Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #31
tajz90
Mama D

But it's ok to not finish your dinner. Don't stuff yourself silly when you've reached fullness. I generally only eat 1/2 of what I order. Granted, I don't order more than one dinner item. (I had no idea that I could order 1/2 entrees though, will try that next time).

While we order one of every dessert, I take a bite or two. My husband and kids finish it off.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #32
GrammyGee
Earning My Ears

Smile

My husband doesn't eat salad or soup and rarely appetizers, but loves cheese so the first night he asked if he could have a cheese platter and crackers. It took them a little while to come up with it and apologized for the wait. On the second night, the head waiter presented my husband with a cheese platter before he could even order it and he had one every night after that. Also, I loved the dessert sampler every night - just a little portion of 3 desserts and then if one was especially good - I could get a full serving. Also, in the coffee shops you have to pay for the speciality coffee but there are wonderful little chocolate desserts that are free - the server kept trying to get me to take more and I didn't even have to buy a coffee. Enjoy your splurge ! Debbie
GrammyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #33
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

[

[

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagram View Post
Because there is a certain workflow involved to get that many meals out in the alloted amount of time. They have more people to serve beyond the one table you are seated at. Think about times you have been seated at a restaurant at home and the server has been "double sat." They try to avoid that because service suffers when you have too many people needing the same thing at the same time.

Yes they are there to serve you and they will, but while they are serving someone expecting things out of the normal cycle some elses service is being compromised. It is out of respect to the server and your fellow passengers that it is customary to order all of what you want at the time they give you service.

I would rather waste a little food than cause extra stress to a fellow human being.
Yes.... Seriously! What other purpose do they have on ship? Serving you is their job isn't it? I'm not talking about being rude or treating them as beneath me but I'm not going to worry about when or if I should make any kind of request. It seems there are a lot of unwritten "rules" that people come up with that are based on conjecture. If DCL wants us to do things a certain way then they should have it posted or noted on the menu. If my request is unreasonable then I am sure they will tell me and I will accept that. That is respect.
It is not my job to worry about the service you are receiving. Having enough crew to provide the same level of service to everyone along work flow, crew stress and crew morale is something for DCL to worry about, not the customer. If fulfilling another customer's request affects your service then your issue should be with DCL staffing levels not how others are ordering their dinner

Last edited by mmouse37; 12-15-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Wadekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #34
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadekind View Post
Yes.... Seriously! What other purpose do they have on ship? Serving you is their job isn't it? I'm not talking about being rude or treating them as beneath me but I'm not going to worry about when or if I should make any kind of request. It seems there are a lot of unwritten "rules" that people come up with that are based on conjecture. If DCL wants us to do things a certain way then they should have it posted or noted on the menu. If my request is unreasonable then I am sure they will tell me and I will accept that. That is respect.
It is not my job to worry about the service you are receiving. Having enough crew to provide the same level of service to everyone along work flow, crew stress and crew morale is something for DCL to worry about, not the customer. If fulfilling another customer's request affects your service then your issue should be with DCL staffing levels not how others are ordering their dinner.

...reading your post an old memory popped into my head..." chose ONE item from column A and ONE item from column B. NO SUBSTITUTES!" On the ship it is like the old adverizing "Have it your way.."
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #35
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Hi Poohdoll , Ok so I haven't cruised yet, but I have actually learned a lot, and had a great time, reading peoples trip reports. It's a wonderful way to pass some time and see what people really experience on the ship. Lots of them post lots of pics of the food, and very often talk about ordering (or their servers just giving them) more than one of any course!

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012, 2014
Disney Magic: 2014
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #36
tessasmom
Mouseketeer

Eat to your hearts content, enjoy being pampered and have a great first cruise!! The Dream is exactly that...a DREAM!! Bon Voyage!

AoA 11/2013~Fantasy Eastern 11/2013
DREAM 12/4/2011~ FANTASY 11/30/13~ AOA 11/28/13~POP 12/1/2011~WDW too many times to count as a child!
tessasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #37
BoosGram
Better than a candygram....I tink, therefore I am.

This is just a suggestion, but get some guidance from the servers on what are the best items on the menu. They have a pretty good record for picking the best food in the kitchen. Unless there is something that I'm really set on having (oddly enough, I love their red cabbage), I almost always go with a recommendation from our server.

Most of all, ENJOY!!

BoosGram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #38
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

As PPs have mentioned the servers will encourage you to eat more if they don't think you ordered enough lol. One night we didn't order dessert (because we ordered four appetizers) and after several attempts of trying to get us to order they moved on to plan b which was "we can make any of these to- go". You will have a great time! Congrats on your weight loss and consider signing up for some of the free fitness classes to keep you on track. You won't feel as guilty eating that extra piece of cheesecake knowing you burned it off during a fun workout overlooking the ocean.

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #39
tajz90
Mama D

We call them FOOD PUSHERS. It really gets on my nerves a bit. I don't like them asking me why I don't want to order something and then trying to badger me to order. The servers will tell the head waiter and then here comes more badgering. Gee! Sometimes you're just full. We have skipped dinner before to solve it and then when we show the next night, it's "don't you like us? Are we not doing a good job?" Haha. It's just easier to order and waste.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #40
tigger_ttfn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
We call them FOOD PUSHERS. It really gets on my nerves a bit. I don't like them asking me why I don't want to order something and then trying to badger me to order. The servers will tell the head waiter and then here comes more badgering. Gee! Sometimes you're just full. We have skipped dinner before to solve it and then when we show the next night, it's "don't you like us? Are we not doing a good job?" Haha. It's just easier to order and waste.
I agree...you are more likely to be given a hard time when you order too little food than too much food. We thought they were food pushers too.

The portions are small but after an appy, salad, and an entree, I really can't eat but a little bit of dessert.

One night we ate at Palo earlier than our normal dining time. It was the last night of the cruise, so instead of going to the show, we went to our table at our regular late dining so we could see everyone one last time. They were still trying to get us to order something to eat. We only stayed for a few minutes because we could tell they just couldn't handle us sitting there not eating even though we were stuffed from Palo.

tigger_ttfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #41
carpenta
DIS Veteran

..they must send all the servers to the "School of Italian Grandmas".....
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #42
Disneyholic
Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDame View Post
The only time I have ever had issue with ordering food anywhere was when I didn't order ENOUGH at dinner (this has happened on both cruises I have been on... sometimes I am just not feeling it, darn it! Leave me alone!! )
Similar thing happened on our August cruise. Hurricane Isaac was working its way into the Gulf but still stirring up the Atlantic. The first 3 nights of our cruise were rough. I had my seabands on the night before the cruise & the 1st night, but took them off the second night for formal night & Remy. By the next morning I was feeling a bit under the weather so I put them back on. We had Palo brunch at noon & I couldn't eat much. Our server kept saying we could eat as much as we wanted, but I couldn't eat much. At dinner that night I ordered a salad & a coke and our server kept trying to hand the menu back to me to order more. It took a little bit to convince him that there was no way I could eat anything more. The next day the seas smoothed out and I felt good enough to take off the bands for the rest of the trip.

Disneyholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #43
DisneyHookedMe
Earning My Ears

I'm a very picky eater and found the staff went above and beyond for me. So yep, you can have just about any food you want. Or in my case, even if it's not on the menu. They went so far as to have room service deliver something for me. The server and staff never once made me feel bad about it, never complained and did all they could to ensure I was treated with the same level of respect as anyone else on the ship.
DisneyHookedMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #44
KingRichard
DIS Veteran

They are food pushers for one reason.

TIPS!

They go above and beyond to make sure your happy so they will keep their jobs and get good tips.

They don't volunteer at a food shelter it's their paid job.

Order what you want when you want. They will try and make it happen.

They are not put out in any way. They go into the kitchen and yell one more of this. There is 50 cooks waiting for orders.

Just don't be cheap at the end of the cruise if you made your staff work a little harder to make your cruise they best experience you have ever had!

GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder(Hawaii), Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic, June 14 Wonder(Alaska) 36 NOB
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #45
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRichard View Post
Just don't be cheap at the end of the cruise if you made your staff work a little harder to make your cruise they best experience you have ever had!
Couldn't agree more. We have had experiences of ordering more on our own...or being given multiple items to try because our servers have gotten to know what we liked or simply because there is something they think is really great...or even being given an opportunity to order something that is not even on the menu at all and had it show up the next night and even a second night without having to ask for it again. We asked if a certain item would be on any of the menus during the rest of the cruise. It was not, but they made it for us anyway...twice!

I have never been one to tip high simply because it is expected, but you will quickly find that the servers on these DCL ships are excellent at what they do and, more often than not, deserve not only the "recommended" gratuity (which is now automatically applied to your account unless or until you say otherwise) but also someextra, especially if you have kept them hopping a little more than usual. In a very short amount of time, your server(s) quickly seem like friends or even family, and tears are often shed on the last night....or, more likely, on the way home when you're stopping at Denny's or Burger King and realizing that you have abruptly woken up from your dream! Our girls (8 and 10) have had more than one heated discussion about who preferred which server from our recent Fantasy cruise vs. our Dream cruise last year.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: