Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
bahacca
Mouseketeer
 
bahacca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: 15 minutes East of Disneyland
Posts: 456

Wonder won't be doing Mexico for several YEARS

Was in line at Target buying a cute top with anchors all over it for the sail away party. As luck would have it, a person ahead of me is wearing a jacket with "WONDER" on the back of it in Walt font and it has Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico, etc on it. So I ask him "How many times have you sailed on the Wonder?" He laughs. "I'm a stage manager for the shows, so a lot." He's on break now, but will be the SM on my cruise in April I asked him if Disney planned to do Mexico or any other itineraries on the West Coast and he said "We may do a few before heading to Alaska, but Mexico is a definite no, probably for several years." I asked him if safety was the issue and he said "100% yes. We had to practically BEG people to board the ship to go there." A bummer for me since I live in CA. Thought others may want to know.
Oh-and I asked him if I should bring candy for the people who will do the character signatures and he said "They get SO much candy and stuff-they'd probably prefer you leave it at home." I was a bit surprised after what i'd read here, but... Maybe I'll give granola bars or something instead!
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17,103

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
Was in line at Target buying a cute top with anchors all over it for the sail away party. As luck would have it, a person ahead of me is wearing a jacket with "WONDER" on the back of it in Walt font and it has Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico, etc on it. So I ask him "How many times have you sailed on the Wonder?" He laughs. "I'm a stage manager for the shows, so a lot." He's on break now, but will be the SM on my cruise in April I asked him if Disney planned to do Mexico or any other itineraries on the West Coast and he said "We may do a few before heading to Alaska, but Mexico is a definite no, probably for several years." I asked him if safety was the issue and he said "100% yes. We had to practically BEG people to board the ship to go there." A bummer for me since I live in CA. Thought others may want to know.
Oh-and I asked him if I should bring candy for the people who will do the character signatures and he said "They get SO much candy and stuff-they'd probably prefer you leave it at home." I was a bit surprised after what i'd read here, but... Maybe I'll give granola bars or something instead!

No offense meant here, but, I wonder how much input the stage manager has in planning DCL itineraries?

__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

Thanks for the info....yeah, with all the specials available, one could guess that these weren't popular cruises.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Western Washington State
Posts: 1,560

Interesting to get perspective from someone on the ship. Thanks for sharing!
__________________
plus age 10 and age 8
Disneyland 9/16-20 '08 & 9/13-18 '10 at the DI&S, DLH 9/10-17 '11 and the Grand 2/26-3/2 '13
Disney Wonder to Alaska 8/20-27 '12...Aulani 3/26-4/3 '14 heading BACK to Alaska on the Wonder! 8/24/15

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
shaggy430
Earning My Ears
 
shaggy430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
Oh-and I asked him if I should bring candy for the people who will do the character signatures and he said "They get SO much candy and stuff-they'd probably prefer you leave it at home." I was a bit surprised after what i'd read here, but... Maybe I'll give granola bars or something instead!
Candy for Character Signatures? Sorry..what is that?
shaggy430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
bahacca
Mouseketeer
 
bahacca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: 15 minutes East of Disneyland
Posts: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy430 View Post
Candy for Character Signatures? Sorry..what is that?
Each room is allowed to drop off items to be signed at Guest Services. It has been suggested here to include candy or goodies for the CMs since they cannot accept money for these services. I'm now thinking perhaps granola bars will be what I include.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
chrissyt27
DIS Veteran
 
chrissyt27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: MidWest
Posts: 847

We put in fruit snacks and candy. Leftover candy from FE gifts. I think the bars would go over well too.
__________________
October 1991 Caribbean Beach, Fall 1999 Vista Way, Poly, All Star, Ft. Wilderness, Summer 2000 Chatham Square, June 2001 All Star Music, October 2002 Port Orleans Riverside
March 2003 Grand Floridian, February 2004 “Magic” Cruise, October 2005 Birthday and First Trip with DB
December 2006 Christmas trip with DF, February 2007 Disney Magic Honeymoom Cruise!!
December 2007 Disneyland Trip with DH, December 2008 WDW trip with DH and Aunt!!
February 2009 2nd anniversary “Magic” Cruise
November 2009 Birthday at WDW, December 2010 Disney "Magic" Cruise, December 2012 "Wonder" 14 Night Panama Cruise
chrissyt27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

. . . I wonder how much input the stage manager has in planning DCL itineraries?
He probably doesn't have much input in planning itineraries, but as a manager onboard the Wonder, is likely privy to insider information.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:25 AM   #9
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 3,837

BUMMER. I so miss the Wonder here. I would be booking. Ugh.

I would have struck up a conversation too
__________________
Disney Wonder - 4/27/03 - 4 Day
Disney Magic - 5/8/04 - Western
Disney Magic - 6/24/05 - Mexican Riviera
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
dismom73
It's an illness, I know!
Shares a special day with Disneyland!
 
dismom73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 1,730

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
He probably doesn't have much input in planning itineraries, but as a manager onboard the Wonder, is likely privy to insider information.

Woody
You're probably right...also, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out those cruises weren't selling and DCL is not going to stay in a market that doesn't sell well.
__________________
dismom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismom73 View Post

You're probably right...also, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out those cruises weren't selling and DCL is not going to stay in a market that doesn't sell well.
Like Galveston.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.