Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Friendly Frog
DIS veteran with a mouse on her back.

Here now and was just told a rumor by a CM

Of course rumors are dime a dozen, but a CM just told me the latest rumor is that the Florida Tomorrow land will be getting a major Star Wars themed referb.,including Stitches Great Escape changing. Personally I could see a Star Wars theme working with the stitch ride mechanisms, but would hate to see everything get the Star Wars touch.

The strange part is that this information was given to me as an aswer to my question of. "When will Splash get some repairs?" The answer was " Splash is a pretty old ride, but TomorrowLand..."
Friendly Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
TurkA77
Mouseketeer

I would definitely expect some Star Wars rides to be added at some point especially with 3 more movies being made. Not to mention over 4 billion spent on the franchise. However I doubt it will be in Tommorrowland considering Star Wars took place a long time ago....
TurkA77 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

I just don't see it. To me, Magic Kingdom is kind of sacred and should be reserved for characters or movies created by Disney. Even though Disney owns Star Wars, I think the only place for it is in Hollywood Studios. Same with Marvel.
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
fivebyfive
Mouseketeer

Disneyland Park's Tomorrowland has Star Tours and a fantastic permanent set up for Jedi training, so this would make sense.
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #5
WizardLarz
DIS Veteran

no more Stitch?

Hurray! I would be fine with Stitch dissappearing for good!

'88 Off Site -only two parks '00 Off Site '08 Fort Wilderness Campgrounds (Yes,I realy used a tent!) '09 Pop Century
'10 Boardwalk Villas SWW '11 Pop F&W '11 Pop Century Mars Preview '12 Pop Century(hey it's cheap) SWW '12 Pop Century (yes Again)

2010 PRT "I'm off to see the Mickey! The wonderfull cool Mouse! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2383922

WizardLarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

Doubtful. Star Wars belongs at Hollywood Studios. Note the Hollywood part, aka cinema, aka movies. If they want more Star Wars attractions just take out the stunt show or the quick service place by Star Tours and build in from there. Tomorrowland would be a terrible fit for anything Star Wars imho. I won't go into the problems Tomorrowland does have/what should go in there, but Star Wars really has no place there.

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
Friendly Frog
DIS veteran with a mouse on her back.

I have to agree, I would think the Star Wars be a better fit at the studios.
Friendly Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Disney could follow Universal's lead with Harry Potter and have Star Wars attractions in more then one park. Star Wars can fit in Tomorrowland just as well as in DHS.

Obviously CMs who have real knowledge won't be sharing their information with guests. CM rumors are generally no more accurate then internet rumors.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
tfc3rid
DIS Veteran

Also, the CM should be aware that Splash Mountain is going down for a long refurb starting after the Holiday. And it's only 20 years old (not THAT old)...

tfc3rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
KapBoy77
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgers1
I just don't see it. To me, Magic Kingdom is kind of sacred and should be reserved for characters or movies created by Disney. Even though Disney owns Star Wars, I think the only place for it is in Hollywood Studios. Same with Marvel.
I agree with this.
DIS Dad #749
KapBoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Star Tours (or Star Tours: The Adventure Continues) is in Tomorrowland at the original Disneyland Park, Tomorrowland at Disneyland Paris, and in Discoveryland at Disneyland Paris. The only place with Star Tours where it's not at a Magic Kingdom-style park is at Walt Disney World, where it's at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

As the OP correctly noted, additional Star Wars attractions at the Tomorrowland at WDW are just a rumor. Nothing has been announced, nor is there any evidence (such as public filings with government agencies).

There are undoubtedly people in Burbank and Glendale (and maybe even Lake Buena Vista) discussing strategy and concepts to use the IP gained from the acquisition of Lucasfilm. However, as Lewisc noted, anyone who is part of that elite group is not sharing details with park Cast Members.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

I don't buy the idea that the Magic Kingdom is somehow sacrosanct. Disney didn't create any of the Pixar characters. Disney didn't create Winnie the Pooh.

That said, I think it's more likely for Disneyland's Tomorrowland to get a Star Wars facelift than WDW. As another poster said, Star Tours and the Jedi Training Academy are already there. Captain Eo could easily be replaced. Innoventions is a waste of space.

The only thing which muddies those waters is the rumor of a Marvel attraction replacing Innoventions. While some Marvel presence would be appreciated, I think DL Tomorrowland could really benefit from a Star Wars makeover. Right now it's even more "lost" than its WDW counterpart.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #13
aleksandr
Mouseketeer

Tomorrowland is supposed to represent the utopian, idealistic view of the future from the point of view of someone living in the 1950's and 1960's. When the year 2000 was so far away that people thought that anything could happen--that there would be flying cars, rocket ships, and tourism to the moon, mars, and elsewhere. The TTA/People Mover and the pre and post queues at Space Mountain perfectly illustrate this.

Unfortunately, we are now 12 years past the year 2000 and most of the aforementioned things don't exist, nor likely will even in our lifetimes. However, technology evolved in different ways like the Internet, tablet computers, and smart phones (all of which draw people further apart rather than bring them closer). More people also understand science and so understand why some of those imagined things will not or cannot exist.

For those who live solidly in the present under the influence of all of these technological "wonders" of today, Tomorrowland may seem outdated and cheesy. I hope that category of people don't work at important levels of Disney management who can influence change in Tomorrowland.

I thoroughly enjoy Tomorrowland as it exists now--a somewhat campy, idealistic look at what the future might have been. I'm also a huge Star Wars fan. But I really don't think the two should ever come together in the Magic Kingdom, not when Disney has a whole park (DHS) dedicated to the magic of movies. I think massive upheaval of Tomorrowland would sully Walt's vision of what it was supposed to represent...
aleksandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkA77 View Post
I would definitely expect some Star Wars rides to be added at some point especially with 3 more movies being made. Not to mention over 4 billion spent on the franchise. However I doubt it will be in Tommorrowland considering Star Wars took place a long time ago....
I agree....
Old 12-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Back in 1955, Disneyland's Tomorrowland was supposed to project the future year of 1986, when Halley's Comet would return.

That was the plan, but, for the most, the reality never matched that plan. Yes, the Rocket to the Moon predicted passenger travel into space, but most of the attractions were corporate exhibits showing the "today" of that time, not a vision of a distant tomorrow.

Over the years, Tomorrowland (or Discoveryland) at all Magic Kingdom-style parks essentially became Semi-Sci-Fi Fantasyland, with emphasis on Pixar and Disney characters.

That's not necessarily bad if the attractions are good. But it's time for Stitch at MK and EO at DL to be replaced.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: