Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #16
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

Just got off Fantasy on Saturday. We did Stingray City (snorkel and sail) in Grand Cayman -- a bucket list item for me, and it was great. The catamaran that got us there (via DCL port adventures) was very nice and even had a bar (if you wanted something more than water or lemonade). Motored on the way out and sailed back in. Plenty of room for everyone.

We did the Dolphin Swim at Dolphinarus in Cozumel -- DW's bucket list, and it was incredible. Painfully expensive (about $160 per person, and we have two kids, too!) but a wonderful experience -- hug, kiss, pet and ride dolphins. Even had a couple of babies in our part of the "pool." Only problem is that they won't let you take your own pictures...but conveniently have a photographer and videographer there with you -- ha!

DW and DD10 went to Mayan ruins in Costa Maya with other family and enjoyed it. DD8 and I did the glass bottom boat/snorkel tour with some other family, and it was flat-out awful. Didn't help that it was overcast and rained a bit, but not hard to see that it would have been a rough trip even with great weather. Water was seeping into the "glass bottom" area and we were all shoulder to shoulder. The people sitting next to me agreed and said something about how they should have checked Yelp a little closer before booking that excursion -- how true! On our next cruise, I'll definitely ask about potential excursions here on the Disboards (at a minimum) before booking.

Last edited by Kimosabe; 12-18-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Kimosabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #17
FoundinWonderland
Still spinning from the mad tea party...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimosabe
Just got off Fantasy on Saturday. We did Stingray City (snorkel and sail) in Grand Cayman -- a bucket list item for me, and it was great. The catamaran that got us there (via DCL port adventures) was very nice and even had a bar (if you wanted something more than water or lemonade). Motored on the way out and sailed back in. Plenty of room for everyone.

We did the Dolphin Swim at Dolphinarus in Cozumel -- DW's bucket list, and it was incredible. Painfully expensive (about $160 per person, and we have two kids, too!) but a wonderful experience -- hug, kiss, pet and ride dolphins. Even had a couple of babies in our part of the "pool." Only problem is that they won't let you take your own pictures...but conveniently have a photographer and videographer there with you -- ha!

DW and DD10 went to Mayan ruins in Costa Maya with other family and enjoyed it. DD8 and I did the glass bottom boat/snorkel tour with some other family, and it was flat-out awful. Didn't help that it was overcast and rained a bit, but not hard to see that it would have been a rough trip even with great weather. Water was seeping into the "glass bottom" area and we were all shoulder to shoulder. The people sitting next to me agreed and said something about how they should have checked Yelp a little closer before booking that excursion -- how true! On our next cruise, I'll definitely ask about potential excursions here on the Disboards (at a minimum) before booking.
Wow thank you so much! Ill definably avoid the glass bottom boat- but that snorkel and sail in Grand Cayman sounds great! I know you booked it through Disney- was the group big? How many people per boat?
FoundinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #18
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

I can second the vote for Rio Secreto. My wife, daughters, and I loved it.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #19
FoundinWonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers
I can second the vote for Rio Secreto. My wife, daughters, and I loved it.
Thanks! If you don't mind my asking: How old are your daughters?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #20
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundinWonderland View Post
...that snorkel and sail in Grand Cayman sounds great! I know you booked it through Disney- was the group big? How many people per boat?
Seems like there might have been 30+ people on the boat, but the catamaran was quite large and we never felt crowded. They allow you to lay out on the strap "netting" across the front part of the boat, which was plenty strong to hold quite a few adults and kids, so people were spread out all over the boat, from the front netting to the bench seats all around the back and middle of the boat. Some of the middle seating is even covered if shade is your thing.

As for stingray city itself, two of the crew got in the water with the group and were very helpful in getting "up close and personal" with the stingrays. I guess they had some food in their hands, but basically had some big stingrays resting on their arms, which made it much easier for the rest of us to "pet" these wonderful creatures.

And for the record, there were also two bathrooms on board!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #21
mrs stevenson
Mouseketeer

We are recently off the fantasy and our best day was costa maya, we caught a cab to Tropicante ( check out their website) and had an awesome afternoon, we emailed Steve the owner and reserved spots- in facts in the end we filled the place. We spent about 5 hours there and our bill was 60 dollars including a ton of drinks, lovely food and a one hour massage. Steve and is staff cannot do enough for you, food was great and the setting was stunning. We will definitely be going back.
mrs stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #22
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
My girls are 14 and 12, both now and when we did the cruise in March
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #23
FoundinWonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs stevenson
We are recently off the fantasy and our best day was costa maya, we caught a cab to Tropicante ( check out their website) and had an awesome afternoon, we emailed Steve the owner and reserved spots- in facts in the end we filled the place. We spent about 5 hours there and our bill was 60 dollars including a ton of drinks, lovely food and a one hour massage. Steve and is staff cannot do enough for you, food was great and the setting was stunning. We will definitely be going back.
A good day in costa maya can be hard to find so thank you for the suggestion! I will look it up
Old 12-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #24
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It is great for many ages, when we did there were kids as young as 4-5 on it and they did great. It really is like one of the best excurisions you can do.

Trip advisor has a ton of positive reviews, and like no one on here has had a bad thing to say about it.

The lunch they feed you is also really good and you have choices.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: