Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #31
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
This doesn't have to be an "end of the world" expense. There are hotels that offer good packages. For example, DCL transfers are $70 per person round trip. 2 one way car rentals will cost about $140 with taxes, fees, tolls, gas, etc. OK, the Hyatt Place hotel offers a "stay and cruise" package which includes an overnight stay, GOOD breakfast the next morning, and round trip cruise transportation for up to 4 people in addition to their shuttle to/from MCO. The price on this varies with the dates, but for us it was $121. I've seen it as "high" as $150. Um....that's the price of 2 round trip transfers on DCL. If there are 4 if you, it's a saving of real money.

They Wyngate offers a similar package, but Hyatt Place is cheaper and better.
Thank you so much, I had been looking into car rentals as they were cheaper than the DCL transfers, but had never thought about a stay and cruise package. That sounds like a really good option.

I probably wrote it poorly, but it wasn't this one thing that means we might have to wait longer it was the entire package price of the Disney cruise in general, it seems like everywhere I looked there was extra charges (cars, hotels, tips, excursions etc). But I still have a lot to learn and am reading other threads right now about IGT rates and such. This whole forum has already given me tons of info - thanks all!

DH me DS 10 DD 8

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #32
SnowWhite2
DIS Veteran

I work with a guy who had a cruise booked in Oct on RCCL and purchased air through them. He was on an early flight the morning of the cruise. His flight was delayed due to mechanical problems....for 4 hours. He was not able to get on another flight in time and missed the cruise. RCCL made him deal with the airline to get the air fare refunded and RCCL was very difficult when trying to get his money back on the cruise portion...even with their travel insurance.

Flights are booked solid - almost every flight. If you miss your flight, there isn't enough excess capacity to get you to your location the same day without some serious luck.

Please consider getting to Florida the day before. We have even taken the last flight out in the evening just to get to Orlando by the next morning. We figured if it was cancelled, we would have a jump on booking the next morning.

I have also been known to book full fare Southwest flights the morning of our cruise just in case something happens to the night before flight. Once we complete our flight the night before, I cancel the Southwest flights for the next day. Full fare tickets are fully refundable so I don't lose any money. Learned that trick when I was on a USAir flight and they were talking about striking the day before we were leaving. I was not going to get left behind. The nice folks at Southwest suggested I book before the strike got too close. The strike never happened but I'm now a loyal Southwest flier.

December 28, 2014 NYE Magic
November 10, 2014 Dream double-dip
June 9, 2014 Alaska Wonder
December 28, 2013 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2012 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2011 NYE Dream
December 26, 2009 NYE Magic
December 20, 2008 Christmas Magic
February 2, 2008 Eastern Magic
February 3, 2007 Eastern Magic
April 15, 2006 Western Magic
February 2003 Eastern Magic
SnowWhite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #33
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Two hours would have me freaking out. We always figure in at least one night before the cruise date to fly in. And with trip insurance we have a little more piece of mind if weather (or something else) should delays us to the point of missing part or all of our trip. We have had a flight delays that were several hours long that would have caused us to miss our cruise if we flew in the day of departure.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, Port Canaveral/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #34
crazydiamond
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I changed flights to the day before, and got a family suite room at the Country Inn and Suites at the port for $100. We canceled the first leg of DCL transportation, saved $140 and found a private limo service which will take us to hotel, and then come back in the morning to take us to cruise all for $100.

Live and learn. Thanks again.
crazydiamond is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: