Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #616
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_Man's Wife View Post
Yes he is in mourning. Anytime i cut my hair he goes into a depression I think. And I can't be subtle when i cut my hair either. It's usually all or nothing. Poor thing. At least I warned him before hand.

I'll see if I can find a decent picture with my hair now. Nebo and Smidgy should have one from when we met up with them as well...which i'm sure will be part of their TR down the line.
I'll watch for it. DH always wants mine long, too. It grows so slowly - it took me 12 years to get it to my mid back one time, and I went in for some layers and she chopped it off to my collar bone! So I've just kept it there since. He is always worried when I say I'm getting a haircut.
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #617
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_Man View Post
Yes. I am still in mourning. Not so much with the color but with the cut. I really do like it long, but she's the one that has to deal with it on a daily basis. I will admit it's cute, but it was cuter longer.

Here's a current pic of Lady H and how her looks like now. Pay no attention to the man to the right. This is from our recent trip to WDW. We stopped to say hi to ourselves.

And there it is! You both look mah-va-lous! Heather, I like it short too so you have my approval either way! DS is there somewhere with DDIL from their honeymoon. We always have to look them up, too!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #618
nowellsl
my car finds out everytime I have money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_Man View Post

Sorry TMan - I like it short too! The color is really nice! I bet it's a lot easier to take care of.
nowellsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #619
Thumper_Man
DDC 684
Do we go left or to the second start on the right, straight on til morning?

Trying to Escape the Heat. Still Cursed.

"That's my only goal. Surround myself with funny people, and make sure everyone has a good time and works hard." (Joe Rogan)

After winning the Piston Cup and cruising through CL, we make our way back towards the entrance. We want to get a locker to store our backpacks in. My back needs air from the heat of the day. Carrying a backpack is making my back sweat even more than what it normally would and I can feel it running down my back. No its not walking down or even trickling down. It’s literally running down my back. Our bags are a little lighter now because we both finished the 3 bottles of water each of us brought with us. We didn’t want to be like our friend Nebo and take a dive. Of course at the time we didn’t know of his major accident. We just knew that we needed to keep hydrated ourselves.

On our way to the lockers, we pass Lady H’s favorite ride. Do do do do, do do do do. Yes the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. Only a 5 minute wait. I guess getting a locker will have to wait 10 more minutes then. Now I’ve heard the ToT is better here. Personally, I didn’t notice too many differences at all, but here is what I did notice.

For starters, the outside is different.

ToT over at DHS.

ToT over at DCA.

Notice over at DHS, the name “Hollywood Tower” is spelled out all the way across as to where at DCA “Hollywood” is above “Tower.” There is a difference in color and over at DCA, the tower seems to be set more towards the back as to where the tower is more towards the front at DHS. Next difference is the queue’s. Over at DCA, depending on how long the line is, you seem to enter directly in front. This gave it the feeling that you were actually walking into a hotel. Over at DHS, the entrance is more to the side. Next difference in the queue’s is the lobby. It seems you get a little bit better view of the entire lobby at DCA than you do at DHS. Get to see more of the props they use. At least that’s the sense I got. Back to DCA, they have 2 rooms they use to see the video. One to each side of the desk. There’s a CM there to direct you as to which one you will go in. I only recall DHS having one room to watch the video. Just having visited DHS again, I looked to see if there is more than one room used. Nope. Still only use one room off to the right. The video is pretty much the same video. At least they remembered to put the right ToT for each location in the video. Can you imagine seeing the DHS ToT over at DCA and vice-versa. I wonder if anyone would even snap if they put the wrong ToT? After the video, it’s pretty much the same. You exit out into a boiler room and wait. Well we didn’t have much of wait. We waited all of 2 minutes for our turn.

Now I really gotta give it to the CM that plays the elevator attendant. He really got into character. Of course he starts by having people take their seats by their assigned numbers. Once we were in our seats, he asked in a low, who cares tone of voice “raise your hand if this is your first time riding? No one. You all came back? Did you not learn the first time? I pity all of you,” and gave his best fake smile. Next he tells us “I need you all to tug on the yellow rope connected to your seat belt, just in case there’s a sudden drop in the elevator. We don’t want bodies flying everywhere because there’s a hole in the corner, and we had a hard time cleaning up the last set of bodies” as he points to the lady sitting in the corner seat; afterwards telling her “Good Luck.” Next he points to me and Lady H, and asks us “Would you like me to show your bags to your room?” I tell him “sure” to which he replies “I bet you would. If you want to see your bags again, you best find a way to hold on to them.” After he’s done with all the safety checks, the CM tells us “Welcome to the Hollywood Hotel. Enjoy your fright, I mean your night” does his best evil laugh, steps out and closes the doors.

Now as far as the ride itself, it’s exactly the same. You travel through the dark and see the video of the ghostly figures, exactly what happened that made them disappear and then. Wait for it. The doors to see outside open and you drop. You thank God for the seatbelt as you’re going down, as you feel yourself coming out of your seat. The ride reverses directions and now you’re going up, gravity sits you back down. This up and down action can get a little rough on the rear end. Hmm. That didn’t sound right. Flying by the seat of your pants can be a real pain. The fun part was Lady H and I trying to hold onto our bags. We put our feet through the straps, but that still wasn’t enough to keep them in place. I think we finally had to step on our bags to keep them from going all over the place. That was real hard to do when the ride would go down and our feet would leave the floor. After about 3-4 minutes of going up and down, the ride comes to a stop. Who better to greet us then the elevator attendant. “You all survived, yippee. Please exit one row at a time and take no offense when I say, please don’t come back.” The CM sure made it fun and we had a blast on the ride as always.

Once we get back outside, we forgot just how hot it was getting already. We almost turned around and went on the ride again. Just because it was nice and air-conditioned. Finally we make our way to the front and get a locker. Storing my bag may help keep my back a little cooler. With bags securely locked away, Lady H asks “where to next?” I only had to say one word “Well.” I probably didn’t even need to say that. I could’ve given my best Cheshire grin and she would know what that meant. “Every adventure requires a first step. Trite, but true, even here.” (Cheshire Cat) On to that monstrosity of a ride they call California Screamin’. You remember it don’t you. This not so bad boy.

Lady H told me “I should’ve known” and off we head to Paradise Pier. In my defense I tell her “TSM is there as well. I want a shot at the title.” All I got was the look. You know the look, all woman have it. The slight head nod and the word “Sure.” We get to Paradise Pier and to my horror. “NNNOOOOOO!!!!!!!” It can’t be. Do you know how long I waited to ride this thing?” Yup, it was closed. How can they close California Screamin’? Don’t they know how far I traveled just to come and ride that coaster? Hopefully it will be open later. Now what? Well I guess we’ll move on to TSM.

STRIKE 2. TSM is also closed. I hoping we don’t get a 3rd strike. You know what happens on Strike 3. You’re out. You must do the walk of shame back to the dugout. In this case, you must head straight to park entrance to the exit gates. Do not pass go and please leave us another $200. No wonder it didn’t seem too crowded over here. All the good rides are closed. Only thing we can think of is they’re closed down because of the heat.

As we come to the end of Paradise Pier, we decide to skip Goofy’s Flight school and replenish our fluids. Ok, I know you’re all probably wondering, what is Goofy’s flight school. It would be DCA’s version of AK’s Primeval Whirl. Since Cal Screamin’ and TSM were both down, the other rides were picking up the slackers and ride times were getting pretty high. I don’t know what they were smoking, but they said we would have to wait 30-40 minutes if we wanted to ride.

We stop at the first watering hole we found the day we went on our recon mission. We grab a beer just as Phineas & Ferb come out to perform.

We follow them down because they are clearing the way in their truck. As we are following them I remember we need FP’s for World of Color. We are right next to the viewing area so we might as well get FP’s right away. We head down to the viewing area and on the way down, Goofy is conducting a water show to music. A prelude to World of Color. We stop to watch the ending of the show before heading down to see if we can find the FP machines. We didn’t find them anywhere up top, so we figured they might be where he was conducting. Once the show is over, we head down the steps as Goofy comes up. We give each other a high five as we pass each other. Job well done. We get to the spot where Goofy was performing and still can’t find the FP machines. Time to track down a CM and ask. Remember, they were out of English maps when we first walked in. We finally come across one of the CM’s responsible for keeping the park clean and ask him for a map. I’ve learned in the past that these CM’s always carry them. We told him they were out of the English maps up front, and yo no hablo espanol muy bueno, much less able to read it. Plus there was no way am I going to even attempt to translate French, Portuguese, Chinese or even Japanese. Heck, my smartphone isn’t even smart enough to translate these languages. He couldn’t believe they were out up front and luckily he had one left to give. He was also kind enough to point us in the direction of the FP machines. Man we were far off. We were kinda close to the machines, but they were in a place we would’ve never thought of.

On our way to find the FP machines, we spot a little bar off to the side of the Wine Country Trattoria. Yes, we already finished the first beer. It’s now getting close to noon and the temp is up to 96 degrees now.

Now I believe it was Queenbetsey who asked if we found her favorite bar. It’s called the Alfresco Lounge. If this is the same bar she’s referring to, then yes, we found it: and it became our favorite bar as well.

As we passed this bar, we thought at first it sold only wine. Little to our surprise they sold not only wine, but beer as well. BOTTLED BEER. Every other place at DCA seemed to sell beer on tap. You can see them bottles chilling in the chillers, and they were calling our names. At first we tried to walk through WCT to get to the bar, but came to a dead end. Seems the way up to this bar is through a short set of stairs to the right. Once we find the stairs and make it to the bar, there are only 2 people in line ahead of us. You don’t get to drink the beer from the bottle itself. The bartender pours it into a cup for you. Too many husbands have probably been bashed over the heads with the bottles, so they probably figured this was a tad bit safer for them.

With cold beer in hand, we head towards Soarin’ by way of Grizzly River Rapids. On our way we spot the entrance to DCA from GC. I wonder if we’re allowed to go in and out of this entrance as well. Or is it only for guests staying at the hotel. We go and ask a CM if we’re allowed and she tells us yes. Just as long as we get branded with the hand stamp and have our park tickets.

Great. We still need to go back and get the postcard we saw for Ponzi in the gift shop. We saw it while we were doing our resort tour. Plus we’ll need international postage to mail it to. We can come back later and buy the card, and see if they sell the postage. After we find out this useful information, we continue on our way.

All the DL fans are probably screaming at me through their computers right about now.
“Turn back you idiots. Oh man, I can’t believe they already forgot. What a space case. The beer and heat must be getting to their brains already.”

You see, the CM told us the place to get WoC FP’s is by the GRR FP machines. Half are devoted to GRR and the other half to WoC. Since I was more interested in keeping hydrated, I completely spaced the FP for WoC. Plus, if we would’ve had the park map earlier, it states on there where to find them.

So after absently minding forgetting to get WoC FP’s, we make it to Soarin’.

As we walk into Condor Flats, Minnie Mouse and some hotties; oh um, I mean some lady dancers dressed up as stewardesses are performing. We stop and check them out (well ok, so I was the one checking them out) for little bit before checking out the lines at Soarin’. It’s only a 25 minute wait here. Yup, that’s right. Only 25 minutes. Not the 60+ that you would normally see at WDW. We decide since we still have to finish our beer, to just get a FP for it and start scoping the area for something to eat. Either the heat, beer or combination of both has me feeling a little light headed. We went inside Taste of Pilot’s Grill. CS restaurant right next to Soarin’. It was nice and cool in here. We stood there for about 5 minutes looking over the menu. It wasn’t too busy at the moment, so we decided it we find something that interests us, we’ll get a bite to eat right away. Besides, even if we don’t ride Soarin’ now, we can always use our FP later. They’re not enforcing the return times here yet like they are over at WDW.

After staring at the menu, nothing sounded good to us at the moment. So we went back outside and found a couple of seats in the shade and finished our beers. Our FP time came up fast and soon we were off to fly over California.

Which I find a little ironic. Over at Epcot, which we all know is in Florida, you fly over California. Don’t you think it should be the opposite for DCA? Shouldn’t we be flying over Florida instead? Which brings me to my next comparison.

Again, other than the queue being a little different, it’s the exact same ride. I gotta say that I was a little disappointed with DCA’s version though. More with the quality of the video. There was a lot of distortion in the video. Both Lady H and I recognized it. There were times in the video that it looked like you were flying with a flock of birds. Something we thought we missed the first time we rode it in Epcot. Then there they were again, skiing. Talented birds. Whoops, they just disappeared. Oh there they are. This distortion was distracting and really ruined the ride for us. Needless to say, this was the only time we would ride Soarin’.

As we got out of Soarin’, we heard some people mention they need to get their WoC FP’s. Oh yeah. Already forgot those once, don’t want to forget those again. Our luck is changing. We found the WoC FP machine. On a hot day like today, we also debated on whether or not we should go on GRR. It sure would be nice to get wet and cool off right about now. I think we still have the Curse of the Mummy with us. Brought it back with us from USH.

Looks refreshing don't it.

Only problem is, the wait time is 60 minutes and we just got a FP for WoC. What we didn’t know at the time is, we could’ve gotten a FP for GRR as well. WoC FP’s don’t count towards your FP collection. We discovered this later on in the trip. Now would be good time to go back to GC to get out of the heat.

Since we had already did our recon mission, finding our way around GC was little easier this time. So we thought. Once you come from the DCA entrance, you have to walk an eternity to get the gift shop. Good thing is, the front lobby isn’t too far from there. Which is where we would inquire about getting postage. As we approach the guest services desk, there is only one CM working at the podium. He’s a new CM. How do I know this? There was a lady in front of me that kept going on about something. For the likes of me I can’t remember what, but I give it to the CM. He did his best to answer her questions, because she was ranting and raving about something. After about 5 minutes he finally told her he would get someone else to try and help her because he was still fairly new. Now my issue was simple, all I needed as International Postage to send my friend up north, (the one who lives in Canada, who’s Nebo’s favorite and didn’t send us a postcard when he went to Hawaii) a postcard that we went out of our way to get.

The CM tells us we need to go 3 miles down the hall and we can get it there. Well it seemed like 3 miles anyways. On the way to the business center we pass the mailbox and I tell Lady H “mark this spot on your phone’s gps. We made need it to find our way back here after we find the business center.”

We find the business center and ask the nice lady if she has any international postage to sell. We’re in luck, she does. This time we still have cash and we pay her for the postage. After we hand her the money, she disappears. Oh no. Deja Vu all over again. The last time we handed someone money for postage, we didn’t see the guy for an hour. I was hoping for complimentary room because the guy took so long to come back. But this lady was good. She was back in 2 minutes with our correct change.

Here’s your postcard Ponzi. You owe us one.

And with this, I’ll call it a day. Short work day today. I'm the lone worker today in our division. The price I have to pay for wanting to go to WDW. And you know what, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I would do it again in a heart beat. I should be able to wrap up this day in the next chapter. The I’ll turn it back over to Lady H so she can tell you about Sea World.

Thanks again everyone for sticking it out with us in this long, drawn out TR.

Last edited by Thumper_Man; 12-24-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Thumper_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #620
Thumper_Man
DDC 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowellsl View Post
Sorry TMan - I like it short too! The color is really nice! I bet it's a lot easier to take care of.
Never said I don't like it short, I think it's cute to. I just prefer it to be a little longer.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #621
smidgy
dimples

it's so weird reading about your comings and goings, criss-crossig, and having NO idea what you are talking about. Iknow we will feel like fish out of water at DL and CA. not know our way around?

it's funny how easy it is to get distracted...squirrel!... you go for FP for WOc, then totally forget! I guess that beer was calling your name!!

merry Christmas, by the way!!!! sorry you have to work on Christmas eve. we did the family thing today.. tomorrow I work.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #622
Thumper_Man
DDC 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
it's so weird reading about your comings and goings, criss-crossig, and having NO idea what you are talking about. Iknow we will feel like fish out of water at DL and CA. not know our way around?
I think you'll be fine. The lay out of DL is pretty close to that of MK. DCA isn't too bad either.

Quote:
I guess that beer was calling your name!!
It was and it wasn't even noon yet. I don't think.

Quote:
merry Christmas, by the way!!!! sorry you have to work on Christmas eve. we did the family thing today.. tomorrow I work.
Work wasnt' bad. Being the only one there, I had time to post a new chapter obviously. Helped make my time fly by. So sorry you have to work tomorrow. We're both off tomorrow, so we're doing our family things tomorrow.

Merry Christmas to you and Nebo as well.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #623
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Had to come over here too (even though I'm embarrassed to say that I'm way, waaaaay behind) to say...

Merry Christmas Mike and Heather!!!

OH, by the way...

When I clicked over here, I saw the picture of Mrs. T with short hair...
I'm partial to longer hair, but, dang... Mrs. T, you're hot!

It's a compliment T-Man, no need to come marching up here and beat me up.

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #624
Thumper_Man's Wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkondz
Had to come over here too (even though I'm embarrassed to say that I'm way, waaaaay behind) to say...

Merry Christmas Mike and Heather!!!

OH, by the way...

When I clicked over here, I saw the picture of Mrs. T with short hair...
I'm partial to longer hair, but, dang... Mrs. T, you're hot!

It's a compliment T-Man, no need to come marching up here and beat me up.
Thank you. I'm typing on my phone and can't get to the smilies but if I could I would have a huge blushing smiley right here. I appreciate that compliment though. I now know why T-Man left...he's probably half way to canada by now haha.

Merry Christmas to you and your family Ponzi.

Thumping Our Way Through Disneyland

We Hopped All The Way To Disneyland Just For Some Dis Meets
Thumper_Man's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #625
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_Man's Wife View Post
I now know why T-Man left...he's probably half way to canada by now haha.
oh, oh...

ponzi T-Man

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #626
smidgy
dimples

merry merry Christmas!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #627
nebo
sharkbait
Uh oh, this conversation isn't going as planned
All of you are welcome to come along

We decide since we still have to finish our beer, to just get a FP for it and start scoping the area for something to eat. Either the heat, beer or combination of both has me feeling a little light headed. We went inside Taste of Pilot’s Grill.

Pontius Pilot has his own restaurant? What, does DCA stand for Disney's Calvary Adventure?

Oh there they are. This distortion was distracting and really ruined the ride for us. Needless to say, this was the only time we would ride Soarin’.

I think teh version at Epcot is ALSO losing it's clarity, A LOT, I won't wait for it anymore if it's not just about a walk on.

Thanks again everyone for sticking it out with us in this long, drawn out TR.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thanks Mike,,,, and,, hmm, I just noticed that half my post is missing. grr.
nebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #628
dwheatl
DIS Veteran
Can you tell I'm a dyed-in-the lime-green-wool DL fan?

Just got caught up. Christmas and everything had me running around like crazy. Love your updates.
I hate when you forget something like FPs or march around DCA only to find rides closed. There's not really a hub, so you feel like you have to walk for an eternity if you ever want to go back. It was even worse when they were doing construction, because they had you file through a maze to get most places.

I felt the other way about Soarin'. Since it highlights CA when you are in CA, we hoped the FL one would highlight FL, or maybe the whole US of A, like the old "America the Beautiful" 360. No such luck.
WDW trips1985 Newlyweds offsite 1987 With MIL offsite 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006 WDW Dolphin 2012 - Art of Animation
dwheatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #629
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebo;47006111
[B
I think teh version at Epcot is ALSO losing it's clarity, A LOT, I won't wait for it anymore if it's not just about a walk on.[/B]
.[/B]
see how he is? to me, I consider this a "thrill " ride, one I actually will go on. (nebo says it borders between relaxing and boring). so, I find a ride that's kinda scary to me, but I'll, do it, and I like it...so.. he won't wait for it anymore.!!!

harrumph...!!!maybe I won't wait for TOT or arrowsmith anymore, since I don't go on it anyway sigh, he should have married a thrill junkie. or at least one that will "bite the bullet", all the while saying "dumb wife, dumb wife"
Old 12-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #630
Thumper_Man
DDC 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebo View Post
What, does DCA stand for Disney's Calvary Adventure?
Diane's
Childish
Adult

Disboards
Chicago
Author

Ok, ok. I mentioned it at the beginning. You were close. Here's the real meaning.
Disney's
California
Adventure

Quote:
I think teh version at Epcot is ALSO losing it's clarity, A LOT, I won't wait for it anymore if it's not just about a walk on.
You know we got a FP for this ride. The day we drank around the world. We never did use them. I think we're starting to feel the same way about this ride.

Quote:
Yeah, thanks Mike,,,, and,, hmm, I just noticed that half my post is missing. grr.
I thought you were just trying to keep it short and simple.
Now get back to work, inquiring minds want to know what else you wrote. And if they don't, well at least I do.

Tags
disneyland trip 2012

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: