Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #1696
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLAuburn View Post
Unfortuntely, requests are just that - so while you may get everything you request, you might get none of them. I don't think there's any rhyme or reason, it just depends on availabilty and who is assigning the rooms.

If you do online check in, I believe they give a few choices like "first floor" or to request a pack n play, but not a certain building or section, so your best bet is probably to call and have your requests added to your reservation. As for the connecting rooms, if you haven't already, you can link your reservations together and they'll make a note that you'd like to be in connecting rooms.

All I can say is that it's worth a try! Asking for a specific building along with 2 other requests might be a little tough, but it can't hurt to ask!
Well, the specific building would be the first to go off my wish list. My son has autism, and when he is having sensory problems, he jumps. It somehow makes him feel better. As you can imagine, if we aren't on the first floor it is very stressful! Just trying to get him distracted and to be quiet is really hard. At 4, and being mostly non-verbal, he doesn't understand why at home he can do it, but not there.

I can see how it must be so hard for the people who assign rooms to make everyone happy and have it all work out. Sheesh, just getting it all organized for when a room is available or not, and the days people are arriving must be difficult.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:26 AM   #1697
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Unless you know a certain inside magic connection.
Magic connections are always awesome to have...especially when looking forward to the Magic of Disney. We won't be there again until September and it seems so far away. I swear, I'm worse than the kids.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #1698
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six View Post
Magic connections are always awesome to have...especially when looking forward to the Magic of Disney. We won't be there again until September and it seems so far away. I swear, I'm worse than the kids.
Funny I just PMed you.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:43 AM   #1699
cjsm&d
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, the specific building would be the first to go off my wish list. My son has autism, and when he is having sensory problems, he jumps. It somehow makes him feel better. As you can imagine, if we aren't on the first floor it is very stressful! Just trying to get him distracted and to be quiet is really hard. At 4, and being mostly non-verbal, he doesn't understand why at home he can do it, but not there.

I can see how it must be so hard for the people who assign rooms to make everyone happy and have it all work out. Sheesh, just getting it all organized for when a room is available or not, and the days people are arriving must be difficult.
When you call and request the first floor, make sure to explain your situation. I think you will have a very good chance of getting a 1st floor room.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #1700
HLAuburn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsm&d View Post
When you call and request the first floor, make sure to explain your situation. I think you will have a very good chance of getting a 1st floor room.
I agree. A reason like that should make it a priority, as far as I'm concerned. Most people (like me!) request the first floor to avoid hauling luggage and kids up the stairs or elevators, so your reason sounds much more valid!

Maybe someone will know - when you call to have a CM add requests, can they put notes about your requests on the reservation? Or would it be better to fax something in writing to the resort (is this still done?)?

Old 12-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #1701
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLAuburn View Post
I agree. A reason like that should make it a priority, as far as I'm concerned. Most people (like me!) request the first floor to avoid hauling luggage and kids up the stairs or elevators, so your reason sounds much more valid!

Maybe someone will know - when you call to have a CM add requests, can they put notes about your requests on the reservation? Or would it be better to fax something in writing to the resort (is this still done?)?
Yes the faxing is still done at this resort.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #1702
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Ever wondered why the Riverside Alligator Bayou lodges are numbered as they are, starting at 14, and then missing out numbers like 20-23, 30-33, etc?

Well have you?

It was so they didn't clash with the room numbering scheme at French Quarter (which even then was Dixie Landing's sister resort) with room/floor numbering like 11xx, 12xx, 13xx, 21xx, 22xx, 23xx, etc. And that's also why the mansion buildings start at 80 too, because French Quarter used up to 71xx, 72xx, 73xx.

(c) UselessChristmasFacts'R'Us.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 12-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #1703
danicaca
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley
Ever wondered why the Riverside Alligator Bayou lodges are numbered as they are, starting at 14, and then missing out numbers like 20-23, 30-33, etc?

Well have you?

It was so they didn't clash with the room numbering scheme at French Quarter (which even then was Dixie Landing's sister resort) with room/floor numbering like 11xx, 12xx, 13xx, 21xx, 22xx, 23xx, etc. And that's also why the mansion buildings start at 80 too, because French Quarter used up to 71xx, 72xx, 73xx.

(c) UselessChristmasFacts'R'Us.

Andre
Actually, my husband and I were just wondering this the other day, when one of our friends was telling us which building we want to be in,and we were looking at the map...thanks!
No countdown for now, but a trip in December of this year or perhaps next is in the works - woo hoo!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #1704
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

Quote:

Have you contacted the Guests with Disabilities desk? They may be able to help you, and make this more than a simple "request."
Old 12-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #1705
boocake
Earning My Ears

buses

I have seen some info on other threads that the bus service at POR is not very good. I'm going in January with my 5 year old (just him and myself), and I am so nervous about this for some reason. I think once we are inside the parks, the waiting for rides and stuff will be tolerable, but I am nervous about him waiting in the mornings to get on the bus (the anticipation of getting to the park itself) and whether or not he'll be able to deal. I know kids do this stuff ALL the time, but I've never done Disney transportation so I'm just overly nervous I guess.

Is it true that bus service at other resorts tends to be better with less waiting?
Old 12-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #1706
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Thank you everyone for the advice about the room requests!
Old 12-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #1707
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake View Post
I have seen some info on other threads that the bus service at POR is not very good. I'm going in January with my 5 year old (just him and myself), and I am so nervous about this for some reason. I think once we are inside the parks, the waiting for rides and stuff will be tolerable, but I am nervous about him waiting in the mornings to get on the bus (the anticipation of getting to the park itself) and whether or not he'll be able to deal. I know kids do this stuff ALL the time, but I've never done Disney transportation so I'm just overly nervous I guess.

Is it true that bus service at other resorts tends to be better with less waiting?
I don't really use the buses, but from what I have read all resorts have problems with bus service at times. Each person has a different experience based on whether they arrive right when the bus is coming or just after it left! I've read negative comments about buses for all the resorts, as well as positive ones. So I don't think that POR is any worse than any other resort.

It can be so hard for little kids to wait! Do you have a touring plan or will you be flexible at the parks? If you have a touring plan, you can use that time to talk about your schedule and give him a few options. If you are going to be flexible, ask him the things he wants to do at the park. Maybe by discussing the visit, it will feel more like it has begun. Also, to distract my impatient children, I let them play games on my phone while we wait. The Disney Apps have some trivia questions about Disney movies which could be fun to do while waiting for the bus.
And definitely prepare him ahead of time - talk about how it may be a long wait for the bus, but it will come and you will go to the park. Knowing ahead of time that there will be waiting can be helpful.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #1708
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Little kids?????

I was at the marina at POR and two grown gentlemen sat for two to three minutes, complained about the wait for the next five minutes until the water taxi - as they said - FINALLY showed up.

Really. Seven minutes.......we have become a society of people have forgotten that quiet time is a great time to take in your surroundings and enjoy the ride. It is vacation.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #1709
GATORinaZ28
DIS Dad#764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
Little kids?????
Really. Seven minutes.......we have become a society of people have forgotten that quiet time is a great time to take in your surroundings and enjoy the ride. It is vacation.
That's it right there! Take in Disney and enjoy! I try to enjoy my time there regardless of what's is going on.

71-84 - Contemporary Resort with Grandparents || 01/94 - Off Site @ Disneyland || 06/07 - Contemporary Resort || 02/08 - Caribbean Beach Resort || 05/10 - All-Star Sports / Coronado Springs Resort || 12/10 - Offsite @ DisneyWorld || 11/11 - Port Orleans Riverside || 11/13 - Port Orleans French Quarter || 5/14 Rock Your Disney Side Party / Pop Century || 12/14 Contemporary
Next trip: ???
Old 12-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #1710
boocake
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORinaZ28 View Post
That's it right there! Take in Disney and enjoy! I try to enjoy my time there regardless of what's is going on.
I would 100% agree with this if it were just me, but 5 year olds are not exactly known for their ability to sit back and smell the roses...much less while waiting to go to DISNEYWORLD for the first time in their life...
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: