER" on the back of it in Walt font and it has Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico, etc on it. So I ask him "How many times have you sailed on the Wonder?" He laughs. "I'm a stage manager for the shows, so a lot." He's on break now, but will be the SM on my cruise in April I asked him if Disney planned to do Mexico or any other itineraries on the West Coast and he said "We may do a few before heading to Alaska, but Mexico is a definite no, probably for several years." I asked him if safety was the issue and he said "100% yes. We had to practically BEG people to board the ship to go there." A bummer for me since I live in CA. Thought others may want to know.
Oh-and I asked him if I should bring candy for the people who will do the character signatures and he said "They get SO much candy and stuff-they'd probably prefer you leave it at home." I was a bit surprised after what i'd read here, but... Maybe I'll give granola bars or something instead!

No offense meant here, but, I wonder how much input the stage manager has in planning DCL itineraries?

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info....yeah, with all the specials available, one could guess that these weren't popular cruises.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

Interesting to get perspective from someone on the ship. Thanks for sharing!

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
shaggy430
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
Candy for Character Signatures? Sorry..what is that?
shaggy430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
bahacca
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy430 View Post
Candy for Character Signatures? Sorry..what is that?
Each room is allowed to drop off items to be signed at Guest Services. It has been suggested here to include candy or goodies for the CMs since they cannot accept money for these services. I'm now thinking perhaps granola bars will be what I include.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
chrissyt27
DIS Veteran

We put in fruit snacks and candy. Leftover candy from FE gifts. I think the bars would go over well too.
December 2007 Disneyland Trip with DH, December 2008 WDW trip with DH and Aunt!!
February 2009 2nd anniversary “Magic” Cruise
November 2009 Birthday at WDW, December 2010 Disney "Magic" Cruise, December 2012 "Wonder" 14 Night Panama Cruise
chrissyt27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

. . . I wonder how much input the stage manager has in planning DCL itineraries?
He probably doesn't have much input in planning itineraries, but as a manager onboard the Wonder, is likely privy to insider information.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:25 AM   #9
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

BUMMER. I so miss the Wonder here. I would be booking. Ugh.

I would have struck up a conversation too
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
dismom73
It's an illness, I know!
Shares a special day with Disneyland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
He probably doesn't have much input in planning itineraries, but as a manager onboard the Wonder, is likely privy to insider information.

Woody
You're probably right...also, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out those cruises weren't selling and DCL is not going to stay in a market that doesn't sell well.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismom73 View Post

You're probably right...also, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out those cruises weren't selling and DCL is not going to stay in a market that doesn't sell well.
Like Galveston.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: