Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
wurtie
Mouseketeer

Need suggestions for hotels near port and other forms of transportation

We currently have a night at the Hyatt (MCO) booked the night before our cruise and are taking Disney transportation from MCO to the port. Due to the recent check in changes at the airport, we are seriously considering changing these plans. We are thinking of staying at a hotel near the port the night before our cruise now? What is the best way (cheapest) for us to get there from the airport? And what are some good hotel choices? We are going to Disney after the cruise, but would like to keep Disney transportation for this portion of the trip. Is this possible?
wurtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurtie View Post
We currently have a night at the Hyatt (MCO) booked the night before our cruise and are taking Disney transportation from MCO to the port. Due to the recent check in changes at the airport, we are seriously considering changing these plans. We are thinking of staying at a hotel near the port the night before our cruise now? What is the best way (cheapest) for us to get there from the airport? And what are some good hotel choices? We are going to Disney after the cruise, but would like to keep Disney transportation for this portion of the trip. Is this possible?
You can do a one-way DCL cruise transfer after the cruise.

Cheapest way to get to the port would be to rent a car.

Country Inn & Suites, and the Marriott Resident Inn are close to the port, tho not on the beach.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Tara619
Mouseketeer

I'm no expert, but we booked a room at the Country Inn & Suites the night before. We're renting a car from MCO one- way from Hertz with a AAA rate and will turn it in the morning of the cruise. DH will probably drop DS and I and the luggage off at the port while he returns the car and takes the shuttle to port. This is for a June cruise.

June 27-July 4, 2015 Disney Fantasy
June 22-29, 2013 Disney Fantasy
June 9-15, 2009 All Star Movies
April 10-17, 2004 Disney Magic
May 30-June 2, 2002 Disney Wonder
Tara619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Illini_Fan
Mouseketeer

We do the rental car approach - I'm happy with anything around $40 for the one-way from MCO to port. Return rental car rates seems to be about 10% cheaper, I assume that is due to the facilitates charge from MCO that gets added to rentals the originate there.

Since I'm a Starwood points person, we stay at the 4pts and use points to cover the cost. The hotel isn't wonderful, but it isn't bad either. Perfectly fine for a mid-afternoon check-in and departure the next morning.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Our choices depend on what time we get in....

Options--stay at a hotel near MCO. Our favorite for this is the Hyatt Place NW (different from Hyatt MCO). THey offer a package with hotel stay, breakfast, and round trip cruise transportation. We paid $121, but I've checked some other dates and seen it as high as $189. Recently they split the prices--transportation for2 is less than transportation for 4. Still, compared with DCL ($70 per person), this is a good value. Transportation to/from MCO is also included. They Wyngate has a similar but more expensive package. Hyatt Place NW is across the street from a TGI Friday's for dinner...and their shuttle driver offered to take us elsewhere if he wasn't busy on airport runs. It is 5 minutes from the airport.

Stay at a hotel near the port--Residence Inn, Comfort Inn and Suites, and Radisson are the closest. They offer different combinations of breakfast included, shuttle to port included or not, etc. Obviously, you need a way to get there. As above, car rental using a code from rentalcodes.com or mousesavers.com is the cheapest. In the morning, driver can drop luggage and passengers at the terminal and return car (free shuttle back to terminal) or you can keep the gang together and all ride the car place shuttle. Budget and Hertz are closest to these hotels. Another option is a car service--there are MANY. Problem is that this doesn't give you morning transportation, so you are back to the hotel shuttle.

I don't like to drive at night, so if we arrive after dinner time, I tend to stay near the airport. If we arrive sooner, we might stay near the port or WDW.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post

Options--stay at a hotel near MCO. Our favorite for this is the Hyatt Place NW (different from Hyatt MCO). THey offer a package with hotel stay, breakfast, and round trip cruise transportation. We paid $121, but I've checked some other dates and seen it as high as $189. Recently they split the prices--transportation for2 is less than transportation for 4. Still, compared with DCL ($70 per person), this is a good value. Transportation to/from MCO is also included. They Wyngate has a similar but more expensive package. Hyatt Place NW is across the street from a TGI Friday's for dinner...and their shuttle driver offered to take us elsewhere if he wasn't busy on airport runs. It is 5 minutes from the airport.
Thank you for this idea! I looked and for Mom and I in April it's $194 for 2. That with the flight that I found a nice deal on ($327 round trip from Seattle to Orlando) it ends up being a lot less than Disney. And now if I have to check in at port compared to the airport (which I loved. It made me feel so... ahhh), I want to save money and hey breakfast!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: