Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
drischar
Mouseketeer

AMEX travel insurance enough?

I am just starting to look into travel insurance for our May 2013, 4-night Bahamas Dream cruise. We will be driving to the port (no flights). We have never bought travel insurance. We have an AMEX credit card, platinum, I believe. My husband thinks that AMEX provides some travel insurance for cardholders. I plan to call their office about this tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me more about AMEX coverage or point me to an older thread where it may have been discussed?
drischar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drischar View Post
I am just starting to look into travel insurance for our May 2013, 4-night Bahamas Dream cruise. We will be driving to the port (no flights). We have never bought travel insurance. We have an AMEX credit card, platinum, I believe. My husband thinks that AMEX provides some travel insurance for cardholders. I plan to call their office about this tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me more about AMEX coverage or point me to an older thread where it may have been discussed?
To my knowledge, the Amex coverage that is included with your card covers things like lost/damaged luggage and rental car issues. It's not trip cancellation or medical expense insurance. Amex does offer regular trip insurance to cover trip cancellation or medical expenses, but I believe there's an extra charge for it. There might be an ultra-premium card that includes that coverage.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
Blanche_Neige
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I would highly recommend that you contact AMEX yourself as they are better suited to discuss their coverage.

I would not rely on what people posted as policy/coverage change from year to year and also the type of card your have.
Jan 2008 - ASMovies
Jan 2009 - ASMovies
Jan 2010 - ASMusic
Sept 2010- ASMovies & Disney Wonder (1st cruise)
March 2011- All Star Sports + 1st trip to US offsite
Oct 2011 - Dream + POP + MNSSHP
March 2012 - US offsite + DTD shopping spree
Feb 2013 - Disneyland off site 1st time!
March 2014 - DCL Dream
March 2015 - ASMusic
Blanche_Neige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
suffieldhockeymom
DIS Veteran

We bought travel insurance from AMEX for our cruise this past summer. It was very good coverage for a reasonable charge. The kids were free and each adult was $89 or $98. It is based upon your total trip cost. I would call them and speak to the travel department. I use AVOYA/AMEX travel as my agent.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
n8tivecaligirl
Mouseketeer

Also sometimes AMEX only covers travel that you paid for on your card. So I agree with the Other Posters that you need to call AMEX and find out what your card covers.

n8tivecaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
Cmbar
DIS Veteran

OP would you mind posting what you found out. We also have Amex but I think I would be paying with our Disney card to earn the Disney dollars.

Thanks for any information if you find out more!
VBR and VGF August,2014, AKV Jambo Dec 2013, Wonder-Alaska Jul 13, Fantasy Jun-12, BCV Jan-11, Dream! Apr 3,2011, Western Magic DCL-Oct 30-2010,POP/BCV -June 10 SSR-Jan 10, BLT-Nov 09, POP June 09, All Star Sports Mar 09, Western Magic - Nov 08 SSR/Marriott Cypress Harbour Jul-08, GF-Nov 07, WL-Nov 06, CBR -Feb 06 POFQ/BWV -Feb 05, POP-Mar 04, DoubleTree DTD, Mar 03, POR-Mar 01 Dixie Landings (POR) HONEYMOON -Oct 1992

Cmbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
jkrislc
DIS Veteran

Just note that insurance offered by the AMEX card is different than AMEX insurance purchased separately. From past research, unless you have the high end AMEX card with the annual fee of several hundred dollars, the only insurance you get is related to baggage, airlines, rental cars, etc. the AMEX insurance you buy separately is traditional travel insurance which I have bought in the past and using for my cruise in a couple of weeks as it is fully refundable up until departure (good for those of us who book far in advance and there's a chance of cancellation).
jkrislc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
n8tivecaligirl
Mouseketeer

Here's what I looked up under my card (AMEX Delta Reserve)
Mine says "Travel accident insurance can provide you and eligible family members with added security and peace of mind when you travel. Simply charge the ENTIRE FARE of a "Common Carrier Conveyance" (plane, train, ship, helicopter or bus) to your eligible card and you and eligible family members can be covered for accidental death and dismemberment insurance at no additional charge." I am also able to get $1250 for carry on baggage and $500 for checked (I think that should be the other way around though) again only if I paid for the trip on my card. I can purchase additional coverage for Car rental, trip, baggage, flight, medical and trip delay. (All purchased separately).
I always pay my trips on this card anyway so it looks like I am covered a little bit. I pay them $400 a year to have this card too... (It has been worth it for me though it may not be worth it for other people) Hope this helps!

n8tivecaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
drischar
Mouseketeer

I just spoke with someone at AMEX and the card I carry will provide some rental car insurance and an Accidental Death & Dismemberment benefit, when the card is used to pay for the full fare of the travel.

So, I will be looking at additional travel insurance coverage and I will consider what AMEX offers as paid coverage in addition to other options. I have already paid our deposit with a different credit card, Disney Visa for the rewards dollars, not sure of what effect that may have.

Our card is a Delta SkyMiles Platinum AMEX, which does have an annual fee (approx. $100 per year?). I include this detail simply because cardholder travel benefits are likely specific to each type of card.
drischar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
2CME911
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I just spoke with someone at AMEX and the card I carry will provide some rental car insurance and an Accidental Death & Dismemberment benefit, when the card is used to pay for the full fare of the travel.

So, I will be looking at additional travel insurance coverage and I will consider what AMEX offers as paid coverage in addition to other options. I have already paid our deposit with a different credit card, Disney Visa for the rewards dollars, not sure of what effect that may have.

Our card is a Delta SkyMiles Platinum AMEX, which does have an annual fee (approx. $100 per year?). I include this detail simply because cardholder travel benefits are likely specific to each type of card.
Absolutely correct OP. Each card carries a different set of features and benefits. Best to get a real person at AMEX tell you what yours are.

I recommend trying www.squaremouth.com to compare different travel policies and providers. AMEX will be one of them, and you can compare and contrast that with the competition, hopefully make a better decision. Best luck!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: