Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
LovesTimone
DIS Veteran

Question CBR - Was this a upgrade? or what?

We have some friends that are a disney now and they book for a reg. standard room (Nemo), She email that they were given a pirate room, their trip is paid for so no extra charge. She did say she told the cast member that she would love a pirate room ... she was hoping for some pixie dust. The cast member said you booked a standard room and this is what we have for you for, you can pay more to be closer to the main pool if you like she said no whatever is fine. and sure enough when they went to the room it was a pirate room,.

Does that happen often, and upgrade to a different room, or is a pirate room and a nemo the same rate? I am confused as I just book a reg standard (nemo -which was alot less then the pirate room) for my mom and I for her birthday, but I would really love a pirate room, I know she will love either,,...

Anyone else this has happened to??? Just wonderin'
LovesTimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

The pirate rooms are definitely an upgrade at CBR. They cost a bit more than the standard rooms.

creativeamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

It's an upgrade in terms of getting more than what you paid for. But I would never ever ever expect an upgrade.

That said, it's a downgrade in terms of how far away from food, etc, you are when in a pirate room.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I would say it is a downgrade in some terms. Themed rooms at the mods are done to deal with some of the most remote rooms in the complexes. However, the room category does cost more than a standard room. So they did get an upgrade of sorts.

This is the case with the pirate rooms at CBR and some of the RR's at POR in Parterre Place, where themed rooms are in the most remote buildings that people never request for the most part.

In addition, my problem with CBR is that the site layout is extremely elongated and many rooms are far from the perimeter bus stops. You have to walk across a parking lot surface in the sun, rain, etc. With no coverage. I stayed there my first year.

I moved to POR the next year and have stayed there ever since. The layout is much more round in shape and rooms are a lot closer to a bus stop. In addition, once you walk the sidewalk to the respective buildings, you can duck under the building with the corridor above to protect you from the elements to get around to your room.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot
It's an upgrade in terms of getting more than what you paid for. But I would never ever ever expect an upgrade.
The question will get asked in a million different ways, but it will still get asked about how to get an upgrade.

And for us veterans, we will say the same thing you said, never expect it.

It is done when it is advantageous to the resort. Asking for one would be the last way to get it; they will quote the price to upgrade.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #6
Lil' Grumpy
Lil' Grumpy is really a Big Sweetie

not that it matter, but i believe if they felt more special &
the room met their needs than the other, they were
in~deeds given extra-special

oh, merry christmas eve!
Old 12-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
LovesTimone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
The question will get asked in a million different ways, but it will still get asked about how to get an upgrade.

And for us veterans, we will say the same thing you said, never expect it.

It is done when it is advantageous to the resort. Asking for one would be the last way to get it; they will quote the price to upgrade.

I have to agree this is what I thought that it was better for the resort. My friends are super happy and I told her she got some pixie dust. Which island nation are the pirate rooms located?
LovesTimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

Trinidad South
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

I can't say I've stayed in one of CBR's themed rooms I know where they're located and would definitely consider them a downgrade. You would have to take a bus to Old Port Royale where the food, gift shop, and main pool are located. I'd recommend requesting Aruba or Jamaica where OPR is only a short walk across the lake.
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyindisney View Post
I can't say I've stayed in one of CBR's themed rooms I know where they're located and would definitely consider them a downgrade. You would have to take a bus to Old Port Royale where the food, gift shop, and main pool are located. I'd recommend requesting Aruba or Jamaica where OPR is only a short walk across the lake.
Not necessarily. Unless you, or someone in your party, has major mobility issues it is not necessary to take the internal bus from Trinidad South to OPR and the main pool. It is under 10 minutes to make the walk from the fartherst point of Trinidad South to OPR. I know this because neighbors of our were going to be staying in a Pirate Room the week after we got home and were concerned with the walk. So on our resort day I strolled over the Trinidad South and strolled back. With stopping and taking picutures along the way, it was between 9-10 minutes. It's a lovely walk too. After they got home they couldn't believe how many people complain about how far the Pirate Rooms are.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyindisney View Post
We've stayed in Trinidad South (before it was pirate themed) and we didn't take a bus to get to OPR. I wouldn't like to stay in TS now because the pirate theme doesn't appeal to me at all.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
Not necessarily. Unless you, or someone in your party, has major mobility issues it is not necessary to take the internal bus from Trinidad South to OPR and the main pool. It is under 10 minutes to make the walk from the fartherst point of Trinidad South to OPR. I know this because neighbors of our were going to be staying in a Pirate Room the week after we got home and were concerned with the walk. So on our resort day I strolled over the Trinidad South and strolled back. With stopping and taking picutures along the way, it was between 9-10 minutes. It's a lovely walk too. After they got home they couldn't believe how many people complain about how far the Pirate Rooms are.
You're correct. I suppose it was a bit bias of me not to admit you can walk, and its not completely unreasonable. However, in my experience travelling from one 'island' bus stop to another, it was about a ten minute walk if you walked on the side of the road. Of course, there are most certainly sidewalks which are your safest and most scenic bet. For me, time is money in Disney, and I would much rather stay somewhere closer. Someone who enjoys a good scenic stroll, particularly around the lake area, may enjoy being further away.

Of course, if you're dying for a pirate room don't let talk of long distances deter you!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: