Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
FirstTimeTraveler
Earning My Ears

Mississauga to Fort Lauderdale Driving for NYE - i75?

Hello All!

Its my first post here and I have read a lot of the threads already so hoping to gain some valuable advice from you folks

My family and I will will be leaving to Fort Lauderdale on the 28th from Mississauga. We have 3 drivers so we hope to get there with minimal stops. Will not be getting a hotel/motel - straight driving (hopefully). We are all adults so we can manage the drive.

Few questions:

1) what is the best route to take at this time of the year (with possibility of snow storms)? Google map is telling me to take i79,19, and 77. However, I have read over here that i75 is the safest route especially in winter.

2) If I do decide to take the i75 whats the easiest way to get on i75? Do I have to drive to windsor first or is there a different way I can catch the i75 after crossing the border?

We will be taking a GPS with us and a printed map just in case. If you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!!
FirstTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
anniemck
DIS Veteran

Once you get to Florida, south of Ocala (wildwood) to be exact please save yourself about 3 hours and take the Florida Turnpike south rather than staying on I75.
Staying on 75 will take you very far out of the way down through Tampa, Fort Myers, Naples and then across Alligator Alley which is terribly known for its accidents. Just last Friday traffic was stalled for almost 2 hours with no where to go because of a car fire, but either way... that road is terrible.
Taking the turnpike will end up with about $15 in tolls but you save much more than that in gas/mileage/time rather than 75 all the way down.

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
FirstTimeTraveler
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemck View Post
Once you get to Florida, south of Ocala (wildwood) to be exact please save yourself about 3 hours and take the Florida Turnpike south rather than staying on I75.
Staying on 75 will take you very far out of the way down through Tampa, Fort Myers, Naples and then across Alligator Alley which is terribly known for its accidents. Just last Friday traffic was stalled for almost 2 hours with no where to go because of a car fire, but either way... that road is terrible.
Taking the turnpike will end up with about $15 in tolls but you save much more than that in gas/mileage/time rather than 75 all the way down.
Thank you so much for the advice! Will definitely keep that in mind

What is the easiest way of getting on to 75 from toronto?
FirstTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
retired
Earning My Ears

I leave from london and have crossed at both Sarnia and Windsor. I found that if I was crossing during the day, it was quicker crossing at sarnia and taking he I94 toward Detroit and connecting with the I75 about 20 miles south of Detroit. If crossing at night, then I go across at windsor and as soon as you go through customs and then the toll booth, the ramp to I75 south is right in front of you. Safe travels
retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #5
myzel
Mouseketeer

1) what is the best route to take at this time of the year (with possibility of snow storms)? Google map is telling me to take i79,19, and 77. However, I have read over here that i75 is the safest route especially in winter.

This is the best route, of course check the weather first. If the weather is good in this area and you are leaving in the morning then I would go this way. Once you get out of West Virginia, on the first day, you will be in better weather. West Virginia and Pennsylvania do a much better job of taking care of their roads during a storm.

If you go I75 then crossing Detroit is really easy now that they have finished most of the construction, if you cross Port Huron it adds about 15min to your drive and you still have to go through Detroit. The other downside of I 75 is driving through Dayton, Cincinnati, Lexington, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Macon.

Now using I90 - I79 -hwy19 - I77 - I26 - I95, you only have Charlotte, Jacksonville, and Daytona.
myzel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: