Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

Disney Dream Stateroom 6088 - PHOTOS

Hi everyone!

Just got back from our trip, and was on the 3/24 Dream sailing. We had a GTY 4D room, and got assign room 6088 which was a handicap accessible room. The room was HUGE!

We are a family of 5 (DH, me, and 3 kids) and the room was big for us. We also had my brother staying in a 5C, and their room really felt cramped after going to our room. So, we ended up always hanging out in our room which fitted our family of 8 comfortably.

Pardon the mess in our room, here are some photos:

Room with all the beds laid out, 1 queen, 2 bunk beds, 1 murphy bed

View of the hallway

We had a fish, not a seahorse

We had a door bell, I noticed not all rooms did.

Since it was an HA room, there was a button inside the room that when pressed opens the door (my 2 yr old loved this). This saved my DH one time, because he was putting stuff outside the door for room service, and was accidentally locked out of the room. He yelled for our 2 yr old to open the door and he was able to! Having said that, because it is a hydraulic door, you can't force it to close faster than it is, which is a bit frustrating.

The door was wide enough to accomodate our side by side stroller easily.

The bathroom didn't have a tub, but had a shower, a foldable bench - which was really helpful for us when giving our kids a bath, because we didn't have to go down on our knees! We just had the kids stand on the bench!

The room did have a locking problem - in that the door doesn't actually lock. So the first day, we'd go back to our room, and wonder why our room was open. They figured it out, and reported it to engineering and they fixed it on day 2.

We loved the room and would stay in it again. No noise, pretty accessible from the mid-ship elevators. It is on the port side, and I have since learned that star board had better views - but since we very rarely used the verandah, it was a non-issue for us.
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

myxdvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
GeneMachine
Mouseketeer

Are guests allowed to select these rooms even if they do not need an HA room? Or do they leave them open until the last moment and offer an "upgrade" when they are certain no guest needs it?

That sure is a huge room! Glad you had a good time!
GeneMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneMachine View Post
Are guests allowed to select these rooms even if they do not need an HA room? Or do they leave them open until the last moment and offer an "upgrade" when they are certain no guest needs it?

That sure is a huge room! Glad you had a good time!
HCA staterooms should be left open and only booked by people with disabilities. They can upgrade you at port or may assign you, as in the OPs case, once they start handing out room assignments.
My DH is handicapped and we actually have this room booked for our cruises in July. We cannot cruise without one of these staterooms, so please be kind and remember this. Okay, now off my soapbox.

OP - These staterooms have doorbells and, if you noticed, lights that blink when the button is pushed (at least they did on the Wonder and Magic). The lights are for people with a hearing loss. The auto door button is incredibly useful so that my DH can get himself out of the door without having to wait for one of us to come and open it. He uses his cane, pushes the button and then lets himself through once the door opens. We love DCL.

Most of the HCA staterooms do not have the tub but have the wheel in shower with the fold-down seats. The Cat. 6 on the Wonder and Magic also had tubs but I think that had more to do with the size of the staterooms and they actually had more room to install them.

Glad you hit the lotto on the stateroom GTY. Those rooms are really nice.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
GeneMachine
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore'sthebest View Post
My DH is handicapped and we actually have this room booked for our cruises in July. We cannot cruise without one of these staterooms, so please be kind and remember this. Okay, now off my soapbox.

I'd never book this, out of courtesy for other guests who require the room. I just couldn't figure out why that isn't the first stateroom booked, based on size and category. I guessed you'd have to "luck" into it, which is not the best way of saying that at all.
GeneMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore'sthebest View Post
OP - These staterooms have doorbells and, if you noticed, lights that blink when the button is pushed (at least they did on the Wonder and Magic). The lights are for people with a hearing loss. The auto door button is incredibly useful so that my DH can get himself out of the door without having to wait for one of us to come and open it. He uses his cane, pushes the button and then lets himself through once the door opens. We love DCL.

[snip]

Glad you hit the lotto on the stateroom GTY. Those rooms are really nice.
Oooh, we didn't notice the lights! And I forgot to mention the auto doors! As soon as you scan your KTTW card (I love that its IR not swipe, BTW), the door opens by itself! Great I'm sure for those with wheelchairs, but equally great for those of us with strollers as well.

I was hoping for an upgrade for my GTY But am glad we got this as well! We had our share of luck and bad luck in this trip for sure!
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

Old 04-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

Quote:
I just couldn't figure out why that isn't the first stateroom booked, based on size and category. I guessed you'd have to "luck" into it, which is not the best way of saying that at all.
This is just a guess on my part. I counted I think 6 of these rooms in our category (CAT 4), which is a Deluxe Family Oceanview with Verandah. There are also some (6?) in the Deluxe Family Oceanview.

From what I hear from people with a family of 5 (which is when you HAVE to go to the Family staterooms), most choose to book 2 rooms instead of going with the family one. And it's true, I can imagine that if the room wasn't HCA and 3 grown kids (instead of my 2, 4, 6), the regular room would have been tight. So, I'm guessing that for those who does need 5 in a room, they would have gone with the no verandah first, then the verandah cause it is cheaper.

But obviously, I am guessing Our sailing supposedly was full capacity...
June 2014 HHI

Old 04-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
I'd never book this, out of courtesy for other guests who require the room. I just couldn't figure out why that isn't the first stateroom booked, based on size and category. I guessed you'd have to "luck" into it, which is not the best way of saying that at all.
Thank you! And I know what you meant.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
AlwaysDisney4Us
Earning My Ears

WOW! That is spectactular. I am glad to see that DCL has looked out for every type of traveler.

AlwaysDisney4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
Favorite Auntie
8 Disney nieces & nephews!
I'm in the loop now!
The real question should be WHEN do they sleep??
The TF's friend

My parents have this room booked for our cruise in January 2014. My mom uses a walker and can't get in and out of the tub, so it is a necessity for her. I have the room next door, which I believe is adjoining? I try to get adjoining rooms with them because that way I can help them out and check up on them.

MANY IN BETWEEN!!!

Favorite Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #10
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favorite Auntie View Post
My parents have this room booked for our cruise in January 2014. My mom uses a walker and can't get in and out of the tub, so it is a necessity for her. I have the room next door, which I believe is adjoining? I try to get adjoining rooms with them because that way I can help them out and check up on them.
I was surprised to see an update on this old thread!

If you have 6086, then yes it is an adjoining room. Enjoy!
June 2014 HHI

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: