Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #31
bom_noite
DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 3rd Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
There are a lot more people who support avatar than you think. Remember protesters are always the loudest.
Count me in on the Protesters. But, I am not anti Avatar, I am anti location. Expand Studios with Carsland and Avatar. Someone on one of the Avatar rumor posts suggested that that land should be used for an Australia land - how great would that be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Understand that once Walt died, the company was no longer as financially stable as it had been in the fifties/sixties. The seventies/eighties were a scary time, with the theatrical movies mostly being not the moneymakers they were under Walt. There was no way they were going to invest in a "City of the Future". I think what they came up with is a wonderful park that has since been poorly maintained/updated.
Good comments, Pete. I agree / disagree:
  • Is true Disney did not have the financial power once the two brothers died.
  • The new Management (Card Walker et al) were not creative guys and had no idea how to move the company forward. As has been documented in many books they said: "What Would Walt Do?". Well, Walt liked to think out of the box - not do the same thing twice!
  • I agree the company was dying at the box-office in the 70's / 80's. While the industry was revitalized by a number of ground-breaking releases. Disney chose to make: Herbie Rides Again, Herbie Go's to Monte Carlo and Herbie Go's Banana's. Their one critical success, Splash, was almost rejected by management as too risque.
  • Walt bought all that Florida land so that he was not surrounded by hotels/restaurants as he was in Anaheim. What happened? It took 10 years for the company to build a new hotel on their property.
  • As dumb as management was at that time, even the creative people tried to talk Walt out of his version of Epcot. It was a personal social experiment and not a money generating tool. No corporations (though they were approached) were willing to sign-on. Only Walt would have had the power to get it built.
  • Even though Eisner turned in to Napoleon in the last 10 years of his reign, you have got to thank him for all of the expansion in Orlando. All the resorts, DVC, DTD expansion, Studio's, AK, etc. Simply put, he developed the creative model that will guide the company for years to come.
  • I agree fully that Epcot has been poorly maintained/updated. After visiting there last week I was almost disgusted. Other then Soarin', what have they done? Test Track? Chevy paid the freight for that!

Last edited by bom_noite; 12-23-2012 at 03:27 PM.
bom_noite is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: