Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

Nyquil

This is going to sound like a silly/insane question, unless you're in my family and then it still sounds kinda' nutty.

I have sleeping issues (I work NOC shift and my sleep schedule is off.). My doctor won't prescribe me a sleeping pill, she said "if Nyquil is working, keeping using it." My mom has sleeping issues as well, and her doctor said the same thing. Last cruise I went on with my dad I thought I could leave the Nyquil at home because I was on vacation. That didn't work out well (I would wake up at 0400 and read until 0600, then go to bed at like midnight.). With my mom and I, I think Nyquil will be needed.

Here's the question: How much is a bottle on board the ship? We're going to be packing wine and taking it with us, so I could bring a bottle of the 'quil in the suitcase if it will be a ton.

:D
Old 12-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

I take Benadryl pills with me, both b/c I have allergic reactions to food and to sleep if I needed it. Do those work for you? Much easier to carry.

And don't worry about the sleeping issues sounding silly. It runs in my family is a big deal to us. My mom can take Ambien CR and only sleep 4 hours.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeans1010 View Post
This is going to sound like a silly/insane question, unless you're in my family and then it still sounds kinda' nutty.

I have sleeping issues (I work NOC shift and my sleep schedule is off.). My doctor won't prescribe me a sleeping pill, she said "if Nyquil is working, keeping using it." My mom has sleeping issues as well, and her doctor said the same thing. Last cruise I went on with my dad I thought I could leave the Nyquil at home because I was on vacation. That didn't work out well (I would wake up at 0400 and read until 0600, then go to bed at like midnight.). With my mom and I, I think Nyquil will be needed.

Here's the question: How much is a bottle on board the ship? We're going to be packing wine and taking it with us, so I could bring a bottle of the 'quil in the suitcase if it will be a ton.

:D
Have you tried melatonin?
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Have you tried Melatonin? I have heard others have great success with it. I also have sleep issues, but NyQuil wakes me up after 3 hours and doesn't let me get back to sleep, even of I take more.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
sambycat
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't depend on NyQuil being available even if they do sell it and if this is something that you need, I would bring it along. You might try the capsule NyQuil before you go and see if that helps.

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
MissManda
DIS Veteran

I'm surprised that a doctor would recommend Nyquil over a regular sleep aid since it has other cold fighting ingredients in it that you may not need.

Regardless, If I were you, I would plan on taking whatever sleep aid you need with you.

Have you ever tried melatonin? I have sleep issues and this has worked really well for me. I've tried other sleep aids before but this one is the only one that I really wake up from feeling awake and not still half drugged.

Also, Nyquil makes a sleep aid now called zzzQuil. Not sure what's in it, but might be worth it for you to look into since you use Nyquil already.

1st Trip- May 2009- CBR
2nd Trip- Sept 2010- POFQ- MNSSHP
3rd Trip-June 2012- Offsite condo.
4th Trip- possibly a solo??? TBD
MissManda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
phoenixleigh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissManda
Also, Nyquil makes a sleep aid now called zzzQuil. Not sure what's in it, but might be worth it for you to look into since you use Nyquil already.
I was thinking the same thing. Since it is in pill form you will not have to worry about it being in your carry on. Also I have taken benadryl(sp?) to help me sleep but I also have allergy problems

Last edited by phoenixleigh; 12-19-2012 at 01:21 PM.
phoenixleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

So bring it with me. Cool. Thanks for the responses. I knew if I posted here there would be someone who gets the bad sleep thing.

I can't take Zzzquil or Benadryl because it has something in it called diphahydramine (sp?) which I have a historically/comically bad allergic reaction to (it makes me hyper or I wake up-after bad sleep- beating the crow out of my pillow.). Like my reaction to diphahydramine is a standard joke at the ER where I work "Keep it away from Kim!" :D I have tried everything. Certain melatonin makes me itchy. I may bring Mid-nite. Zzzquil also makes my mom feel weird afterwards. She feels out of sorts for three days.

Yep I am a freak with sleep meds. My doctor won't prescribe me Ambien because I'm a known sleep eater to begin with (explains the belly.). So I won't depend on Disney for the Nyquil.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
bcla
DIS Veteran

Nyquil doesn't contain diphenhydramine. It contains doxylamine as the antihistamine and sleep inducer. You can purchase doxylamine pills that don't contain any other active ingredients. I personally can't take it. It end up feeling really bad once I wake up. I wake up a little groggy from diphenhydramine, but not too bad.

If you've got issues with diphenhydramine, there's also chlorphenamine.

If you really want something that works, there's zolpidem (Ambien). It's been generic for several years, so it's pretty cheap compared to when it was under patent. Its main advantage is that it clears from the system quickly so one doesn't wake up groggy.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: