Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
mom4fun
DIS Veteran

back 2 back 2 months apart

We will be taking our first cruise at the end of January, 3 night Dream on an empty ship, 2 months later we will be on a 4 night Dream cruise on a very full spring break cruise. What I want to know is what should I try to get out of the way on the first cruise and what should I save to do on the second cruise in terms of excursions. We like to stay busy and are a family of me, DH and DS age 12. Obviously we will have the latest booking window since we have never cruised.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

How do you know that your cruises are either empty or full at this point? or that they will still be at cruising time? I do get that if they are offering a *GT special now you can guess that it isn't full or that if prices have doubled, you can guess that it is filling. However, the penalty dates for spring break cruises are approaching now and people are dropping out.

I'd try for anything you have your heart set on at the first cruise--Palo, Remy, a particular excursion or spa appointment...knowing that you'll have another shot at it on the second. See the shows the first time. The second time, you can see them again if you wish OR use that time to ride the Duck or whatever because it is not crowded then.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
mom4fun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
How do you know that your cruises are either empty or full at this point? or that they will still be at cruising time? I do get that if they are offering a *GT special now you can guess that it isn't full or that if prices have doubled, you can guess that it is filling. However, the penalty dates for spring break cruises are approaching now and people are dropping out.

I'd try for anything you have your heart set on at the first cruise--Palo, Remy, a particular excursion or spa appointment...knowing that you'll have another shot at it on the second. See the shows the first time. The second time, you can see them again if you wish OR use that time to ride the Duck or whatever because it is not crowded then.
The first cruise does have GT rates and the second cruise has no availability left for children and the price is very, very high.Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

See if either of those dates, probably the first, has an inexpensive rate for a room at Atlantis or Comfort Suites Paradise Island (next door to Atlantis with full access to Atlantis pools, waterpark, aquarium, and food). If you can get a room for around $200, a little more after taxes and automatic gratuities and resort fees, you can use Atlantis for far less than the cost of a Disney excursion. It is an easy cab ride, don't take the water taxi as they are a horrible waste of time. You won't actually use the room to do anything but change clothes, but you can enjoy the waterpark for 1/3 the cost of going with DCL.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
mom4fun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers View Post
See if either of those dates, probably the first, has an inexpensive rate for a room at Atlantis or Comfort Suites Paradise Island (next door to Atlantis with full access to Atlantis pools, waterpark, aquarium, and food). If you can get a room for around $200, a little more after taxes and automatic gratuities and resort fees, you can use Atlantis for far less than the cost of a Disney excursion. It is an easy cab ride, don't take the water taxi as they are a horrible waste of time. You won't actually use the room to do anything but change clothes, but you can enjoy the waterpark for 1/3 the cost of going with DCL.
The problem with Atlantis for the January cruise is, I have heard the water is too cold. I thought that might be better in April. Great idea though.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4fun View Post
The problem with Atlantis for the January cruise is, I have heard the water is too cold. I thought that might be better in April. Great idea though.
When we did Atlantis in Jan the water wasnt too cold, its heated...it was the air temp that was the problem. It was a windy overcast day, so standing around wet was a little chilly.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

ITA that your January cruise will not be close to empty when you board. We have taken advantage of two last minute KSF deals for January cruises, both a 3 and a 7-night, and both of those were as full as our cruises that have sold out long before and didn't offer deals.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: