Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #16
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

I have ordered 2 appetizers b/c I wanted to try both. I've only ordered an entree twice when I didn't like the first one that came and didn't eat it. That's happened maybe twice.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #17
KingRichard
DIS Veteran

You can also do half orders if you want to try different things and save room for 2-3 deserts.

That's what we do!

GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder, Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #18
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo1009 View Post
Dumb question: if I don't like the soup/salad options, can I (up-front) request an appetizer as my 2nd course as well? (Or does that mess things up for them? Thanks!
Yes. I ordered a soup and 2 appetizers one night. Just tell your server which one you want for your entree, otherwise they will all come out at once.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #19
tajz90
Mama D

You can order as much and what you want. Our whole family has mixed and matched, gotten 2 of one thing and none out of the salad choice . We order a combo off kid and adult menu and on and on and on.

The one thing we always do is order one of everything off dessert menu my hubby and I share and eat our way thru heaven with a nice cup of coffee.

FYI, we never use the elevators. We take stairs thru out cruise. It's our penance for eating as we wish!
tajz90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #20
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

You can also mix and match the sides that come with the main dishes. I did that. I also had a standing order for mac n cheese while one of our table mates had a standing order for french fries from the kids menu. The portions are smaller then what you find in a restaurant.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #21
Debers17
Mouseketeer

You can even order off the kids menu if you choose. One night there was a bacon potato soup I believe that was on the kids menu that was not on the adults menu. I ordered it and it was THE best soup I had the entire cruise that later on I had wished I ordered 2

Cruised the Oct. 7, 2012 Dream sailing
Me DH Brian DS Noah (11) & DD Jenavieve (9)
BEST FAMILY VACATION EVER!!!
Debers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #22
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

The only time I have ever had issue with ordering food anywhere was when I didn't order ENOUGH at dinner (this has happened on both cruises I have been on... sometimes I am just not feeling it, darn it! Leave me alone!! )
Old 12-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #23
Floridagram
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohDoll View Post
Jesus...im gonna die and go to heaven on that cruise! I could easily eat two apps and two entrees ...

Honey, get prepared, there may be one night you want 3 or more appetizers! A shrimp cocktail will only have a few shrimp, maybe 4, so you would want 2 of those, and then they may have something else tempting. Some nights there may be 4 things you are interested in and then another night only one!

Eat to your hearts content! Portions are small, not like restaurants at home so multiple entrees is not the same. I think one night I got 2 but only ate the meat on the second one, not the sides too. You can do whatever you want. Those servers have seen it all and if they think anything they probably only think "those crazy Americans"! And rightfully so, but they also don't really know how much we pay for these cruises either.
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013,NCL Jewel-Aug 2014, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014, CCL Liberty Oct 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #24
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarboo View Post
You can eat as much as you want, but please be considerate to the wait staff by ordering what you want and what you think you might want at the beginning when they take your order. It's just more chaos and stress trying to get the kitchen to prepare more dinner entrees when they've already moved on to desserts.
Why should anyone care about this? The wait staffs whole purpose is to serve you. The whole purpose of the cruise is to go and be pampered in an all inclusive atmosphere. It is not the customers job to worry about the stress or chaos the staff is experiencing.
If someone decides they want another appetizer after the main course then they shouldn't worry about asking for it. Knowing what you will like or if the portions are big enough all at the beginning of the meal is impossible and ordering too much because the staff may have to work extra is wasteful. If the kitchen or wait staff can't do it I am sure they will tell you.
Wadekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:43 AM   #25
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

Even if you don't order an extra entree or appetizer... you'll probably end up with one or more on your table anyway. The Cast Members are quite proud of their food, and they talk up their favorites.

The last night of our Dream Cruise, we had 12 desserts on our table for 4!

Also, when I found I adored the salad and pot stickers appetizer from the Pirates night menu, I mentioned kiddingly, that I could just eat those things all night. My waiter took my dinner order, and also returned with entree sized portions of the salad and pot stickers. Mmmmmm.

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #26
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohDoll View Post
If I eat dinner in the dining room and than order room service a few hours later will they know ?
Nope. And sometimes you just need those 2am french fries!

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #27
Brumbie13
Mr. Mickeybars

That was totally uncalled for so I edited it out

MJ

Last edited by mmouse37; 12-15-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Brumbie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:21 AM   #28
Floridagram
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadekind View Post
Why should anyone care about this? The wait staffs whole purpose is to serve you. The whole purpose of the cruise is to go and be pampered in an all inclusive atmosphere. It is not the customers job to worry about the stress or chaos the staff is experiencing.
If someone decides they want another appetizer after the main course then they shouldn't worry about asking for it. Knowing what you will like or if the portions are big enough all at the beginning of the meal is impossible and ordering too much because the staff may have to work extra is wasteful. If the kitchen or wait staff can't do it I am sure they will tell you.
Because there is a certain workflow involved to get that many meals out in the alloted amount of time. They have more people to serve beyond the one table you are seated at. Think about times you have been seated at a restaurant at home and the server has been "double sat." They try to avoid that because service suffers when you have too many people needing the same thing at the same time.

Yes they are there to serve you and they will, but while they are serving someone expecting things out of the normal cycle some elses service is being compromised. It is out of respect to the server and your fellow passengers that it is customary to order all of what you want at the time they give you service.

I would rather waste a little food than cause extra stress to a fellow human being.
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013,NCL Jewel-Aug 2014, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014, CCL Liberty Oct 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #29
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

As many have said, you can eat till you drop. And if that is what you want to do; go for it. It's fun to try food you have never had before.

The only thing I hope for (flame suit on), don't order more than you can eat. I always see a lot of plates with a ton of food left on them after the guests have left the table.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Off-site 2015, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #30
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Congrats on the weight loss!!!! Yes you can order what ever you wish...like a "Dream" come true. Just one thing to keep in mind is not to waste too much and ask not to include sides that you don't want to eat. Don't forget kids are watching so you want not to get some of them going about not eating their veggies. Your server will make your plate anyway you wish. Go enjoy and hope you have the best "Virgin" cruise ever.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: