Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
Dawg91
Mouseketeer

Any point in getting to port early??

We cruise TOMORROW!

Our check in time is 11:30-12:00. Is there any point in getting there before, say, 11:00? Will we be standing around or might we get to board earlier?

Thanks for the info!!
Dawg91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg91 View Post
We cruise TOMORROW!

Our check in time is 11:30-12:00. Is there any point in getting there before, say, 11:00? Will we be standing around or might we get to board earlier?

Thanks for the info!!
Your boarding number is already tied to your arrival time you selected. So getting there at 11 or 11:30 will get you on the ship at the same time.
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Your boarding number is tied to your port arrival time, so not likely you'd get onboard much sooner by arriving earlier but you would probably hang around the terminal a little more. Boarding typically begins around 11:30 or 11:45 and the crowds in the terminal have diminished by noon or shortly thereafter. If you arrive around 11:30 you will likely have a relatively short wait after you go through check-in until they call your boarding number.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
Dawg91
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy
Your boarding number is tied to your port arrival time, so not likely you'd get onboard much sooner by arriving earlier but you would probably hang around the terminal a little more. Boarding typically begins around 11:30 or 11:45 and the crowds in the terminal have diminished by noon or shortly thereafter. If you arrive around 11:30 you will likely have a relatively short wait after you go through check-in until they call your boarding number.

Enjoy your cruise!
And this is why I love Disboards! Ask and ye shall receive - within minutes!!!

We have very high hopes for our first Disney cruise!!

Thanks so much for the speedy reply!!
Dawg91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

They do play videos in the waiting areas though. I watched my favorite Disney movie as we were waiting... Unfortunately it was right at the sad part of "Dumbo" and my dad and I are both criers....
Old 12-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwhitney View Post
Your boarding number is already tied to your arrival time you selected. So getting there at 11 or 11:30 will get you on the ship at the same time.
This is true in OP's situation of 11 vs. 11:30. However, it is not true if you have a later port arrival time.

For instance, if you have a 2:00-2:30 arrival time, you may have a number 29 boarding card. However, it it totally possible that by 12:30 or 1:00 they will have announced "open boarding" which means that all numbers may board. Thus, if you arrive at 12:30, you'll be able to check in when you arrive and board shortly thereafter with little or no waiting.

Actually, 12:30-1 is sort of a "sweet spot" for those with later arrival times. If you show up then, the lines from the early boarding times are gone or nearly so, and the bus traffic from WDW has not arrived yet. It is the perfect time to show up and board with minimal or no waiting regardless of your scheduled time.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

The OP might already be enroute and not checking this anymore, but in any event, I had a similar question a couple of weeks ago. We had an 11:00 to 11:30 arrival time and decided to get to the terminal around 10:30. By the time we unloaded all of our luggage, parked in the parking deck, went through security (nine of us, including five kids aged 15 mos. to 10 yrs), checked-in, got the kids checked-in at the youth activities desk and got a picture with whatever Mouse is there at the moment (Mickey and Minnie alternate), our boarding number was already being called and we went right on the ship.

In other words, there are a few things that have to get done at the terminal before you get on the ship, all of which can be done prior to your "arrival time." How much there is to do obviously depends on the size and ages of your party, but as we wanted to maximize our time on the ship on the first day, getting there half an hour early was most helpful to the cause.

By noon, some of us were already enjoying lunch in Cabanas while others were scattered across the ship to confirm or update reservations for Palo, spa treatments, port adventures, etc. (As two families travelling together -- one silver CC and one first-time -- our pre-cruise attempts to get everything together was not always successful.) For example, DW and I had tried to book a couples massage online, but they were sold out before silver CC members could even try to book. We tried to get it for the weeks to follow, in hopes that someone had canceled, but no luck. However, the DCL operators told us to go straight to the spa and ask when we got on the ship, as sometimes they don't know how many masseuses will be available until it is actually cruise time. I went to the spa and they did indeed have an opening AND on the day we wanted it (a day at sea).

Morale of the story: the early bird gets the massage.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: