Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #31
violetmonarch
Mouseketeer

My daughter and son are ten years apart. So while my daughter is thrilled...my son has very little idea of what it means. It think the reaction I am waiting for is the one that we all will fee when actually stepping on board and it actually being real then. Make sure you tell us all how great of a time you had! I am on the same cruise as you, btw

Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2013
violetmonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #32
familyfundisneyway
Earning My Ears

I am sooo glad that your feeling better!I agree the posts have been great.We are blessed to be able to take another Cruise and surprised them again for Christmas.We had the character call at 5pm so 5min before call I had them go sit on couch.Camera and camcorde was ready.Boy was that a long wait.....yes they were surprised.DS14 was most excited about the KeyWest stop so he could get real KeyLime pie?!?!?!DS5 was happy and about a minute later was playing with his toys!For a sec I thought Oh nooo we have spoiled them so much their not that excited!?but brought myself back to reality.Last year I couldin't stop talking about cruise,my oldest said I'll get excited when It's actually happening-and they did!!Yes there may not be some picture perfect moments while even on cruise(or everyday life for that matter)but its all good:cheer2 I showed my oldest your post and he laughed.Yes I too have my freak out moments,and I'm sure hes old enough to relieze we as parents try so hard(maybe too hard sometimes).Than he looked at me and said skylander is really neat Have fun on your cruise
familyfundisneyway is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #33
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Of course the disappointment was understandable but kids (especially young kids) often don't react the way you expect them to regarding something that isn't happening RIGHT NOW. My nephews are older and would have preferred to play Skylander too.

as for not getting the great video you anticipated...google "Disney world Dick's house" if that is still around on YouTube...
Old 12-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #34
Blanche_Neige
DIS Veteran

Every year I would surprise the kids with a trip to WDW and it always went very well.

My son Sam (then 8) saw a the DCL commercial and really wanted to go, we got the DVD and he was so excited. So we decided to book a DCL.

We went to WDW as a surprise first. At the end of our trip just before leaving the room we announced that we were going on the cruise. 2 of my DS were beyond excited, Sam started crying in horror!! Then we found out he had googled scene from Titanic and Poseidon a couple of weeks before we left Posted the video on FB

He did not want to go, he cried the entire ride to the port. At the port as we were passing security he was still crying... The officer told him it it was only a movie it never happen... I had to carry him, he was clutched to me like a panda!! All the CM were so wonderful and tried to help but he was still freaked out... They made us board right away, guess they did not want him to scare the other kids "we all gonna die" "it's going to sink"

In the end he did have fun but stayed anxious. He did a second cruise, he refused to come. He said he may tried it again...
March 2011- All Star Sports + 1st trip to US offsite
Oct 2011 - Dream + POP + MNSSHP
March 2012 - US offsite + DTD shopping spree (I need my fix )
Feb 2013 - Disneyland off site 1st time!
March 2014 - DCL Dream
Blanche_Neige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #35
deserrai
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry they didn't react the way you wanted. I've been there too. I've imagined DD3 experiencing something and had tears in my eyes. When we get there, she could not be less impressed. But, she always remembers and talks about it for months afterward.

deserrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #36
Kimbo71
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark View Post

Being a surprisaphobic, I've learned there are more of us than one might think. Everyone loves a surprise party, right? Not really. For many of us, our brains don't do well with it and the thought is repulsive. If you know your child does well with surprises, great. But if you're not sure, know that it's not a one-size fits all proposition.
While DH& I both love a good surprise, this is exactly why we told our kids at Chirstmas about our cruise booked for Feb. DD 11 HATES surprises. She would be a grump & ruin it for everyone around her if we didn't give her plenty of warning!

Kimbo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #37
Cruiser76
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanche_Neige View Post
Every year I would surprise the kids with a trip to WDW and it always went very well.

My son Sam (then 8) saw a the DCL commercial and really wanted to go, we got the DVD and he was so excited. So we decided to book a DCL.

We went to WDW as a surprise first. At the end of our trip just before leaving the room we announced that we were going on the cruise. 2 of my DS were beyond excited, Sam started crying in horror!! Then we found out he had googled scene from Titanic and Poseidon a couple of weeks before we left Posted the video on FB

He did not want to go, he cried the entire ride to the port. At the port as we were passing security he was still crying... The officer told him it it was only a movie it never happen... I had to carry him, he was clutched to me like a panda!! All the CM were so wonderful and tried to help but he was still freaked out... They made us board right away, guess they did not want him to scare the other kids "we all gonna die" "it's going to sink"

In the end he did have fun but stayed anxious. He did a second cruise, he refused to come. He said he may tried it again...
You 8 year old Googled Titanic video and The Poseidon Adventure video, watched them without you knowing, and then posted it on Facebook without you knowing, or am I reading this wrong?!?!? lol!
Cruiser76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #38
anniemck
DIS Veteran

We planned a trip to Disney when the kids were little, my cousin her husband and two kids were coming as well. My kids were not allowed to say a thing about the trip to her kids as she did not want to tell them, in case something happened on the way and the plan had to change. To this day that is the only time her kids have ever been to Disney, they were 3 and 6 at the time, are 25 and 22 now. And we all live 2 1/2 hours away. The kids hated it because she is so uptight about everything she would not let them ride BTMRR, even though they were the right height. Don't even think about HM... she wanted to keep them in Fantasy Land all day long.

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #39
Blanche_Neige
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser76 View Post
You 8 year old Googled Titanic video and The Poseidon Adventure video, watched them without you knowing, and then posted it on Facebook without you knowing, or am I reading this wrong?!?!? lol!
He watch clips/parts of the Titanic & Poseidon movie that are on you tube. I did not know that he did. He is a wiz at the computer managed to bypass most parental control. We (and the IT guy) have no clue how he does it.

I posted the video of us telling them about the cruise on FB
March 2011- All Star Sports + 1st trip to US offsite
Oct 2011 - Dream + POP + MNSSHP
March 2012 - US offsite + DTD shopping spree (I need my fix )
Feb 2013 - Disneyland off site 1st time!
March 2014 - DCL Dream
Blanche_Neige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #40
Cruiser76
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanche_Neige View Post
He watch clips/parts of the Titanic & Poseidon movie that are on you tube. I did not know that he did. He is a wiz at the computer managed to bypass most parental control. We (and the IT guy) have no clue how he does it.

I posted the video of us telling them about the cruise on FB
Oh wow!
You should enrol him in an IT school!
Cruiser76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #41
4redheads
Earning My Ears

Since having 4 kids means that I can get one of each type of reaction, I know to just work with what I got. A week of Disney, no dishes, cooked meals, room service. Who cares want they think. Actually, I let my non surprise child in on the planning earlier than my others. But I never do anything last minute as that means I am missing out on 8 extra hands - and we don't leave until the house and bedrooms are clean. Little ones of course are clueless and can only be prepared for what is going to happen next. Lol yes, we do monitor what they watch so no airplane or titanic movies!
4redheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #42
lady9
DIS Veteran

Our children were 4 and 9 when we surprised them with a trip to Disney. We told them we were going to visit a friend in Houston to get them on the plane. When we got the rental car and the kids started passing signs to Disney, DS 9 said, "I think dad is going the wrong way." We told them the surprise. DD 4 started to scream, "I wanted to go to Houston!" over and over and had a huge meltdown. The poor bellman opened her door to welcome "The Princess" and she screamed, "Shut the door, shut the door!" She screamed through the lobby, in the elevator, and into the room. Thankfully we splurged and stayed at the Contemporary and Wishes had just started. That caught her attention and put her in a much better mood. It ended up being one of our most favorite trips.

To the OP-once your kids have the experience of the cruise, they will love it. You will have a fantastic trip and that is what counts the most.
lady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #43
scootch
DIS Veteran

Similar thing happened to me with something on a bit of a smaller scale, I got the kids a limo to port from WDW. My girls are 10 and 13 and thought it would be a HUGE fun surprise. They were both like, "i thought we were taking the bus".
~~Nov 2005 Contemporary
~~November 2006 Contemporary Making memories with my 21 year old niece with cancer
Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007
~~November 2007 WL
~~Nov 08 VWL
~~Nov 09 WDW BLT DiscoveryCove SeaWorld and DCL Wonder
~~April 2011 B2B Disney Dream
~~Nov 2011 WDW/BLT
~~Nov 2012 VWL/ Eastern Fantasy
~~ June 2013 DISNEYLAND/CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
~~Feb 2014 Contemporary/ Disney Eastern Fantasy
~~Nov 2014 Disney Grand Floridian Villas
scootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #44
1153rsmith
DIS Veteran

For our first Disney cruise, we had friends of ours surprise them the night before we sailed in front of the Magic Kingdom. I expected histeria. What I got was stunned silence. They had a great time, on the cruise and we have been on one since and have another one booked for 2014, it was just too much for them to take in at one time. (They were 13 and 10).

Like a PP said, youtube would make you think everyone jumps off the couch. Some process much differently.

That being said, I love the photo of the goodies you put together. I am free to be adopted to go. I promise I will act excited.
Senior Trip-off site-April 1985 |Honeymoon -OKW- December 1995 | First Trip with kids - OKW- September 2009 | Trip for DD B-day --AKV- May 2010 | Trip for DS B-Day-OKW-Sept 2011 & 3 Day Disney Dream Cruise | Magic 5 Night Key West-April 2012 | Our First Christmas Party-November 2012 | Mexico cruise on the Wonder-April 2013 | VWL - September 2013 | HHI & BWV for SWW-June 2014
Cast of Characters: DH DW DS (15) DD (12)

1153rsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #45
Paigeanne
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1153rsmith
For our first Disney cruise, we had friends of ours surprise them the night before we sailed in front of the Magic Kingdom. I expected histeria. What I got was stunned silence. They had a great time, on the cruise and we have been on one since and have another one booked for 2014, it was just too much for them to take in at one time. (They were 13 and 10).

Like a PP said, youtube would make you think everyone jumps off the couch. Some process much differently.

That being said, I love the photo of the goodies you put together. I am free to be adopted to go. I promise I will act excited.
I would appreciate that!!! LOL

My 8 y/o is officially pumped. He love science experiments, and one look thru some navigators and he was ON BOARD!! Plus the free ice cream whenever you want it thing didn't hurt. My 5 y/o still has no clue, but the fact that his brother is excited is enough for him to play along :D
Paigeanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: