Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #196
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Is the childcare on CC open before the race? I'd love to run this 5K on our cruise, but as a single parent I need someone to watch my kids. They'd LOVE one of those medals, but I'm not sure I can get them to run a 5K. If they aren't able to train for it, is there childcare available?

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #197
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Aren't these the same medals you get for the trivia contest?
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #198
rosermama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingGoddess

It does fall in line with previous reports that Fantasy has medals and Dream does not.

Tip for those that are running: Don't forget to wear sunscreen! The day started out overcast but the sun came out in the middle of the race and beat down pretty hard.
Just ran it on the Fantasy this week they did have medals no certificates. The guy told my husband who was waiting for me that most of the other ships ran out of them and they can't keep them in stock because so many people are running now, all the medals are on the Fantasy because its new and people expect them to have them. But they are ordering more and trying to restock the other ships.

I noticed at the trivia thing now you get the water bottle they use to give out for running
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #199
mikensarah83
Earning My Ears

My husband and I ran the 5k on 12/7/12. We had to check in at 0930 at the Tube. As a group we walked to the starting point. It was so hot for my husband and I, we live in Upstate NY so we aren't used to the humidity. But, it was a good run. There was a water checkpoint along the way. We got a metal after we crossed the finish line and checked back with one of the organizers. T-shirts were available for sale at the store right near the start/finish.
My only complaint would be, I wish we started the process earlier. It would have been nice if we got off the ship at 945, and started the run around 10. But, I would do it again
Old 12-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #200
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy drew View Post
Is the childcare on CC open before the race? I'd love to run this 5K on our cruise, but as a single parent I need someone to watch my kids. They'd LOVE one of those medals, but I'm not sure I can get them to run a 5K. If they aren't able to train for it, is there childcare available?
Ooh, when are you going? The "this is new" link in my sig is my pre-cruise-journal-of-sorts, FYI.

If my son can separate himself from our cousins at that point, I'm hoping they'll let him run with me (and maybe DH if his achilles issue calms down). But I'm thinking he'll be with his cousins and will refuse to leave them.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #201
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Ooh, when are you going? The "this is new" link in my sig is my pre-cruise-journal-of-sorts, FYI.

If my son can separate himself from our cousins at that point, I'm hoping they'll let him run with me (and maybe DH if his achilles issue calms down). But I'm thinking he'll be with his cousins and will refuse to leave them.
We are going in August! Right now we are booked on a 7 night Eastern on the Fantasy, though I might downgrade to a 4 night Dream if I get scared of the cost and the possible seasickness.

Thanks for the head's up on the new pre-trippie! Heading over there now!!!!

Still wondering about child care, though. If the race starts at 10, and the kids are in childcare on the ship, it would be a big waste of time to drop them in childcare, go run, go get them, then go back to CC. But if childcare is open on CC, that makes it so much easier.

Does anyone know whether childcare is available on CC during the 5K?

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #202
schewy
Owner of The Trip Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogabuzz
I plan on running it next fri!! It will probably be struggle since I haven't had too much time to prepare. I did my first 5k back in May. I finished in 43 min...I ran most of it, but as you can tell it was a fast walk pace. Oh well, better than not doing it at all!! I'm looking forward to the CC 5k, should be a good time!
I will be there too. I also haven't had much time to train and I am definitely not in shape. I will probably walk a good bit of it. I am using it to help me plan for the Expedition Everest Challenge next May.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #203
FAIREST1OFALL
DVC Member, DL and WDW AP, DCL newbie

Are kids allowed to run? I'm seeing people post about their kids joining them. I thought they couldn't....please tell me I'm wrong! My 6.5 year old is a runner and has run several 5ks. He's heartbroken that he cannot join mom on the cc5k.
FAIREST1OFALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #204
amanda202
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIREST1OFALL
Are kids allowed to run? I'm seeing people post about their kids joining them. I thought they couldn't....please tell me I'm wrong! My 6.5 year old is a runner and has run several 5ks. He's heartbroken that he cannot join mom on the cc5k.
Ages 12+ on the Dream last week.

Disney Wonder 10/23/10
Disney Dream 12/02/12
amanda202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #205
goeva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by uziel5000 View Post
Well I just ran it last Friday. Goal accomplished. Here are some pics. You can also check my blog to read how I did on the race afatrunner.blogspot.com

The ship arriving at Castaway Cay...

We were told to be at The Tube at 9:15am. There we signed up and were given our bibs. We were the first group to be allowed off the ship.

From there we walked to the starting line. We were shown the route on the map and we were on our way!

I don't have pics of the race for obvious reasons. But here is the medal they gave me and the shirt I bought,

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask.
Thanks for posting this. Not sure if I can run 5K but I'm planning to walk my first 5K on next cruise.

MeDH DD DS

Last edited by goeva; 12-18-2012 at 11:23 PM.
goeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #206
goeva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingGoddess View Post
It does fall in line with previous reports that Fantasy has medals and Dream does not.

Tip for those that are running: Don't forget to wear sunscreen! The day started out overcast but the sun came out in the middle of the race and beat down pretty hard.
That stinks. How about Magic? I have my eyes on that medal.

MeDH DD DS
Old 12-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #207
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeva

That stinks. How about Magic? I have my eyes on that medal.
The Magic does. Actually the Magic gives it out for trivia winners.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #208
jjones144
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIREST1OFALL
You do have to be over 12, but I saw a couple of kids who had to be like 7 or 8 running with their parents. They just couldn't sign up to run was what their mother told me.
jjones144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #209
goeva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
The Magic does. Actually the Magic gives it out for trivia winners.
Yes!
Thank you.

MeDH DD DS

Last edited by goeva; 12-19-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: