Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
riofriotex
Earning My Ears

Disney Magic Palo (newbie) question

Just made our final payment for our January 4 cruise out of Galveston, and the first thing I did was make Palo reservations. I got brunch the first at sea day (at the time we wanted) and dinner the second sea day (again, at the time we wanted).

I was surprised to learn, though, that we couldn't make any more Palo reservations. Keep in mind, I'm a newbie to Disney, but I've done previous cruises with NCL (Freestyle Dining) and RCCL (My Time Dining) and we rarely ate in the main dining rooms (and every time we did, we got a table for two), as we enjoy the specialty restaurants.

So - for my questions:

1) Is it possible to pick up additional Palo reservations once we are on the cruise?

2) Do only certain cruises have a Palo High Tea? I noticed the "Reserve Activities" web page says "Each Guest ... may dine at Palo only once per cruise for each meal – Dinner, Brunch and High Tea." I did not see any High Teas offered any day - or perhaps they are sold out?

3) I deliberately did not book Palo for formal night, which I understand is the first at sea day. Hubby is not into formal; I will be lucky to get a sports jacket on him. I assumed that Palo would definitely require formal dress that night (suit and tie for him) - was that an incorrect assumption?

Thanks in advance for your help!
riofriotex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
chirurgeon
I am a delicate flower and need my sleep
I'm trying to avoid Emeldaitis

1) I believe you can make more reservations once you are onboard. You are definitely limited to one each pre boarding.

2). They have eliminated High Tea unfortunately. I was hoping for tea on my upcoming trip on the Fantasy.

3) Palo is always somewhat dressier. Sport coat with a tie should be ok (I think, I like dressing up and no hubby to accommodate)

Have a great time. I hope you love Palo as much as I do.
CBR 4/00, YC 12/02, ASSp 6/05, AKL/BWI 12/06, ASSP/POFQ 6/07, POFQ/AKL 12/08, PCC 1 5/09, Dolphin/POP 2.0 12/09, POFQ/BCV 04/10, PCC 2.0 12/10, POR 12/11, ABD BSM 7/12, PCC 4.0 12/12, BC 4/13, ABD BSM 7/14
chirurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

In Palo a man needs a dress shirt or jacket. No tie is required. This is their dress code every night, even formal night.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
lostatdisney
Mouseketeer

Also keep in mind that the main dining rooms on the Magic are all very special. (You really don't want to miss Animator's Palate!) And most night's have a special menu - Pirate Night, the Golden Mickeys, etc. Palo is wonderful, but please don't overlook the main dining rooms.

It can also be nice to be seated with others. My DD16 and I cruised on the Dream in March, and we really enjoyed being seated with another mom and daughter and a family with a son and a daughter.

Glad you're taking the cruise from Galveston! We live in Houston, and I'm hoping to work one into our schedule!
1998 - Disneyland - first Disney trip with kids!
2001 - Disneyland
2004 - Spring Break at WDW - POR
2006 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
2008 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
August 2009 - Cruising on the Disney Magic!
2010 - Spring Break at DLR - GC
2012 - Mother Daughter Cruise on the Dream!
2013 - Spring Break at WDW - BCV
On my first trip to Disneyland when I was just seven years old, I got lost when I ran ahead of my family trying to see Mickey as he led the parade. My parents soon retrieved me from the Lost and Found, but I've never found a place that I would rather be lost than Disney.
lostatdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

If Palo has openings you will be allowed to reserve additional meals there. They just want everyone to have the opportunity to book before allowing repeat guests. Check with the maitre d' and ask to be wait-listed.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:22 AM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

On the first day on board, you can waitlist addition Palo meals. They will not give you a slot until the second day (in order for everyone to have a chance at one before anyone gets multiples).

There is no high tea.

The Palo dress code is the same every night. Yes, some people will be more dressed up on formal and semi nights, but it is not required. There is no alteration of the Palo dress code regardless of the "suggested attire" in the main dining rooms.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
zstyles
Mouseketeer

We had a Palo reservation and actually cancelled it, we went to Brunch it was nice but we really were just having too much fun and our other dinners were nice that we just didn't want to get dressed up again to go to a formal dinner...while you might think now you'll like it, but for us we had fun at the other dinners, the brunch was a nice change...at our 6th night on board I was ready for a burger and fries!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

To be clear--Palo is not formal. Not ever. A man's jacket is not even required although most men do wear one.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
MD Dad55
Earning My Ears

MY entire family is going on Jan 5 Wonder. We have reservations at Palo on the 4th night, but the computer will not let me add my 17 yr old son. Is there any wiggle room with the staff? He is large in stature and isn't your typical little kid. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
MD Dad55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Dad55 View Post
MY entire family is going on Jan 5 Wonder. We have reservations at Palo on the 4th night, but the computer will not let me add my 17 yr old son. Is there any wiggle room with the staff? He is large in stature and isn't your typical little kid. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Palo is an adult only venue. DCL defines an adult as one who has attained at least his 18th birthday. No exceptions. And no way around it because you'll show a birth certificate or passport to board which will show the info on DCL's computer.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
MD Dad55
Earning My Ears

Wow! Thanks so much for the rapid reply. The news is disappointing, but understandable.
MD Dad55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #12
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Dad55 View Post
Wow! Thanks so much for the rapid reply. The news is disappointing, but understandable.
It will be that much more special next time. We celebrated DD's 18th birthday in Palo.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #13
chrissyt27
DIS Veteran

Brunch is AMAZING! We did it 3 times on our 14 night cruise this last month. You just book more when on board. The last one was booked the night before, just called to see if they had room.
You do need to dress up. DH wore a button down shirt to brunch and long pants. I had dresses, sun dresses, but they do say no shorts, no tank tops, no something else when they remind you of your reservation. Just a nicer shirt will do for brunch for your DH, but I am sure just about everyone wears jackets at dinner.
December 2007 Disneyland Trip with DH, December 2008 WDW trip with DH and Aunt!!
February 2009 2nd anniversary “Magic” Cruise
November 2009 Birthday at WDW, December 2010 Disney "Magic" Cruise, December 2012 "Wonder" 14 Night Panama Cruise
chrissyt27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #14
kcashner
DIS Veteran

There is a difference between what most people wear and the minimum requirements. The full dress code is posted in the sticky at the top of the boards as well as on the DCL web site. The final "not allowed" is jeans.

Gentlemen are not required to wear a jacket at dinner. I agree that most do, but it is not necessary.

For Remy, a jacket is required.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: