Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #16
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkermommyof3 View Post
Appreciated and enjoyed your review so far. Poly is #1 with our family as well. Had originally booked GF SL for next Summer for a change. Had stayed GF a few years ago and thought we should give CL a try there. My instincts told me to stick with Poly CL so we switiched back. Looking forward to the rest of your report!
Thanks!

It is fun trying something new, but you never know what you are going to get!

Lots of Poly to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
I guess construction is going to have a negative impact until it's all said and done there! And maybe it will still be negative after, who knows?

I was just thinking - why did she think you needed a pool changing room? I would have gone to the restrooms too.

I have a theory on why all the deluxes share buses - most of them have at least one form of alternate transportation - monorail, boats, walking, so that they must (mistakenly) believe less people would be on the buses, so they share them. I agree with you - two resorts should be the max. Especially during busy times!

Anxious to hear about your Poly experience!

Oh - what is RPC?
Yeah, who knows. I just don't think the DVC is going to have a positive impact on the GF. But I hope I'm wrong!

I wish I would have thought to say we will just go change in the restrooms right inside the front door!! But at the time I didn't have any idea she was sending us clear out to the pool.

I guess you are right on that theory somewhat. But the truth of the matter is that there is no other way to get to DHS, AK, and DTD from the MK resorts other than by bus. And there are a lot of people staying at those resorts. Way too many to be crammed on the same bus. We stood more than ever before on the buses. Poor DH, I think he stood every time because he would always give up his seat to women with little kids.

RPC is Royal Palm Club I believe. It's the more expensive CL at the GF and is in the main building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoof View Post
great review! waiting for pics and poly review now

we stayed at the poly and loved it! we too saw rude behavior from guests however. one left his booze bottles on the poly beach!! i couldn't stand it so after he left i cleaned them up. he also left a mess in the cl as well! i feel bad for the cm's who have to deal with this kind of behavior.
Thanks! Pictures and Poly are coming soon.

Some people just have no sense of right and wrong I guess. It is ridiculous to act like that. I feel bad for the CM's that have to deal with it too.
Momof2Disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #17
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacrestpromo View Post
Hi Shelly -

Thank you for sharing your review of the GF.

I bet it is safe to say, if the resort has any construction going on, stay away.

Too bad you were hearing all the noise from CL. That is not good at all. How late is that open that you can hear plates clanging in the middle of the night?
That is mind boggling.

Well, I am glad that there were some good things that you liked and enjoyed.

Looking forward to more of your reviews!

Sea
Hi Sea!

I think the lounge itself is only open until 10pm. But we definitely heard noise well past then. I suppose people could load up on beer and sit there later.

I'm not sure what the bang was that we heard in the middle of the night. Maybe CM's cleaning up and they dropped something ??

Yes, we still had a good stay. It definitely wasn't all bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBird View Post
She did indeed look at you like that request was something she had never heard! I was actually surprised and that's when I said ok, we have to go. I figured us leaving y'all would help you get things sorted out.

As far as RPC--- I've never been up there so IDK, but I'm wondering if the craziness of the lobby echoes up there as well? The night of the wedding we went in and it was mass chaos-- people laughing, screaming, the band playing. About 50 people swing dancing in the middle of the floor in between guests to the orchestra. Which I guess is fun for them, but for the guests actually staying there, I'd imagine it was terrible. Especially if you had a child trying to sleep. Just chaotic.
IDK.

I think it was just the timeframe of the trip.

No more December for us. Not if we can absolutely help it!
I remember you looking at me funny and saying we're leaving!!

The lobby was definitely hectic this trip. It was like a party in there! I would hope that it doesn't echo up to the rooms and lounge, but it may.

I don't think we will do December again either. Too many people. Too much going on. I like to have WDW all to myself!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraw45425 View Post
We stayed there last December. Didn't realize when I booked that it was parade weekend. We stayed in Conch Key this time, facing the courtyard. Only building I didn't care for. In the past we've been in Boca Chica and Big Pine lagoon view. This time was ground floor so I felt "exposed" if the drapes weren't closed at all times. I had tried for SL but it was booked solid, duh, parade. The lobby was a madhouse, more so than In our previous holiday stays. I can't imagine it with full blown construction!
Conch Key ground floor would be right out there. I wouldn't like having to close the blinds all the time.

I think the GF lobby must be super busy from the time the gingerbread house goes up until after the holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
I have stayed RPC twice and it's been very quiet up there, even when the lobby is bustling below and the orchestra is playing. The great thing about RPC is that there are tables almost all the way to the other end so you can eat your offerings in complete privacy if you don't mind walking that far from where the food tables are set up. It's nothing like staying at Sugarloaf.
Good to know.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #18
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Okay, I have some pics ready!

From the ME bus when we arrived ~

As we quickly walked through the lobby on the way to Sugarloaf (I'll have way more lobby pics later) ~

Heading for the Sugarloaf building ~

Some CL offerings (11:30-2 Refreshments) ~

Heading out to the bus stop ~

There is a new TV screen hanging up at the bus stop telling you the time the next bus will arrive for each park. It's really pretty neat. Except that the time changes as you are sitting there. I suppose it's going off of the GPS on the bus and if there is traffic or a wheelchair to load or any other hold up, the time will change accordingly.

Lots more to come!

Old 12-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #19
JoBird
Proud Charter Member of the Tagless Clique
I almost got a tag about clean butter but then the tag fairy saw I don't like tags

Great pics!

It's such a beautiful resort. Can't wait for more so I can relive the trip. (The good parts that is!)

Old 12-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #20
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBird View Post
Great pics!

It's such a beautiful resort. Can't wait for more so I can relive the trip. (The good parts that is!)

Thanks!

Nice new ticker BTW!
Old 12-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #21
lala3291
DIS Veteran

Well, Shelly, I finally made it over to your resort reviews! I've been crazy getting ready for Christmas- and tonight we went to see Christmas lights!

Thank you for your GF review- GF has been nearly number one for us until we stayed there in November. The Poly in July spoiled us! I think it was all of the construction that made us not enjoy the GF as much as in the past. Trust me, we still love it, but I don't think we will be back until all of the construction is completed. It just put too much of a damper on the experience overall. It is still most definitely a gorgeous resort, and we can't wait to try it again once all of the construction is over with.

Can't wait for more pictures and for your thoughts on the Poly!

And congrats on your new ticker, Jodi!

March '98- BC March '00- BWI Feb. '04- BWI Sept '05 BC Nov. '06 -GF Oct. '07- GF August '08-GF Feb. '09- BWI May '10- BWI March '11- BC May '11- BWI July '11- BWI Nov. '11- GF Feb. '12- BC July '12- Poly Nov. '12- GF New Year's '13- Poly Feb. '13- POR June '13- WL August '13- YC Dec. '13- GF March '14- BC July '14- BWI April '14- CR Nov. '15- GF
lala3291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #22
johnsonet
DIS Veteran

I'm enjoying your review and photos! I'm a longtime fan of both the GF and the Poly.

You've confirmed my fears that with the courtyard pool walled off (and no beach access ) , there will be a different atmosphere at the GF - but the pros are still worth the cons, for me.

Bus to DTD has always been the worst. On the bright side, GF is pretty convenient to the MK

Looking fwd to more photos!
johnsonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #23
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala3291 View Post
Well, Shelly, I finally made it over to your resort reviews! I've been crazy getting ready for Christmas- and tonight we went to see Christmas lights!

Thank you for your GF review- GF has been nearly number one for us until we stayed there in November. The Poly in July spoiled us! I think it was all of the construction that made us not enjoy the GF as much as in the past. Trust me, we still love it, but I don't think we will be back until all of the construction is completed. It just put too much of a damper on the experience overall. It is still most definitely a gorgeous resort, and we can't wait to try it again once all of the construction is over with.

Can't wait for more pictures and for your thoughts on the Poly!

And congrats on your new ticker, Jodi!
So glad you are here Lauren!

I thought you might not have been too pleased with the GF last time, but you were too nice to say anything! Yeah, I would wait until all the construction is done before staying there again. And then you can head back and see what you think!

More pics to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonet View Post
I'm enjoying your review and photos! I'm a longtime fan of both the GF and the Poly.

You've confirmed my fears that with the courtyard pool walled off (and no beach access ) , there will be a different atmosphere at the GF - but the pros are still worth the cons, for me.

Bus to DTD has always been the worst. On the bright side, GF is pretty convenient to the MK

Looking fwd to more photos!

Thank you!

Yes, it's definitely a different feel there now. Just hoping that wonderful atmosphere that the GF used to be comes back!

I'm not sure what was worse this time - the trip to/from AK or DTD....The AK trip has stops at BB on the way there and the way back. Took forever. At least with DTD, TL was closed so no stop there this time! Both were ridiculously long trips with too many resorts/people crammed on the bus.

But yes, it is pretty convenient to MK!
Old 12-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #24
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Entrance ~

Lobby ~

Sugarloaf CL offerings (Twilight Refreshers 5-7) ~

Old 12-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #25
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Our room (6315) ~

Old 12-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #26
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Balcony and view at night ~

Welcome chocolate ~

Turndown service ~

Old 12-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #27
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

From the third floor by the elevators looking down at the lounge ~

Video games, movies, and pin trading outside of the courtyard pool construction walls ~

Lobby and Gingerbread House ~

Old 12-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #28
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Love GF RPC and we only stay there if we can get it. Stayed Sugar Loaf once and did not enjoy it very much. The CMs at RPC were much nicer.
Poly is our least favorite WDW resort.
The nice thing about WDW is there are so many resorts and everyone can find their favorites.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #29
johnsonet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
Entrance ~

Lobby ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post

Heavenly Thank you so much!
(and sorry about those looong bus rides )
johnsonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #30
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Love GF RPC and we only stay there if we can get it. Stayed Sugar Loaf once and did not enjoy it very much. The CMs at RPC were much nicer.
Poly is our least favorite WDW resort.
The nice thing about WDW is there are so many resorts and everyone can find their favorites.
We thought all the CM's at Sugarloaf were really nice. Just didn't care for the set up of things I guess. And we were spoiled by the awesome views from the Poly lounge!

Wow I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that the Poly is their least favorite before!! Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

You are right -- so many WDW resorts to choose from, certainly something for everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonet View Post
Heavenly Thank you so much!
(and sorry about those looong bus rides )
Glad you are enjoying the pics!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: