Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
mickyminnie890
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - That is was all started by a mouse" ~ Walt Disney
 
mickyminnie890's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cinderella's Castle
Posts: 306

How is the room in 08D?

Hello

Before I posted something like this but asking how the inside of the room was. Now I am wondering will there be hallway traffic and busy elevators on this level is on level 5 or 6 don't know for sure yet? Thank you so much for all those who post here.
__________________

WDW - Lost count of how many times I've gone there.
Disney Dream-3/28/14, 6/26/14
mickyminnie890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 2 miles north of the Castle!
Posts: 21,528

Without knowing your actual room number and ship its hard to say. We've had rooms near the elevator lobbies that we expected to be noisy and it turned out that we never heard anything.
__________________
OKW Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
mickyminnie890
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - That is was all started by a mouse" ~ Walt Disney
 
mickyminnie890's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cinderella's Castle
Posts: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Without knowing your actual room number and ship its hard to say. We've had rooms near the elevator lobbies that we expected to be noisy and it turned out that we never heard anything.
How do we know our room #? ( This is my 1st time on any cruise and happy disney will be my first). We are going on the Disney Dream!
__________________

WDW - Lost count of how many times I've gone there.
Disney Dream-3/28/14, 6/26/14
mickyminnie890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!
 
lbgraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 48,791

Did you book a OGT or GTY room? If so, you won't know your room number until 15-30 days before your cruise. It could actually be much closer to the cruise date. There are various locations for these rooms so impossible for anyone to tell you about foot traffic. Decks 5 & 6 are a convenient location IMO in general. A few decks down for dinner and ports, right at the kid clubs, and a few decks up for the pool.
__________________
Lisa

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013



DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,904

We were in cat 8D, 6166 last Nov. It wasn't noisy, despite being close to elevators. The cabin itself it spacious, the largest interior sq footage available without being a suite. FWIW, the interior space of an 8D is the same interior space as a cat 4A-4D but those have additional balcony space.

The 8D has a pull down murphy bed, the round tub with small seat, lots of shelves for shampoo & soap, the rainshower feature besides the regular shower, and a super long desk with lots of storage. Not all have a pull down bunk but the ones that do can sleep 5.

I'll dig up some pics.
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,904

If you've never cruised before, this stateroom may look tiny but to any experienced cruiser,(except for those sailing concierge,) it's very spacious!!




























__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,904

As a comparison, here are our pictures from an earlier cruise in a cat 5B which is a standard size room with verandah. Not including verandah sq footage, the interior space is much smaller than the 8D. This was only a 3nt cruise so we didn't mind but the 8D was a b2b so we spent 7 nts there & appreciated the extra space.

Note the much smaller desk/cabinet configuration and how the sofa ends right at the verandah door. No room for a murphy bed and no separate blue chair.

Have fun planning!!







Standard tub, no rain shower.



__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!
 
lbgraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 48,791

UGH!!! We were in an 8D for the MV and loved it. Will be in a 5C in March and do NOT like the difference in storage space. Glad the next ones are booked in 8Ds again! Thanks for posting the pictures so that we will be prepared for it. Thank goodness we got it at the opening day "glitch" price or we wouldn't be very happy. I guess we will be sticking with cat 8s from now on. There is no comparison for families of 4! I really do not know what I am going to do with all our clothes. There simply is not any room for them with that smaller storage configuration.

ETA: We stayed in 5516 last cruise and will be staying in 6010 on our 2014 cruise. The location was great and very quiet. There are lots of turns to get to the room from the elevators so probably slows people down and blocks the noise from the elevators.
__________________
Lisa

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013



DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads

Last edited by lbgraves; 12-25-2012 at 04:49 PM.
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
JustUs275
Mouseketeer
 
JustUs275's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
We were in cat 8D, 6166 last Nov. It wasn't noisy, despite being close to elevators. The cabin itself it spacious, the largest interior sq footage available without being a suite. FWIW, the interior space of an 8D is the same interior space as a cat 4A-4D but those have additional balcony space.

The 8D has a pull down murphy bed, the round tub with small seat, lots of shelves for shampoo & soap, the rainshower feature besides the regular shower, and a super long desk with lots of storage. Not all have a pull down bunk but the ones that do can sleep 5.

I'll dig up some pics.
Good to know this isn't a noisy location - we have two of the 8D cabins in the same area as yours for our Dream cruise in May. Thanks for posting pics, 2 adults + 1 child per cabin so I think we will have plenty of room
__________________
JustUs275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,904

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
UGH!!! We were in an 8D for the MV and loved it. Will be in a 5C in March and do NOT like the difference in storage space. Glad the next ones are booked in 8Ds again! Thanks for posting the pictures so that we will be prepared for it. Thank goodness we got it at the opening day "glitch" price or we wouldn't be very happy. I guess we will be sticking with cat 8s from now on. There is no comparison for families of 4! I really do not know what I am going to do with all our clothes. There simply is not any room for them with that smaller storage configuration.

ETA: We stayed in 5516 last cruise and will be staying in 6010 on our 2014 cruise. The location was great and very quiet. There are lots of turns to get to the room from the elevators so probably slows people down and blocks the noise from the elevators.
Maybe it's me but I've never found the elevators to be a noisy location. In fact, we intentionally choose to be near stairs/elevators for convenience. Also with our door decorated, it makes it really easy to know we're going in the right direction. Maybe if I had a napping baby I would feel differently. By the time we go to sleep, everywhere is quiet.

I thought the same thing about how to fit so much clothes. We started cruising when our kids were 4 & 7. Back then I could roll up their tiny little shorts and shirts in a small drawer. Now ds16 towers over me. His feet hang past the end of the sofa bed so the murphy bed works better for him. Finding space for everyone's stuff is hard, even with the extra cabinets.
The challenge is that now that they're older and more independent, we really do enjoy & use a verandah. Last April on our 10th DCL cruise, we got our 1st ever upgrade from a 5E to a 4C. That means the large interior space of an 8D plus a verandah. That was just heavenly. So I upgraded our Nov 2012 cruise to a 4D. That's too expensive to cruise that way every time.

Then I read somewhere about someone bringing lots of cheap wire hangers and hanging everyone's clothes up in the closet, saving drawers for just socks, undies, etc. DCL will bring all the wooden hangers you need but they're so thick they take up space themselves.
For Alaska it was so expensive to put 4 in a verandah room, and I was able to snag a secret verandah, so we put the kids in an inside across the hall. It was so nice having 2 closets, 2 TVs, and kids could sleep in real beds, separated into twins. It was awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustUs275 View Post
Good to know this isn't a noisy location - we have two of the 8D cabins in the same area as yours for our Dream cruise in May. Thanks for posting pics, 2 adults + 1 child per cabin so I think we will have plenty of room
Oh yes, if they are connecting cabins & you can leave the doors open a little, it will feel even bigger. Have a great time!
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
mickyminnie890
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - That is was all started by a mouse" ~ Walt Disney
 
mickyminnie890's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cinderella's Castle
Posts: 306

Thank you so much! The pics were great, and I think it looks great just my mom and I, so it should be enough.
__________________

WDW - Lost count of how many times I've gone there.
Disney Dream-3/28/14, 6/26/14
mickyminnie890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.