Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Halloween on the ships

I was wondering if anyone has sailed over Halloween. I would like to know if they do anything special, if people wear costumes and if kids can go trick or treating? Thanks
Polynesian 2008, Carribean Beach 2010, 2011, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2010, Dream (March 2011), Wilderness Lodge, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Food/Wine Festival 2011, Magic-NY to Canada June 2012, Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean August 2012, Wonder-Alaska July/Aug 2013, Dream- Bahamas September 2013.
Never to old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

http://holidaytripper.com/disney-new...halloween-fun/
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
gilsan
DIS Veteran

We were on the Fantasy over Halloween. If you a looking for a great Halloween experience with lots of Halloween events you will be disappointed. If you are looking to just add a little something extra to your cruise you will enjoy it.

People do dress up, but there was no trick or treating. A small bag of candy was left in the room for each child. The bags are the same ones they hand out at MNSSHP and they were less than half full.

We had planned a scavenger hunt event in our cruise meet so the kids had tonnes of candy, the members did an amazing job making it up.

I would not go out of my way to do a Halloween cruise again. The Halloween events were not worth it.

Here is the schedule from that day.

2009 POFQ, 2010 Grand Floridian, 2011 Wilderness Lodge, 2012 BC/Dream Cruise/Poly, 2012 Halloween Fantasy Cruise, 2013 AKV, 2014 SSR/Eastbound Transatlantic Cruise2015 Eastbound Transatlantic Mmmm....Cake, 9 nights of Deluxe Dining w/Pictures
gilsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
jahber
DIS Veteran

Our Halloween cruise this year on the Dream was the sailing after Sandy. We had to switch CC days and the sea day, so Halloween ended up being on the CC day instead of the sea day. This was not ideal, as the kids had planned to be in costume all day. I imagine there would have been more opportunities for character pics and Halloween themed activities if it had been a sea day (it was the actual day of Halloween).

I agree with the PP, there was no trick-or-treating and the bag of candy was tiny (which I actually appreciated!). But we brought our trick-or-treat bags to breakfast and the kids loaded up on the candy displayed at the entrance. Breakfast candy! I think the cruise was worth it for them just for that.

Cabanas was decorated with spider webs, spiders, and other decorations. Plus there were tons of carved pumpkins. My kids really enjoyed exploring and finding them. The atrium also had orange and black bunting on the railings.

There was a party/parade before dinner, which was crowded like the pirate party. My kids ( 8 and 5) and I aren't "show people," so they kept asking when the parade was. The parade was a line of people pushing through the masses up the stairs next to the stage, around deck 12 in front of the AquaDuck, and back around to the stage on deck 11. Not really a parade. But they had cameras and MCs pointing out people's costumes. My daughter (an astronaut) was on Funnelvision twice. Actually, THAT was the highlight of her cruise. It was so crowded, we left after the kids were on Funnelvision. I will note that there were two characters in their Halloween costumes in the crowd taking pictures. I want to say it was mummy goofy and maybe Pluto?

We sailed on the most amazing FL resident rate I've ever come across. We just couldn't not do it. Plus, it happened to be a week when our usual activities were canceled. But I will tell you that my 8yo cried when we told her she'd miss Halloween at home. The cruise was a surprise, and I had a feeling that would happen (but like I said, everything else worked out perfectly). She was really looking forward to trick-or-treating with her cousins. She made me promise not to schedule another surprise Halloween cruise next year. . Personally, I would rather be on a cruise any day! And I suspect in a couple of years she'll feel the same.

So all that said, I would weigh how important Halloween is to your family. If trick-or-treating is the be-all, end-all of Halloween for your family, a cruise may not cut it. HTH!
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
gilsan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
But I will tell you that my 8yo cried when we told her she'd miss Halloween at home. The cruise was a surprise, and I had a feeling that would happen (but like I said, everything else worked out perfectly). She was really looking forward to trick-or-treating with her cousins. She made me promise not to schedule another surprise Halloween cruise next year. .
My daughter (7) said it was the worst Halloween ever The Fantasy celebrated Halloween on Oct 30 instead of the 31st.

We did love the cruise, but wouldn't plan on doing another one on Halloween.

2009 POFQ, 2010 Grand Floridian, 2011 Wilderness Lodge, 2012 BC/Dream Cruise/Poly, 2012 Halloween Fantasy Cruise, 2013 AKV, 2014 SSR/Eastbound Transatlantic Cruise2015 Eastbound Transatlantic Mmmm....Cake, 9 nights of Deluxe Dining w/Pictures
gilsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilsan
We were on the Fantasy over Halloween. If you a looking for a great Halloween experience with lots of Halloween events you will be disappointed. If you are looking to just add a little something extra to your cruise you will enjoy it.

People do dress up, but there was no trick or treating. A small bag of candy was left in the room for each child. The bags are the same ones they hand out at MNSSHP and they were less than half full.

We had planned a scavenger hunt event in our cruise meet so the kids had tonnes of candy, the members did an amazing job making it up.

I would not go out of my way to do a Halloween cruise again. The Halloween events were not worth it.

Here is the schedule from that day.
Can you tell me more about the scavenger hunt? Sounds like fun!
Polynesian 2008, Carribean Beach 2010, 2011, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2010, Dream (March 2011), Wilderness Lodge, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Food/Wine Festival 2011, Magic-NY to Canada June 2012, Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean August 2012, Wonder-Alaska July/Aug 2013, Dream- Bahamas September 2013.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all of the personal reflections on your trips. I am not sure if they will do anything special since the cruise actually sails on Halloween. I am kinda nervous about the kids possibly missing trick or treat night. I think it will have to be a family decision weighing the pros and cons. Now this could be the deciding factor for me. Does anyone remember what the water temperature was like at Cast away?
Old 12-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never to old
Thanks for all of the personal reflections on your trips. I am not sure if they will do anything special since the cruise actually sails on Halloween. I am kinda nervous about the kids possibly missing trick or treat night. I think it will have to be a family decision weighing the pros and cons. Now this could be the deciding factor for me. Does anyone remember what the water temperature was like at Cast away?
The water temps were too cold for us Floridians! But as I said, it was right after a hurricane, which had stirred up the colder water in the ocean. And it was windy--so windy it took Capt. Henry about 3 hours to successfully dock the ship. We pulled in, circled back, pulled in, circled back...but we made it!

Still, swimming weather for me (grew up in Orlando) ends after my bday in mid-September. I wasn't expecting to swim anyway.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilsan

My daughter (7) said it was the worst Halloween ever The Fantasy celebrated Halloween on Oct 30 instead of the 31st.

We did love the cruise, but wouldn't plan on doing another one on Halloween.
Yeah, worst EVER! Didn't have to go to school that week and got breakfast candy. Sounds terrible It may just be that age. Older kids and adults seemed to be having a great time!
Old 12-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber

The water temps were too cold for us Floridians! But as I said, it was right after a hurricane, which had stirred up the colder water in the ocean. And it was windy--so windy it took Capt. Henry about 3 hours to successfully dock the ship. We pulled in, circled back, pulled in, circled back...but we made it!

Still, swimming weather for me (grew up in Orlando) ends after my bday in mid-September. I wasn't expecting to swim anyway.
Thanks, I was afraid it might be too cold.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Here is the email we received prior to our Oct 2012 Fantasy sailing. We never saw a parade or a party to collect more treats, but we were definitely not seeking them out fwiw. The big debate prior, and even onboard, was which day these activities would occur. On our Eastern it was Wednesday afternoon/evening, after St Thomas.

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...postcount=2351

ETA; Studying the PP's Navigator I can see why we missed the Halloween festivities. These events occurred well past our onboard bedtime.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412
Here is the email we received prior to our Oct 2012 Fantasy sailing. We never saw a parade or a party to collect more treats, but we were definitely not seeking them out fwiw. The big debate prior, and even onboard, was which day these activities would occur. On our Eastern it was Wednesday afternoon/evening, after St Thomas.

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...postcount=2351

ETA; Studying the PP's Navigator I can see why we missed the Halloween festivities. These events occurred well past our onboard bedtime.
Based on the times listed in the Navigator, we wouldn't see them either

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: