Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #436
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to read your trip report NM!

The laundry/alcohol subtitle intrigues me.

Welcome back!

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
Old 12-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #437
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElinor View Post
I did want to ask- has anyone else had trouble checking in at the YC/BC? Our reservation was in the system but somehow inaccessible- the day before we checked in I had called to put some gift cards on my account and the CM mentioned there was something up with the reservation- which I had noticed since it was no longer on the Disney website. She said that she (and the hotel staff) could "see" it but I could not. She also told me I had a water view room- but I had paid for garden view.
A couple of weeks ago Disney did a huge update to their computer system. These things never go well so I'm wondering if it was something like that. Also the upgrade you got may have had something to do with the delay, but I'm just guessing on that one.

Although I did not experience any delays at check in I did notice how the staff, through out my stay, was taking the time to get things right. I think the biggest handicap to the staff is a computer system that is cumbersome. It does not lend itself to the flexibility needed to accommodate a staff that is always looking toward the best in customer service.

Just my opinion....

~NM
Register to remove

Old 12-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #438
TeenaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post
A couple of weeks ago Disney did a huge update to their computer system. These things never go well so I'm wondering if it was something like that. Also the upgrade you got may have had something to do with the delay, but I'm just guessing on that one.

Although I did not experience any delays at check in I did notice how the staff, through out my stay, was taking the time to get things right. I think the biggest handicap to the staff is a computer system that is cumbersome. It does not lend itself to the flexibility needed to accommodate a staff that is always looking toward the best in customer service.

Just my opinion....

~NM
Amen!
Old 12-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #439
QueenElinor
Yes, they really ARE all redheads!

Quote:

Just my opinion....

~NM
The upgrade was on my reservation before we even got to the resort and experienced the delay- I actually found out about it the night before. That was just one part of the weirdness! I have to say that it did make me less unhappy about waiting, though. It was almost as if Disney knew there were going to be problems and did a pre-emptive upgrade!
Old 12-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #440
dana278
Mouseketeer

I'm in the early stages of planning my first trip to WDW in 15 years and I seriously can't decide between YC and BC. (Boardwalk was on my initial list but I stayed there as a teenager right after they opened so I figured I should go with something else this time. Plus for some reason I remember being so jealous of BC when we went to the Cape May Cafe for dinner one night. LOL)

I've read many trip reports and looked at every picture I can find and I STILL can't decide between the two. They each have pros and cons but none are strong enough for me to make a solid decision! Since I won't be traveling with kids I think the fact that YC is more low-key would be great (and I love the decor!), but I'm looking at the resort on Google Maps and it just seems so much bigger than BC, plus it looks to be a lot further away from Epcot. I know you should be prepared for lots of walking when you visit theme parks, and I personally don't mind, but I get a bit worried about my mom at times.

Quick question..are there a few exits around the building so you can just pop out to the walking path, or do you have to trek through the entire hotel to exit at a main entrance?

Oh one more question! I see people in reviews saying that ground floor rooms are great because you can just pop out of your sliding door and be on your way. Do the sliding doors have some kind of auto-locking feature? If not, are people just leaving their rooms open for anyone to pop IN? LOL Normally I'd be against a ground floor room but if this is the case then I might request one.

Plus I'm a bit worried there will be a convention the week I'm there. Does anyone have experience staying there while a big convention is going on? On a recent trip I made to the Disneyland Hotel in CA there were a ton of convention guests everywhere and they were beyond rude. They seriously acted like they owned the place because they were there for business. I'll take loud children over rude (and loud and drunk!) adults any day!

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #441
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

Hello my friends! Welcome to the start of my trip report. I've been thinking about how to organize it and I've decided to go the chronological route with a little hotel info mixed in with a little trip info.

I'll start with our arrival at the hotel. By that I mean Pop and not the BC! We chose to spend the night at Pop Century on the day of our arrival down in Florida. I wanted to have an "off" day where we could recover from the early morning Airport shuffle and a long flight. It was great having 2 rooms so there was plenty of space for the luggage and 5 bodies. It was also great not being compelled to start running around like crazy people the moment we set foot in Orlando.

We decided to go to AK for a couple of hours at night just to walk around and get something to eat. I have to say the park was beautiful at night and we ate at Yak and Yeti where I had the privilege to pay 18 dollars for a quart of chicken lo mein.

The next morning we called bell services and had them whisk the bags to the BC while we went to our first park. It was at this point that I learned that the bags do not even leave the hotel you just checked out of until AFTER 12 noon because technically your next hotel room is not available until 4pm. I've never seen that reported for hotel luggage transfers between resorts so keep that in mind. Bell services did say that the bags would probably be at the next hotel by about 2 pm and that you could access your bags if your room was still not ready during the day of check in. Still, it was easier just to take what you needed from your bags (like bathing suits or medication) and put it in one separate bag, either to carry with you to the park, OR fetch from Bell services when you got to your next hotel, but you room was still not ready. Bell services at POP and the BC was VERY ACCOMMODATING as far as helping you access the luggage they were storing for you. This goes for either pre-check in luggage storage or post check out storage. We had valuables (computer's Ipad's and Ipods) that we felt safe leaving with Bell services. We just let them know that we had valuables and they said that they would take special care of them.

We threw the bathing suits in a back pack and took the bus to Hollywood Studios for rope drop and Toy Story Mania. Since we were part of the early morning pack we were able to get Fast Passes for a second ride but we soon discovered through out our entire trip that the new fast pass system does not work for us!

What we found was, that for the rides that you really needed fast passes for, (Example: Soarin, Test track, TSM) you could only get them in the morning if you were at that parks in the first two hours. If you came later than that, then the FP times were ridiculously late and were out of the question. Keep in mind that this was during a period of low crowds in the parks. People that are going during busier times are really going to have to depend on that new advanced, Fast Pass reservation system that Disney is moving towards if they hope to get a chance at the busier rides and they aren't at the parks right at rope drop.

The other thing that we discovered was that when we did pull FP's in the morning we never made it back in time to use them since we had to keep touring through the park and we would be moving further away from the FP ride. We would get sucked into committing to something else that blocked our ability to get back at precisely the time the FP called for. This was knowing full well that we could not use a FP early and we had a 15 minute grace period after the FP expired.

It occurred to me that Disney is obviously trying to kill the "Tour by FP" system where you gather them in the morning and go back again at your convenience. To me, the choices are: you hit the high demand attractions right at rope drop or you wait in a long line for the rest of the day for the popular attractions. Remember, you can pull a FP for the popular ride after that early morning park opening, say the first two hours, but the return time will be mid to late afternoon or even late in the evening, which means you have to plan to be there right in that FP time window. This whole situation really put a crimp in our touring plans and I'd bet big money that the percentage of fast passes actually being used has gone way down, which means a lot of people are walking around with FP's in their pockets that they aren't actually going to be able to use. Way to go Disney Managers!

I was wondering if the decrease in useable FP's would impact the standby lines, making them faster but I couldn't really see a difference. I had the chance to ask some ride CM's if they were seeing faster standby line times because of the strict FP time returns but the ones I talked to were non committal or had no idea what I was getting at, so I wasn't able to get a good read on my suspicions. I even spoke with what I was pretty sure was a ride manager and he was not giving up any information like that so we shall see. As they say, your (ride) mileage may vary, but that's what I was experiencing.

After a morning at DHS we decided to take that beautiful boat ride from the Park to the BC. I don't think I will ever forget the anticipation I experienced on the boat as we cruised closer and closer to the resort. Yeah sure, the Magical Express is a nice way to arrive at your resort. But there is something special in floating around a corner and having the Yacht and Beach club being revealed in all it's glory from the beautiful water side.

That's it for this installment of my BC trip report. Next up I'll write about what happened at check in and I'll continue in various installments about all the things I learned and experienced at this WONDERFUL resort!

I know I'm keeping you hanging but that's all a part of the fun!!!

~NM

Last edited by Ninja Mom; 12-20-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #442
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hello my friends! Welcome to the start of my trip report.

~NM
Yay! The trip report!!

Love that you arrived at BC by boat. That would be magical.

Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR – with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012
Old 12-21-2012, 01:39 AM   #443
teheber
CYCLING IS HOW I ROLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by castoral View Post
Maybe I'm getting it mixed up with one of the other resorts I was originally considering (since WL was one of them). I'm 99% sure we're going to upgrade to CL for our trip in February, so assuming we do, I'll take pics/post the menu for each day, assuming its not just totally random. We'll be there 8 nights so hopefully I pick up on some type of pattern. If not, no biggie...just thought it would be nice to know.
We will be accross the lake (@BWI)from you during some of those dates.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #444
Katesdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana278 View Post
I'm in the early stages of planning my first trip to WDW in 15 years and I seriously can't decide between YC and BC. I'm looking at the resort on Google Maps and it just seems so much bigger than BC, plus it looks to be a lot further away from Epcot. Quick question..are there a few exits around the building so you can just pop out to the walking path, or do you have to trek through the entire hotel to exit at a main entrance? Plus I'm a bit worried there will be a convention the week I'm there. Does anyone have experience staying there while a big convention is going on? Thanks in advance!
Think of the BC/YC as one big resort, just two names and two different decors. If having a balconey is important to you, then go YC. If saving three to five minutes on the walk to Epcot is important to you, go BC. If you want to save three to five minutes on the walk to the Friendship boat to HS, then go YC. Either has similar access to SAB (IMHO). I enjoy the "dark side" over the BC due to the decor, the lower noise volume (due to Cape May in the lobby of the BC) and access to the buses first (they stop first at YC then go to BC). Yes, there are "secret" entrances in the YC that can be used to speed up your exit to the walkway but they are only time savers if your room is close to them. At the BC, you have the exit near Room 1501 which puts you within mere seconds of the International Gateway. Big conventions and small conventions all have their issues if you get involved with a bunch of drunken reprobates. Heard about the certified public accounting firm at the GF that has a tax convention there every year in February and people always complain that they are drunk and disorderly. It can happen everywhere, but I have yet to experience it. Us tax accoutants know how to party and we don't care if we do walk around with lamp-shades on our head.

In summary, look for what kind of room you can get, the price on the room and go from there. If you go GV at the YC, ask for the "gazebo view". If you really want to be close to Epcot, go with BC and ask for a room at that end of the resort. Bottom line, you can't go wrong with the BC/YC (IMHO). Happy planning!

Quote:
Hello my friends! Welcome to the start of my trip report.~NM
Finally, it has begun! Looking forward to all the sorid details, especially the details on the copious quantity of adult beverages consumed while sitting by the quiet pool doing laundry.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #445
MickeyT
DIS Veteran

Katesdad-Thanks for putting into words my thoughts. You nailed the resorts perfectly. Only omission, BC=Less steps to speak to Teena.

NinjaMom-Thanks for the start. I am one of those FP gatherers that will definitely have to feel my way through the new system. Hard to figure out why they are going this route. For them to try and control an experience that we always had a balance of spontaniety and planning sounds challenging to me. Can't wait to hear your take on the BC. Keep it coming!

Old 12-21-2012, 05:13 AM   #446
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
After a morning at DHS we decided to take that beautiful boat ride from the Park to the BC. I don't think I will ever forget the anticipation I experienced on the boat as we cruised closer and closer to the resort. Yeah sure, the Magical Express is a nice way to arrive at your resort. But there is something special in floating around a corner and having the Yacht and Beach club being revealed in all it's glory from the beautiful water side.
Thanks for the info about the beginning of your trip! I haven't seen the info about the luggage transfer time, I appreciate you sharing that. That's a little discouraging about the Fast Passes. This will definitely impact the way my family enjoys the parks.

What a beautiful way to arrive for your stay at the Beach Club!

More, please!
Old 12-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #447
natebenma
DIS Veteran

dana!

Quote:
I see people in reviews saying that ground floor rooms are great because you can just pop out of your sliding door and be on your way. Do the sliding doors have some kind of auto-locking feature? If not, are people just leaving their rooms open for anyone to pop IN? LOL Normally I'd be against a ground floor room but if this is the case then I might request one.

Thanks in advance!
This is a great question! I have seen people ask it before, but I can't remember the answer, so it would be great to hear from some of our friends who have stayed in a ground floor room.

(I think the answer is that the doors don't lock from the outside, so you shouldn't exit the room that way if you are leaving)

Quote:
I'm in the early stages of planning my first trip to WDW in 15 years and I seriously can't decide between YC and BC.

Thanks in advance!
I have only stayed at the BC, which I prefer because of the decor, and has a slight edge on location, but the full balcony guarantee at the YC is very tempting to me. Here is a post from the FAQ about the differences between the two resorts. Check out the blog entry from the World of Deej!

What are the differences between the Beach Club and the Yacht Club?

The Beach Club and Yacht Club are similar resorts in terms of service and amenities, and have equal access to the shared pool complex, health club and video arcade. Both resorts have the same management team in place.

Some minor differences have been noted by guests:

Beach Club
Lighter, beachy decor in lobby and rooms
Lobby can be active and lively with families waiting for meals at Cape May
Closer to EPCOT and Marketplace Gift Shop
Approximately 50% of rooms in all room categories have full balconies. The remaining are standing balconies.

Yacht Club
Darker woods and nautical decor in lobby and rooms
Lobby is more serene
Convention attendees are more likely to be booked at YC
Closer to Hollywood Studios and Friendship Boats
Most rooms have a full balcony

Want more details about the differences between the two resorts? Check out this awesome blog post (November 2011) from The World of Deej:
The World of Deej: BC vs. YC

Old 12-21-2012, 06:19 AM   #448
ClareH37
DIS Veteran

I thought I'd post some photos from my recent trip in case this helps anyone - I'm happy for anyone to use them (or delete)

I was in room 5629, a garden view club level room. The room was perfect, a short distance from the elevators and lounge (very happy for popping to the lounge to get food/drinks to take back to the room), and looked straight out the lakeside entrance, if you looked immediately left you saw Crescent Lake, just opposite/slightly left you saw a glimpse of Stormalong Bay. I was really happy with this room as I went with a garden view over a water view as I didn't want to look straight out at Stormalong Bay. It was in a small hallway with probably no more than 8 rooms so very little foot traffic, it was very quiet. The room had an interconnecting door, which I'm not usually keen on, and you could hear some noise from neighbours but a rolled up bath towel at the base of the door soon stopped that

1992/1994/1995/1997/1999/2001 - Offsite/POFQ * December 2004 - CSR, YC * December 2006 - YC CL * May 2007 - BWI * December 2007 - GF RPC, BWI CL * May 2009 - BWI CL *
May 2010 - BWI CL * November 2011 - BWI CL * December 2012 - BC CL
Old 12-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #449
dana278
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the input regarding my previous post. (I'm on the DIS app and I don't know if I can quote!)

I've seriously read everything possible but I don't know how to decide. I know either one will be great, I just don't want to get there and say "oh I wish I went with the other."
Old 12-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #450
dana278
Mouseketeer

Oh and the rolled up bath towel trick sounds so helpful! I never would've thought to do that. I'll definitely remember that if I ever have a connecting door in the future. I always assumed noise was coming through the door, not under it!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: