Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #76
gogo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
OP, I think this was the post that got people worked up.
It really does not take much to get people worked up here! I still cannot figure out where the OP stated that he would be upset or unhappy it he didn't get an upgrade. It appeared to me that he asked if Disney ever gave them ( a very legitimate question). Really amazing some of the responses

To a previous poster who stated that Dis veterans don't sugar coat anything, that's fine to give straightforward replies but it is just the rude, condesending ones that are out of line.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #77
nuge67
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
OP, I think this was the post that got people worked up.
I admit that may have seemed a bit strong to some, but I just felt attacked for asking a question, if that sounds silly.

I am here looking for help, ideas and suggestions from what feel is the best Disney forum on the net, that's all.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #78
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuge67 View Post
I travel a great deal for work and many times I have received great upgrades, even suites, by just asking. So I figured that may be a possibility here as well but I guess not.

I do not care or need a preferred room to enjoy my stay, but I didn't know if was even worth asking for if those so called perferred rooms are still available sitting there empty.
We were upgraded to pool view from standard for free simply by asking if they had any rooms closer to the food court than originally given to us. The front desk cm had to call house keeping to change our room assignement since we were there before 3pm. No charge for the upgrade. Is this normal? No, we just lucked out. Out of 15 ish trips that's the only upgrade we ever got except for a view upgrade because someone was still in the room they checked us into back in 1996.

It doesn't hurt to ask, yes many hotels give them, but not WDW. They are booked all the time and just don't have the room to do it.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #79
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuge67 View Post
I admit that may have seemed a bit strong to some, but I just felt attacked for asking a question, if that sounds silly.

I am here looking for help, ideas and suggestions from what feel is the best Disney forum on the net, that's all.
The first 2 responses were 100% polite IMO. The snarkier responses came after that second post. I can't think of a word to appropriately describe the way the post came off, honestly... but I think the responses the post provoked only mimicked the way it was written.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #80
SharonZ
DIS Veteran

Whether you "ask" or "hint" about an upgrade, aren't you still looking for something for free? Book what you can afford and you won't be disappointed.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #81
gogo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonZ View Post
Whether you "ask" or "hint" about an upgrade, aren't you still looking for something for free? Book what you can afford and you won't be disappointed.
The OP never said he would be disappointed if he didn't get an upgrade or anything for free. Again, OP just asked if Disney did this. I like how a lot of posts suggest that he will be upset or disappointed if he doesn't get an upgrade.

Did it ever occur to anyone that OP was asking this question to see if this, in fact, is done at Disney? I keep looking for where OP said he will not vacation at Disney if he doesn't get any freebies or that he will be disappointed.

IMO, looking for something free is different than asking if a hotel, resort or even Disney gives out upgrades occasionally. Isn't this the place to come to obtain information regarding Disney. He asked if this is done. He didn't say he would demand it, be disappointed or have his vacation ruined if he didn't receive anything. HE APPEARED TO BE JUST ASKING IF THIS IS DONE.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #82
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post
The OP never said he would be disappointed if he didn't get an upgrade or anything for free. Again, OP just asked if Disney did this. I like how a lot of posts suggest that he will be upset or disappointed if he doesn't get an upgrade.

Did it ever occur to anyone that OP was asking this question to see if this, in fact, is done at Disney? I keep looking for where OP said he will not vacation at Disney if he doesn't get any freebies or that he will be disappointed.

IMO, looking for something free is different than asking if a hotel, resort or even Disney gives out upgrades occasionally. Isn't this the place to come to obtain information regarding Disney. He asked if this is done. He didn't say he would demand it, be disappointed or have his vacation ruined if he didn't receive anything. HE APPEARED TO BE JUST ASKING IF THIS IS DONE.
I'm not sure why I keep getting drawn to this thread....

Buuuuttttt.....as a few other posts have pointed out, it was not the first post that people are inferring things from...it was the OP second post, where he stated that it is just "good customer service" to provide something for nothing...so, in effect...implying that it is poor customer service not to do so.

I guess it's all in how you look at it. I thought nothing of the first question...but then the follow up question/statement had me baffled...because good customer service to me means providing the service paid for with a smile.

A free upgrade or the like, would be completely unexpected and would probably mean exceptional customer service for the provider having gone above and beyond expectations. Just my opinion...

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 12-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #83
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

I think a thread's about done when there's nothing left to do but debate semantics. Time to bring this to a close.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: