Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
bethwc101
Mouseketeer

Best Eats AROUND Disneyland

I know about the best treats in Disneyland, DCA, and DD, but what I want to know is what is your favorite meal/place to eat outside of Disneyland. No INN-N-OUT or Cheesecake factory. I want to know little family own, small, non chain restaurants, take out, or hole in the wall places. I found one where they have great tacos, burgers, and milkshakes, but I can't for the life of me remember the name. I want to guess it had the number 8 in the name but that is not for sure. If you know the place, let me know. Pics would be great.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
bcla
DIS Veteran

Many of the unique family owned joints seemed to have disappeared from the immediate vicinity of DL as they tried to clean up the image. The DL Hotel was actually pretty seedy way back when.

The kinds of places you describe might be a short drive. My wife found Tommy's Sushi in Tustin. The poke bowl was excellent at a cheap price.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
DharmaLou
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

There is a place on Harbor called Pizza Press - it's basically a make-in-front-of-you pizza place (a la Quizno's), but it's really good AND they have a great selection of local microbrews. For a fast food type place, I really enjoyed it. It's on Harbor just East of the DLR entrance.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethwc101 View Post
I know about the best treats in Disneyland, DCA, and DD, but what I want to know is what is your favorite meal/place to eat outside of Disneyland. No INN-N-OUT or Cheesecake factory. I want to know little family own, small, non chain restaurants, take out, or hole in the wall places. I found one where they have great tacos, burgers, and milkshakes, but I can't for the life of me remember the name. I want to guess it had the number 8 in the name but that is not for sure. If you know the place, let me know. Pics would be great.
We love Zankou Chicken. It's a mediterranean chicken place. The shwaerma is amazing. Here are some yelp reviews (including my own):

http://www.yelp.com/biz/zankou-chick...5-QQA/src:self
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
sunflare
Mouseketeer

Ditto on the Zankou. I grew up near one in LA, and LOVED it.
sunflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmaLou View Post
There is a place on Harbor called Pizza Press - it's basically a make-in-front-of-you pizza place (a la Quizno's), but it's really good AND they have a great selection of local microbrews. For a fast food type place, I really enjoyed it. It's on Harbor just East of the DLR entrance.

It's right next to the Carousel, where Quiznos used to be. And it's VERY tasty. I was unsure the first time we went there, but on our recent trip I had to agree. It's extremely THIN crust, and it's made right there in front of you.

I had the opportunity to meet the owner on our first visit, and one of his minions (LOL) on our second, and they really thought it all through before opening. Making sure they use GOOD dough, GOOD ingredients, etc.

And, although we did not have any, their ice cream is locally made out of good ingredients. Suddenly I'm forgetting the name of the maker...I almost want to say Lola's? Anyway, they have that, they have Virgil's root beer, they have real beer...it's a good place. And in EASY walking distance from the main entrance.

My wants them (told the owner, too) to rename the restaurant to Pizza Perfect.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
jlmarr
You got that right

Los Sanchez in Garden Grove - counter service Mexican place that is always hopping. From DLR go south on Disneyland Drive (changes name to West St) until it ends at a T intersection that is Garden Grove Blvd. Hang a right then an immediate left and you're there. The store used to be on Harbor Blvd about where Sheraton GG is now, but GG city planners had that whole corner redeveloped so they could cash in on Disney visitors. Anyway, Los Sanchez survived nicely in its new location.

Original Pancake House on Lincoln east of downtown Anaheim. The place goes back to 1958 and looks it, but you'll have a bit of a wait if you don't get there early. One of our favorites. http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/phloc_anaheim.html

Blue Frog Bakery in Orange. The best almond bear claws we've ever had, but you'll have a hard time picking from their bakery selection. And the other breakfast items are good also. It's on Glassell St, south of the plaza that is the intersection of Chapman Ave and Glassell, a classic downtown area that's worth a visit all by itself. Early scenes of the Tom Hanks movie "That Thing You Do" were shot in the neighborhood, including the nearby Watson's Drugs and Soda Fountain. To get to the Orange plaza from DLR, take Harbor Blvd south to Chapman (about 1 miles), then turn left (east) and go about 3 1/2 miles. The plaza is a traffic circle aka roundabout and you'll make your first right after entering the circle to get to South Glassell, with Blue Frog being on your right about 1/2 block. http://www.ocregister.com/articles/b...frog-blue.html

The OP said non-chain restaurants, but let me put in a plug for the breakfast at Marie Callendar's in Anaheim Plaza, on Euclid just north of I-5. It's the same center as Walmart, which you can see from the freeway. Very well prepared breakfasts - feels like a notch above coffee shop fare. I love the Tex-Mex scramble, DW goes for the veggie omelet.
jlmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
aymekae
Mouseketeer

Only one I can think of (and I haven't even been yet) is Slater's 50/50. They were featured on some bacon lover's TV episode at some point, and my family got REALLY excited. Their 50/50 burgers are 50% ground beef and 50% ground bacon. Then they have bacon salt, bacon mayo, bacon brownies, and other bacon stuff. Other than bacon, they do build-your-own-burgers with tons of options, and I didn't hear a complaint from the whole bunch about any of their food (and that included several picky eaters). The prices were extremely reasonable (I'd say similar to Denny's). It is top on our list for our upcoming family trip. I think the closest location is in Anaheim Hills, which is maybe 20 minutes away from Disneyland. (Well, I would also propose not going on a weekday around rush hour.)

Ben (32) Ayme (28) Ian (10 mo)

DLR Trips - Last: Sep. 2013 Next: Jan. 2014
Honeymoon to WDW (Wilderness Lodge) Sep. 11, 2008
Western Caribbean Cruise (Magic) Dec. 10, 2011
Aulani Nov. 3-12, 2012
Eastern Caribbean Cruise (Fantasy) Dec. 14, 2013
Disneyland Jan. 16-18, 2014 (Neverland 5K)
aymekae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dessert, disneyland, food, milkshake, picture

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: