Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #136
ses1230
DIS Veteran

Thread resurrection! I didn't read the whole thread but just pointing out that some things are different now than in 2009.

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #137
nooneshome
but us dis shutins-send help or APs

for us the dining plans are simply too much food. TS eats up a lot of time and we like to just wing it. We will only do FD.
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #138
SPOERLX3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses1230 View Post
Thread resurrection! I didn't read the whole thread but just pointing out that some things are different now than in 2009.
You are soooo right! We went December 2011, just 11 months ago and I am sure that some more things have changed since then. Going back soon so we will find out then
Old 11-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #139
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

I would never pay for the dining plan. I've crunched the numbers and it wouldn't work in our favour.

We've lucked out and have gotten the free dining last trip and this upcoming one. A room only discount would have been about $50 at POR. With 4 "adults" and one child, we definately come out way ahead with the FD. Could not eat for $50 a day!

But, if we did not get the FD, we def. would not eat $240 worth of food each day, which is what it would cost our family to add the dp.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #140
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneshome View Post
for us the dining plans are simply too much food. TS eats up a lot of time and we like to just wing it. We will only do FD.
???? So if it's free it's not too much food? So if it's free the TS take up less time?
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #141
mslhb
Mouseketeer

We leave Monday and will be on the regular dining plan paid for OOP. I debated back and forth about it and finally added it a month ago. I am a bit over analytical so I spent the time to sit down and figure out what we would pay OOP vs. the dining plan. It looks like the dining plan will save us some money. Not a ton but I figured it would be nice to have the bulk of our meals paid for beforehand. I know everyone is different but I don't see how people think the regular dining plan is too much food. It is only 2 meals and a snack a day... and even less if you choose a 2 credit meal. I haven't been to DW in a looonngg time and was ecstatic to see how much the dining choices have improved. I don't anticipate us being complete park commandos and am looking forward to some nice sit down meals. Of course we will see how I feel about it next week after our trip. But for now that is my rationale for why we ended up choosing it!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #142
Ldynred812
Mouseketeer

We did the DDP in Nov 09. Ate a lot of character meals...it was Thanksgiving week and prices were raised for that. We are going in Jan 2013 and are doing the QSDP. We now have 3 kids, one who is under 2 and one who is now a Disney adult. The Disney adult kid will NOT eat an entire adult QS meal herself, but when split with the 22 mo old, PERFECT. I've been researching menus a lot and am determined to find a lot of non burger meals. And for us, knowing it is all paid for and not having to mess with cash and credit cards every time we want to eat...wonderful.

Kecia
Ldynred812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #143
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer

I have been on the DDP several times. Every time we have used it was when Free Dining was offered. So free food is definitely a great value to us. We love character meals and buffets, so we get to eat at Chef Mickeys, Crystal Palace, and several other places for free.
CraftyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #144
Tara D
Mouseketeer

We almost always do the dining plan. Last time we went it was Free Dining. My problem is, I could totally do without the DP and just pay OOP for a few character meals... but DH loves to eat. I always joke that they must have had food shortage issues when he was a kid because he is ALWAYS concerned whether there will be enough food. He is the type to order an appetizer, entree and dessert when we go out to eat just to make sure he gets full. (He's also about 6 ft tall and weights 165 but he sure can eat a lot!)

I talked to him a few days ago about not doing dining plan this trip and he didn't like that idea. He would rather feel like he can order whatever he wants since it's prepaid, even if it's not really a discount. I have to admit I probably enjoy my food more too when it's prepaid... that way I'm not trying to decide between being cheap and getting a salad or a chicken sandwich, or ordering the lobster ravioli that I really want. (just an example but you know what I mean).
2008- Pop Century
2011- Caribbean Beach Resort (Pirate Room!!)
2012- Agent trip
2013- Port Orleans French Quarter
2014- Coronado Springs

Planning our Feb 2015 trip at Caribbean Beach

I am a Disney travel agent
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #145
ItsNotMuchofaTail
but I'm sort of attached to it

I like the DDP a lot. I just returned from a trip and there is NO WAY I didn't save $. My (DD 9 and me) bill at Akershus alone was $90 - which is more than the plan cost me for a whole day - for 1 meal.

I understand that crunching the numbers for some people may make the DP not worth it, but it is to me.

*I am a cheapakate, and will make myself order a cheap thing even if I want something more expensive. On the DP, I can get the expensive fish or whatever, because I don't have to pay the bill. This greatly enhances my vacation.
*My DD needs a TS just about ever ypark day, for a break.
*So far, she has always been a child, making her plan much more reasonable.
*We like buffets/character meals, which are pricy OOP.
*I like the convenience of it, although if it didn't work $-wise, I could prepay meals on GC, which would even out anyway.

I will probably always have the DP, this recent trip I paid for it, but got a 30% room only PIN. My TA did the numbers and said that saved me more than free dining, which was available on my dates (after I booked it came out).

I get that it doesn't work for some people, what I don't get is the hatred of the DP. If you don't like it, don't get it.

My XH wanted the DxDP the last trip we took together, that was a waste for us, we didn't do enough high priced meals, we used several credits for CS. But that's water under the bridge now.

Previous trips:
Off Site: Visiting the grandparents in the 80s - June 2000 - Honeymoon (POFQ) - June 2007 - DD's 1st trip (ASM)June 2010 - We're getting divorced and going anyway (CBR)

November 2012 - Just DD and me (POR-Royal Room)
ItsNotMuchofaTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #146
jeepwreck
DIS Veteran

Just got back on Monday and we got the dinning plan again this trip. We always get the deluxe plan so we have a lot of options of the type of restaurants that we can eat at. For this trip I think we use it very wisely and it defiantly paid for its self, I kept track of all the amount that we would have paid it believe me it adds up very quickly essentially for the snacks, two ice-cream bars were 7.15$ and 2 smoothies were 9.97$ this adds up fast. For breakfast every morning at out resort was around 20.00$ for some waffles and chocolate milk. And when it comes to lunch/ dinner I can be for adventurous and try stuff that I may have not get before because of the price but, since all I will be paying out of my own pocket at that time of dinner is a tip I tend to go for the most expensive things on the menu (only if they look good lol)

We were there for 6 nights 5 days in the parks and our total for all food items that we got was over 1500$ for two of us. So for this trip I know the dinning plan was a good option.
Hello my name is Jeff….. and I am a disoholic!
Me , (DW)Emily , (DS)James
jeepwreck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #147
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

Both times we have used the dining plan we had gotten free dining. Next trip we go on will be an adult's only trip and we will stay in a mod and hope for free dining. If we get free dining we may (I haven't decided yet) upgrade to the deluxe dining plan.

It's a very good value if you get free DDP and just pay to upgrade to DlxDp.

But I would never pay full price for any of the dining plans. If we are not on the dining plan none of us would ever order dessert and can eat OOP much cheaper than what you pay for the dining plans, QSDP or DDP.

But if it is free I will definitely take it.
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #148
GeorgiaHoo
DIS Veteran

So the dining plan in 2013 is around $56 a person. It would be hard to save money on the dining plan plus we'd be tied to reservations every night. If we ate at someplace like 'Ohana it would cost $35 per person, another $15 for lunch (and that's a pricey lunch) and $5 for a snack and we only break even. We can simply pay out of pocket, book reservations at the restaurants we want to eat at (Be Our Guest, 'Ohana and Cape May) and then eat wherever the other days we are there.
GeorgiaHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #149
Lifted07Duramax
Earning My Ears

Who knows if it's been said but I won't do the dining plan because its cheaper to have a taxi if you dont have a vehicle to a grocery store and buy all the foods you want.
And then go out to a couple nice places for the week or so that you are there. Saves a ton of money and you get to have all that food in the room with you.
Lifted07Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:10 AM   #150
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

We wouldn't get the dining plan because we don't want that many CS meals and the plan would cost more than paying OOP.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: