Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
candfandm
Mouseketeer

Bike riding on Castaway Cay

Is the bike trail on Castaway Cay very easy? Easy enough for a child who just learned to ride a bike to ride it? Wondering also how long it takes to ride at an easy pace round trip.
candfandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by candfandm View Post
Is the bike trail on Castaway Cay very easy? Easy enough for a child who just learned to ride a bike to ride it? Wondering also how long it takes to ride at an easy pace round trip.
Yes, completely flat and you can do as much as you like. I have not ridden a bike in many, many years and loved the bike ride on CC. Had a blast!!! The bikes are very easy and they have small ones for children....even have training wheels if necessary.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
heatherb819
Mouseketeer

It's a lovely ride and you can ride it at your own pace. There are several water stations throughout for a break if you need it. The view from the tower is well worth it!

Disney Magic May 2013 EBTA
Carnival Magic Sept 2012
Carnival Fantasy April 2012
Disney Magic 2011 Transatlantic
Carnival Elation 2010
Disney Magic 2009
Carnival Imagination 2008
Carnival Triumph 2007
RC Majesty of the Seas 2006
heatherb819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
candfandm
Mouseketeer

That sounds great.
Is there somewhere to leave tote bags before the ride? I hate to carry a backpack.
candfandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by candfandm View Post
That sounds great.
Is there somewhere to leave tote bags before the ride? I hate to carry a backpack.
Yes there is. I left our clothes/lotion/towels/etc but took my camera with me. The bike ride is LOTS of fun!! Be sure to stop by the look out tower.

kalc12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
Sparrow78
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37

Yes, completely flat and you can do as much as you like. I have not ridden a bike in many, many years and loved the bike ride on CC. Had a blast!!! The bikes are very easy and they have small ones for children....even have training wheels if necessary.

MJ
For real they have bikes with training wheels? That makes me excited, we wanted to do it but didn't think we could with DD!

Sailing on the Magic again! Jan 25, 2015!

------
8 night Magic Cruise - Jan 18, 2013

Paradise Pier Hotel May 20-26, 2012
WDW August 7-14 2010
2nd DL trip! May 18-25, 2004
1st DL visit... 1 day rushed trip May 2001
Sparrow78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
Lori1960
Mouseketeer

bike ride at cc

Make sure you check the air in the tires before you ride I didnt and didn't ride much cause the air was getting low.Don't depend on the people that work there that they will check the tires
Lori1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
lodge
DIS Veteran

The tower is on the same loop as the 5K, so runners may be going past if you head out early enough. The bikers are so encouraging to runners!
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
Lynne G
DIS Veteran

We enjoyed riding late in the day. We were the only riders most of the time. It is not a hard ride. You can stop wherever you want along the way. As said above, you can get a drink of water at a stop, and there is also stops to take pictures of some things they placed next to the road. With a slower rate, I would say it took about 10 to 15 minutes to go around the loop. It is a one way around. And if you don't mind heights, the tower is fun to climb and we took some nice scenery pictures from the top.

We went at the end of August and I was glad to do at the end of the day, it was really hot!

We loved CC and would ride again. The have basic bikes in all sizes. My dd had no trouble finding one that fit her.
Lynne G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
3Adevas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori1960
Make sure you check the air in the tires before you ride I didnt and didn't ride much cause the air was getting low.Don't depend on the people that work there that they will check the tires
Op is right..didn't seem like employees checked the tires when we rented a couple weeks ago either....I ended up turning around and going back to the rental area where they happily showed us where the air tank was and DH pumped up the tire! We enjoyed our after BBQ buffet ride thoroughly!
Old 12-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow78 View Post
For real they have bikes with training wheels? That makes me excited, we wanted to do it but didn't think we could with DD!
I know! I am so excited about that. I have a 6 year old but he's never been on a bike so he will be so excited!
Old 12-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
tigger24601
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec

I know! I am so excited about that. I have a 6 year old but he's never been on a bike so he will be so excited!
He may be excited but you may not get far. dd 6 couldn't pedal even a tricycle until just a few months ago. Santa brought her a bike and it's slow goings because she's still building up those leg muscles. She actually had physical therapy a when she was 3 because they weren't developing correctly. So she's come a long way but you may want to see if you can borrow a friends bike to have him test it out before you spend the $$ on a rental.
tigger24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #13
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodge View Post
The tower is on the same loop as the 5K, so runners may be going past if you head out early enough. The bikers are so encouraging to runners!
So they *do* allow bikes on the same path as the 5K, during the 5K? Well hubby will be happy if so! He's decided to hold off on the jogging because he hurt himself, but did want to ride a bike along with DS while I run.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #14
Dan29racing
Earning My Ears

DW and I have always talked about riding the bikes. We are cruising in March with 8 month old twins so biking is out. Unless they rent the toddler trailers as well... Anybody know if they do???
Dan29racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #15
fragas55425
Earning My Ears

Child who can't pedal....

Does anyone know if they have adult bikes with either child seats or trailers?

My DS (2) will not be able to pedal but he enjoys when I ride him at home in his child seat.
fragas55425 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: