Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
bceagle76
Mouseketeer

Going on Christmas Cruise Saturday Very Excited But

I can't wait to get on board . I was little a little disappionted with my rooms . I booked two room buts used points from 2 different sources. They both GTY rooms. I call DCL and ask that just put the close to each other. Didnt have to be on the same floor just kinda on the same area of the ship.
They did join the two resverations but couldn't me two rooms further apart. One at the very front of the ship and one at very back.
When I try to discuss it with them I was more disappionted in the attuide of the person and supervisor I dealt with. Their attuide was I shouldn't have book GTY. Well that it was what you were offering . I was told when I call to join the resverations that they would do their best, but after wards I was told that I never should have been told that. But I call back and got another agent who at least care about my issue depsite the fact he couldn't do anything about it, he at least seem like he try which I didn't get the feel ing from ethe 1st two. The rooms I booked were worth most likely over $12k , while I did not pay cash I do pay for the points including fees.
What brother me the most is how they(1st two) try to distance them self from DVC treating them like travel agent and saying I need to go back to them on the room assignments. Which I did not becuase that was just kicking the can down the road.
If I haven't been on 8 previous cruises I may have been very suspect about cruising on DCL. If these 1st 2 are the face of DCL again they second guy I dealt with was a PRO I didnt get a room change but I know he care about me as a customer.
But I know I will have a great can't wait until my wooden deck chair on Saturday and watch the ocean go by.
bceagle76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Unfortunately that's the deal with the GTY category. I agree that noone should really be even taking requests about it because it just gets your hopes up. . I'm sure it will still be a lovely cruise!

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
dallastxcpa
DIS Veteran

I had no idea you could book a GTY room with DVC points. How does that work?
Old 12-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
bceagle76
Mouseketeer

The last 3 cruises I have booked
Eastern Cab 2009 Alasaka 2010 and Western 2012
Where all thru DVC and all were GTY
I book this one in March 2012
I booked the Alasaka the day it opened
and they were GTY
To me it just seems like they didn't want assign rooms
Old 12-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
bmer1rick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bceagle76 View Post
What brother me the most is how they(1st two) try to distance them self from DVC treating them like travel agent and saying I need to go back to them on the room assignments. Which I did not becuase that was just kicking the can down the road.
We are also sailing this Saturday for our Christmas Cruise. Can't wait!!

I hope this doesn't get you even more riled up, but we have sailed 28 times on DCL and 9 times using points. Unfortunately, DCL does consider DVC a TA. Since you don't book directly with them, all specific requests need to come through DVC.. I can tell you from experience. Because of the headaches we have had booking through DVC, we always ensure we get a room v. a GTY assignment. We too requested an area of the ship when we got a GTY once and it didn't happen.. I too went through the entire "its not our issue" with DCL so I ended up calling Claire Bilby's executive office assistant and found out that yes, DCL was right and DVC is essentially a TA.. What I ended up doing is going to the supervisor's desk at the port and ended up getting a different room (via upgrade) for a $150 or so.. We ended up where we wanted and had a much nicer room. If you are in the same boat, recommend you get to the port as soon as it opens and see if you can work with the supervisor's desk to fix the problem. It is probably your best chance since the ships over the holidays are almost always full.
bmer1rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
doombuqqy
DIS Veteran

I agree to talk to them at the port not specificly for an upgrade but if there are any available cabins in the same cat that was assigned to you, it's worth a try and I promise they will be very nice to you at the port. Don't go with any expectations other than having a great cruise and maybe you will get a sprinkling of . Just think of us poor souls who are not enjoying the cruiseI hope you have a wonderful cruise

doombuqqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
mousefan1972
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastxcpa View Post
I had no idea you could book a GTY room with DVC points. How does that work?
GTY means that whatever category the OP chose was sold out enough that she was not able to select a cabin at time of booking. So, she chose to "accept guarantee" which means she is guaranteed "a" cabin, at minimum in the category she booked. There is always a chance of an upgrade.

*note, VGT, OGT, and IGT discounted cabins can NOT be booked using DVC points. Regular GTY cabins can.
mousefan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
bceagle76
Mouseketeer

I am very impressed with 28 cruises.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: