Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 05:40 AM   #16
crabbie1
DIS Veteran

No wilma. Gonna wait till 2nd week in Jan then book regardless. Both flight times are still available so fingers crossed they may have a little sale ( one can hope).
crabbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbie1 View Post
No wilma. Gonna wait till 2nd week in Jan then book regardless. Both flight times are still available so fingers crossed they may have a little sale ( one can hope).
Let's hope the prices don't go back up then
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #18
CAROLINE4
Mouseketeer

The flight prices are all too stressful at the moment! i wanted to book for next year on the 18th but it looks like this will be a no go unless a sale comes up! need last two weeks of aug or oct half term filing those two it will have to be xmas! Teaching is the WORST job to have when trying to get to Florida!

i have been pricing 16th aug in a villa with pool and flights direct for the 6 of us are £6000 each way!
Off site march 2007-solana, off site october 2009- formosa gardens and MARRIED ON COCOA BEACH!: off site April/May 2012 Off site Christmas 2013 Indian Creek Lisax is my sister!xx
CAROLINE4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #19
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Flights seem to be super crazy prices across the board at the moment. I'm hoping for sales in the New Year which is usually what happens. We are off to WDW on 26th Oct - 9th Nov so the flights have only JUST been released but the prices are NUTS!

VA seem to be boosting their prices beyond recognition and perhaps that's something to do with Delta buying out Singapore Airlines 49% stake, but they're going to lose a ton of business if they carry on with these price hikes. BA to Tampa looks a little cheaper but we have to fly PE due to car accident injuries (need to be able to straighten my leg out) and it's looking like the flights are going to be almost double the cost of our stay, tickets and dining at SSR!

Let's hope for new year sales!
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:24 AM   #20
wilma-bride

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomance View Post
Flights seem to be super crazy prices across the board at the moment. I'm hoping for sales in the New Year which is usually what happens. We are off to WDW on 26th Oct - 9th Nov so the flights have only JUST been released but the prices are NUTS!

VA seem to be boosting their prices beyond recognition and perhaps that's something to do with Delta buying out Singapore Airlines 49% stake, but they're going to lose a ton of business if they carry on with these price hikes. BA to Tampa looks a little cheaper but we have to fly PE due to car accident injuries (need to be able to straighten my leg out) and it's looking like the flights are going to be almost double the cost of our stay, tickets and dining at SSR!

Let's hope for new year sales!
Your dates are very similar to ours, we are going 25th Oct to 8th Nov. We ended up booking a flydrive with TCD and paid just over £680 per adult. It's VA flights so a huge saving on what they are charging for flight only.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:17 AM   #21
aj2703
Addicted To Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samaya View Post
The current USA offers from VA ends on the 19th December so hopefully the next offer will include lower fares to MCO.

We are waiting for a reasonably priced April flight so will hang out for a little while.

The current price with VA for our dates is £666 and £598 with miles plus money.

Leaving from a local airport with Aer Lingus via Dublin works out at £604 and includes free seat selection and 23kgs of luggage, also less overall travel time from home to MCO, so at the moment this would be a better choice as no 3-hour car journey to Gatwick plus petrol and parking cost and I believe will clear US immigration & customs in Dublin so quicker when arriving at MCO.

But £600 is over our planned budget for flights so fingers crossed for those lower fares, direct or indirect.
Mine are the same price as you have quoted going on Sat 7th September from gatwick. I have to admit I was in two minds to book, but given some of the other posters prices (OK different dates) I decided not to wait and booked.
aj2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:40 AM   #22
Samaya
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Your dates are very similar to ours, we are going 25th Oct to 8th Nov. We ended up booking a flydrive with TCD and paid just over £680 per adult. It's VA flights so a huge saving on what they are charging for flight only.
Am I correct in that you've booked a fly-drive with a VA flight for £680 and the current price with booking a flight only from VA is around £100 more at £786.

If so, I find it amazing that Virgin can promote on their website....

"Fly with us? Buy with us.
We always have the lowest price for Virgin Atlantic flights.
You won't find the same Virgin Atlantic flight for less on any UK website, that's guaranteed".

But I suppose they cover themselves in their conditions for this guarantee as you're not buying the same product, in fact you're buying a superior product as it includes a car.

And would I be right (wishful thinking) or wrong in thinking that if Travel City Direct can offer at these lower prices then possibly that's an indication that VA prices might come down?
Old 12-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #23
RDP
DIS Veteran

Really VA ! £4600 for two adults and 2 children to fly economy to MCO in August ! I booked with VH For £2900 a few weeks back (flydrive) , paid a bit more after upgrading the car, insurances etc. Not sure which price is the error! Flight prices for 2013 seem to be crazy!

1999-Swan, 2001- Grand Floridian, 2002-Yacht & Beach Club, 2003- Animal Kingdom Lodge,2004- Grand Floridian&Disney Cruise,2006- Off site, 2008- Dolphin, 2009-AKV Kidani, 2010-Saratoga Springs ,2011-AKV Kidani ,2012 - Port Orleans, DCL-Dream & Beach Club, 2013 - AKV Kidani
1999-Swan, 2001- Grand Floridian, 2002-Yacht & Beach Club, 2003- Animal Kingdom Lodge,2004- Grand Floridian&Disney Cruise,2006- Off site, 2008- Dolphin, 2009-AKV Kidani, 2010-Saratoga Springs ,2011-AKV Kidani ,2012 - Port Orleans, DCL-Dream & Beach Club, 2013 - AKV Kidani , 2014 PFB, DCL, CR
RDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #24
wilma-bride

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samaya View Post
Am I correct in that you've booked a fly-drive with a VA flight for £680 and the current price with booking a flight only from VA is around £100 more at £786.

If so, I find it amazing that Virgin can promote on their website....

"Fly with us? Buy with us.
We always have the lowest price for Virgin Atlantic flights.
You won't find the same Virgin Atlantic flight for less on any UK website, that's guaranteed".

But I suppose they cover themselves in their conditions for this guarantee as you're not buying the same product, in fact you're buying a superior product as it includes a car.

And would I be right (wishful thinking) or wrong in thinking that if Travel City Direct can offer at these lower prices then possibly that's an indication that VA prices might come down?
Yes, we booked a fly-drive holiday with TCD. We actually booked a few months ago but added my DD onto the booking last week for just over £680 (plus a £25 admin fee for changing the booking). I think the flight prices are absolutely ludicrous but, unfortunately, the fact that agents can sell packages (be it flydrive or full holiday), including VA flights for less than flight only with VA is probably not an indication that prices will come down. The whole reason why the agents can do it is they only have a limited allocation of seats on each flight and, when they're gone, they're gone. People will then be left with no choice but to book direct with VA if they are dead set on flying those dates/that route/that airline.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #25
Magic Megadegs
Mouseketeer

We're going next August too but as we live in the Channel Islands we have an additional domestic leg to factor in. When the August flights were crazily low in Oct /nov time it was stupidly more expensive for us to book indirect and pick up the £430 ish in direct flights plus domestic leg than we could get direct with BA via Gatwick.

We have paid £3k for 2 adults and 2 children Channel Islands / Gatwick / Florida return with BA. Indirect it was going to be between £3200 and £4000 minimum Channel Islands / UK / USA / MCO return. Ridiculous ... Sometimes indirect is not always cheaper.

It seems like the airlines stick a finger in the air sometimes and then make a random price setting!

Good luck x

Dec / Jan 1990/1991 Villa Xmas, August 1993 I Drive, November 2001 I Drive, August 2003 I Drive Honeymoon , Dec / Jan 2010/2011 Reunion Resort Xmas, August 2013 Caribe Royale & Old Key West Resort , February 2014 Holiday Inn Resort LBV
Magic Megadegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:36 AM   #26
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Megadegs
We're going next August too but as we live in the Channel Islands we have an additional domestic leg to factor in. When the August flights were crazily low in Oct /nov time it was stupidly more expensive for us to book indirect and pick up the £430 ish in direct flights plus domestic leg than we could get direct with BA via Gatwick.

We have paid £3k for 2 adults and 2 children Channel Islands / Gatwick / Florida return with BA. Indirect it was going to be between £3200 and £4000 minimum Channel Islands / UK / USA / MCO return. Ridiculous ... Sometimes indirect is not always cheaper.

It seems like the airlines stick a finger in the air sometimes and then make a random price setting!

Good luck x
Wow I have often wondered how people from the Channel Islands organise their long haul flights. It must be hard with the extra time/expense to factor. I can imagine you would want to go for the longest time to maximise the cost of the flight which remains the same! Do you do the flights from the Channel Islands - Gatwick - Orlando all in one day or do you break it up with a hotel at Gatwick overnight? Do you also have cost of parking at your local airport?

I think you are right re random pricing. Its a pin and a piece of paper or a lets see how much these suckers will pay lol...( quite alot we love our disney )
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #27
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbie1 View Post
Just checked flights with VA tonight. £2589!!!!! VH flydrive was £2091???? What is going on. For april after easter hols I thought they would be cheaper. Cheaper to go in bloomin august. This was for 2 adults and a child. Wish I could get rid of these VA vouchers and go indirect!!!
There is something going on with flights for sure. We went to WDW last year, flew P.E. direct with Virgin through Disney Travel Company. Total for the 2 week holiday at SSR, Dining, Tickets was £5200. We booked for Oct '13 same accommodation, dining and tickets £2785 but flights were not released yet. Called on Saturday to add flights because they were released, economy flights £4000! P.E. £5800! For 3 flights!????

I called again this morning because they told me try Monday to see if they've changed when the UK office is open and it's more! I can buy the same flights directly with Virgin Atlantic or BA slightly cheaper but still over £3500 for economy. Checked eBookers and I can get direct economy flights flying 2 days later for £1500 for all 3 but obviously when you book through consolidators you have to pay it all up front.

There is definitely something going on in 2013. Maybe fewer people are travelling due to the economy and they need to make up the revenue? Maybe they're planning flight sales in the New Year?? Something isn't right and even the Disney people I spoke to said they think it's a joke.
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #28
Paula Sedley-Burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomance

There is something going on with flights for sure. We went to WDW last year, flew P.E. direct with Virgin through Disney Travel Company. Total for the 2 week holiday at SSR, Dining, Tickets was £5200. We booked for Oct '13 same accommodation, dining and tickets £2785 but flights were not released yet. Called on Saturday to add flights because they were released, economy flights £4000! P.E. £5800! For 3 flights!????

I called again this morning because they told me try Monday to see if they've changed when the UK office is open and it's more! I can buy the same flights directly with Virgin Atlantic or BA slightly cheaper but still over £3500 for economy. Checked eBookers and I can get direct economy flights flying 2 days later for £1500 for all 3 but obviously when you book through consolidators you have to pay it all up front.

There is definitely something going on in 2013. Maybe fewer people are travelling due to the economy and they need to make up the revenue? Maybe they're planning flight sales in the New Year?? Something isn't right and even the Disney people I spoke to said they think it's a joke.
I wonder if its anything to do with the Delta buying 49% of VA?
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #29
Laurafoster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke

I wonder if its anything to do with the Delta buying 49% of VA?

Its not just Virgin though. We are looking to go mid sept which isn't usually an expensive time to go. BA are currently more expensive than Virgin for the dates I was looking at.

Indirect are cheaper but only about £50pp off what I can get M&M fares for so not worth it with a toddler and a baby.

Crazy prices at the moment. Fingers crossed a sale or something comes along soon.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #30
Paula Sedley-Burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurafoster

Its not just Virgin though. We are looking to go mid sept which isn't usually an expensive time to go. BA are currently more expensive than Virgin for the dates I was looking at.

Indirect are cheaper but only about £50pp off what I can get M&M fares for so not worth it with a toddler and a baby.

Crazy prices at the moment. Fingers crossed a sale or something comes along soon.
I see what you mean. I wonder what is going on! Those are crazy prices. Next May isnt too bad. I booked 5th - 15th May got a flydrive VH for 1600.00 with full car insurance. I am a dvc member so got accommodation. I got the same price for 19th September - 3rd october .

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: