Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #16
DL1957
DIS Veteran

DH and I have sailed 7 times on the Magic and have two more cruises booked on this ship for 2013! There are some things that are the same as the other ships but are still different. We enjoy reading a book on deck 4 and watching all of the walkers/joggers go by. The shows are a must see if this is your first cruise. For all of us who call the Magic "our ship" DH and I equate to DL vs WDW. DL has something special that the other parks do not and I believe one reason is because it was the first. My other thought is that Walt built DL and was not with us for the other parks and he oversaw the Magic from Heaven. Many of the crew have been on the Magic for over 10 years. Some have gone on to the other ships but from what I understand you will find more of the original servers on this ship than the others.
Enjoy your trip we have been sailing since 1999 and everytime we are going to do something else with our vacation time we book another DCL trip!
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #17
MrsPotatoHead425
Mouseketeer

We've only sailed on the Magic once so far and LOVED it! Diversions has chips, salsa and some other goodies in the afternoon and also late at night. The Guest Service deck has a hidden mickey challenge you can ask for. We loved eating breakfast and lunch at Lumiere's also.. something we didn't realize could even be done until we were mid-way through our cruise and we ordered lots of Mickey Bars from room service, even though it isn't on the menu. But our #1 thing, is sitting in a lounge chair on deck 4!!

Disney Magic - 02.05.13
Disney Magic - 05.18.12
MrsPotatoHead425 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #18
goeva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
Lots. It is very interesting. For example the seam, which you can find easily on Deck four, is called the ships belly button. Flounder's reef was added in a space once used as a galley (on the Wonder this retrofit was done while crossing the Atlantic to avoid delaying its maiden voyage more). My favorite bit of trivia is why are they allowed fireworks when no other cruise line carries fireworks. Anybody else know?
Fireworks Patents? This is tough...I'd love to know the answer to this.

MeDH DD DS

Last edited by goeva; 12-19-2012 at 12:24 PM.
goeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #19
SparklesofHope
Earning My Ears

Thank you to those who have posted! I realize many of these favorite activities are subjective, however, as a first-time Disney Magic cruiser, ANY and ALL tips are welcome!

We've added a few more:

Magic Must-Do's

1. Adult only pool
2. Lumiere's restaurant (Breakfast and Lunch too!)
3. Secret Deck 7
4. Art of the Theme Ship Tour
5. Fish Extenders
6. Magnetic Door Decorations
7. Animator's Palate
8. Reading a Book/People watching/Lounging on Deck 4
9. The Shows
10. Diversions--Chips, salsa, and other goodies
11. Hidden Mickey Challenge (Guest Services)
12. Mickey Bars from Room Service

Looking forward to all of this next June!

Anyone else like to add?

WDW 1984; Christmas 2010 Hilton Bonnet Creek
Disneyland, CA--Too many to count!
1st DCL cruise--Magic in the Med 6/2013
SparklesofHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #20
neg58
DIS Veteran

Is the Art of the Theme tour one you have to sign up for at Guest Services or is it in the navigator? I'm going on the Wonder, and have a list started of the things I need to take care of at Guest Services because if I don't write them down I'll forget something.

Tea Party
Gingerbread House making
Art of the Theme
putting GC on my account

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #21
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58
Is the Art of the Theme tour one you have to sign up for at Guest Services or is it in the navigator? I'm going on the Wonder, and have a list started of the things I need to take care of at Guest Services because if I don't write them down I'll forget something.

Tea Party
Gingerbread House making
Art of the Theme
putting GC on my account

Nancy
In the navigator
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #22
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
Is the Art of the Theme tour one you have to sign up for at Guest Services or is it in the navigator?
This tour is offered several times throughout the cruise. Just check the Navigator for the time and place to meet. On both our Wonder and Magic cruises, the meeting place was Palo. We enjoyed both tours!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #23
disprincess4ever
DIS Veteran

I'm so curious now, what's the special reason that Disney is the only cruise line allowed to have fireworks.

Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #24
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disprincess4ever
I'm so curious now, what's the special reason that Disney is the only cruise line allowed to have fireworks.
We were told technically they filed paperwork and are a very small navy. Because they are a navy they can have explosives on board.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #25
gusdmh
Mouseketeer

Beer

Speaking for myself, it was the tequila and martini tasting seminars (for $/pp per seminar). There were beer, wine, & whiskey seminars also.
gusdmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #26
goeva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher

We were told technically they filed paperwork and are a very small navy. Because they are a navy they can have explosives on board.
How interesting. Thanks for sharing.

MeDH DD DS
goeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #27
SnowWhite2
DIS Veteran

Ooh, never heard about the fireworks story on any of our Art of the Theme tours. Can't wait to do the tour on the Fantasy in 1 1/2 weeks!

I know this sounds weird but....check out the bathrooms outside Diversions and the bathrooms outside of Palo. Both are very unique.

December 28, 2014 NYE Magic
November 10, 2014 Dream double-dip
June 9, 2014 Alaska Wonder
December 28, 2013 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2012 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2011 NYE Dream
December 26, 2009 NYE Magic
December 20, 2008 Christmas Magic
February 2, 2008 Eastern Magic
February 3, 2007 Eastern Magic
April 15, 2006 Western Magic
February 2003 Eastern Magic
SnowWhite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #28
lindylou2_2002
Mouseketeer

We were on the same 2 Cruises as Bats and can second the reccommendation for the tour company she used. Think there were about 5 or 6 minivans and everything went like clockwork.

The DCL excursians are very expensive but you do have the peace of mind that the ship wont leave with out you. But for places From Ville France the train was very convinient and didnt involve us being off the boat for a huge amount of time.

We did have to tender For Ville France and I think one other port but think Naples and Roma were walk of the ship no tender.

I would suggest joining the cruise meet up post for your cruise and maybe hook your children up with some monitored emails from age approprate children also travelling on your cruise. It is a great way to ease them in to it especially as they have never cruised before as the kids clubs are great but can be a bit daunting at first.

Let the children order from room service is great fun but make sure you have some bills to tip room service with. They can order hot food and that inclued in the cost, but if they order bagged chips or candy or anything like that it will be added to your room bill. My girls loved ordering from room service it made them feel very grown up.

We love the Magic and it is the only ship we have been on so far. Wouldnt bother with the rain forest room pass as that area of the ship is a bit tired and dated. (ship is going in for a referb at the end of the med season, and it places it shows) but dont worry, it is just that she is in constant use but thousands of people with not much dry dock action in 14 years only every couple of years or so, although the last time she went in was 2010 I think as it was right after our 1st cruise.
As Bats says anything you want to know about the european cruise that we can help you with im another one you are better pming as I dont come over here as much as I used to.

Bring a small pirate costume for the kids for pirate night the costumes on board are excessive, and you can bring some bits with you even transatlantic and it shouldnt take up much room. we did it this year on our new york cruise.

When you get on the ship make sure you have packed your bathers in your hand luggage so the kids can go in the pool straight away. Else you have to wait for your luggage to be brought to your room.
lindylou2_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #29
SparklesofHope
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylou2_2002 View Post
Bring a small pirate costume for the kids for pirate night the costumes on board are excessive, and you can bring some bits with you even transatlantic and it shouldnt take up much room. we did it this year on our new york cruise.

When you get on the ship make sure you have packed your bathers in your hand luggage so the kids can go in the pool straight away. Else you have to wait for your luggage to be brought to your room.
Thank you for posting! I was just thinking about pirate costumes today. My kids don't like to dress up much, but I think it would be fun for pirate night. I'll have to convince DH to dress up too...

WDW 1984; Christmas 2010 Hilton Bonnet Creek
Disneyland, CA--Too many to count!
1st DCL cruise--Magic in the Med 6/2013
SparklesofHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #30
goofs
Earning My Ears

We're going on the 1st june Very excited, we are going with my DD 12 and wondered how I would be able to let her chat to others of similar age prior to cruise so she would 'no' people on there? I hope that makes sense!
goofs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: