Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #166
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I still had rules to follow as we walked around. One being these little tunnel type areas through the rocks. I was NOT allowed to go through till Claire did. Since I was kind of wandering and taking pictures, I broke this rule a few times .....and of course was scolded for doing so!

We have found more animals!

Exploring some more.

Arent these so cute.

They had these little metal art type animals hidden in the rocks.

We headed inside now to explore the lobby.

Its really so pretty and I can see the resemblance of Wilderness Lodge.

jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #167
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Jen, I am all caught up.

LOVE Cheesecake Factory for the food and Mark loves it for the food and the cheesecake.

I thoroughly enjoyed your's and Claire's exploring of the AKL. I do love that resort and your exploring now has me confused about where I want to stay in August. It's just so stunning.
Register to remove

Old 12-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #168
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

I love all the photos. I had to laugh when I read your comment that you can see the resemblance to Wilderness Lodge. My reaction when I entered Grand Californian and Wilderness Lodge for the first time was that this reminds me of Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #169
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Jen, I am all caught up.

LOVE Cheesecake Factory for the food and Mark loves it for the food and the cheesecake.

I thoroughly enjoyed your's and Claire's exploring of the AKL. I do love that resort and your exploring now has me confused about where I want to stay in August. It's just so stunning.

I love it all there.
Cheesecake is so yummy and I love their big pieces.
I really enjoyed AKL. Now my cousin went after our cruise and wasn't so happy with it. A couple of little things that added up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
I love all the photos. I had to laugh when I read your comment that you can see the resemblance to Wilderness Lodge. My reaction when I entered Grand Californian and Wilderness Lodge for the first time was that this reminds me of Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Corinna
Thanks.
I would love to see Grand Californian.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #170
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I was starting to get a bit antsy that our room was still not ready. It was just after 2 now and I knew our chance at getting a nap was fading away faster and faster.

We decided to head into the gift shop. This place is amazing!

This shop is definitely different than other resorts gift shops.

After our quick browse through the store we headed outside to see the front of the resort.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #171
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Jen, you are killing me with all those pics of WDW and the AKL.

Love the pics of the gift shop and outside, they bring back some very happy memories. Thank you!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #172
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

Part of the "rules" are follow the leader and the Kid is always the leader!

I will agree the the gift shop looks nothing like any of the others I've been in. The colors in there are just beautiful.

A long night is ahead! Please say you got a nap!
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Caretames1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #173
Daddy_of_Princesses
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Love all the pics, reminds me of our trip in 2010. The gift shop at AKL is one of the best I've seen. The Polynesian has a pretty nice gift shop too.

1987 - offsite / 1988 - offsite School Trip / 2007 - ASMo / 2010 - AKL and Poly / 2013 CB
Daddy_of_Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #174
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Jen, you are killing me with all those pics of WDW and the AKL.

Love the pics of the gift shop and outside, they bring back some very happy memories. Thank you!
Thanks! We enjoyed looking around here since it was so different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
Part of the "rules" are follow the leader and the Kid is always the leader!

I will agree the the gift shop looks nothing like any of the others I've been in. The colors in there are just beautiful.

A long night is ahead! Please say you got a nap!
Yes, she can be quite bossy at times.
They do have a really unique gift shop. I wish I was loaded with money so I could justify buying some of the unusual items.
It was a long night ...but we did pretty good I think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy_of_Princesses View Post
Love all the pics, reminds me of our trip in 2010. The gift shop at AKL is one of the best I've seen. The Polynesian has a pretty nice gift shop too.
You need to go back again. I remembered that you guys enjoyed it there too.
Yes the Poly has some neat shops in there too. We have browsed those a few times as well.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #175
Daddy_of_Princesses
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
You need to go back again. I remembered that you guys enjoyed it there too.
Yes the Poly has some neat shops in there too. We have browsed those a few times as well.
We are probably going again in October. Thinking of Port Orleans Riverside. They have those nicely themed Princess rooms, and the grounds look very nice. Thinking of a Saturday - Sunday trip, 6 days in the parks, with the other days spent on the resort relaxing. I think the 8 days of non-stop parks was more than my wife could handle.

1987 - offsite / 1988 - offsite School Trip / 2007 - ASMo / 2010 - AKL and Poly / 2013 CB
Daddy_of_Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #176
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy_of_Princesses View Post
We are probably going again in October. Thinking of Port Orleans Riverside. They have those nicely themed Princess rooms, and the grounds look very nice. Thinking of a Saturday - Sunday trip, 6 days in the parks, with the other days spent on the resort relaxing. I think the 8 days of non-stop parks was more than my wife could handle.
That sounds great! I would love to check out those rooms in person too. They look so neat.
Even though this trip was long, we actually still needed more days. LOL . We needed to add a few more down days, as we really enjoyed them, but just not enough time to have down time and do all we wanted to do. It was crazy busy at the parks though too.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #177
francis6306
DIS Veteran

Okay, caught up over here as well!

As soon as I saw the pictures of AKL, I thought "That looks JUST like WL!" I love it! I really want to stay there one dayÖ heckÖ who am I kidding? I want to stay EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

July '14 Girl's Trip!! PTR

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
francis6306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #178
MEK
DIS Veteran

Bummer that it was taking so long for your room to be ready, but at least it gave you time for a comprehensive photo tour. You really captured the spirit of the resort and the gift shop pictures are great!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #179
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis6306 View Post
Okay, caught up over here as well!

As soon as I saw the pictures of AKL, I thought "That looks JUST like WL!" I love it! I really want to stay there one dayÖ heckÖ who am I kidding? I want to stay EVERYWHERE!!!!!!
Yay! I think I am almost caught up now after my trip with all TR's. LOL.
This resort is very pretty. I loved the look.
I want to try just about all of them too. I know Claire's first choice would be AKL again though. I really want to go to WL and Boardwalk on my to do next list. But that could be a while yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Bummer that it was taking so long for your room to be ready, but at least it gave you time for a comprehensive photo tour. You really captured the spirit of the resort and the gift shop pictures are great!
Bummer that it is taking me forever to update too.
We did enjoy our time, and any other day, we would've been OK, but we really needed to take a nap. We did not get one and did OK, but it would've worked out better if we got one as our next day was kind of early for those who were extra tired.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: