Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #2131
phins_jazy
You might have noticed that my boyfriend glitters. It's just something that he does in the sun. Don't worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile5sunshine View Post
I am such a super bad friend! I've managed to look through everything. I LOVE the aprons, thank you Cheryl for doing the drawstring backpack tutorial, the cozy-carriers were awesome, the purses cute, etc.

I've been busy because (like always) the end of the year snuck up on me and I'm trying to finish a ton of crafting/sewing all in the next week. I have 5 Disney dresses to finish for a friend taking their trip after Christmas, the eye spy bags for the Give (which THANK YOU ANDREA for the mini-tute you did a while ago!), and a DIY ornament wreath for a gift exchange. On top of all that I still need to pack and order my house before we leave to visit family for Christmas break! ACK!

I know, excuses, excuses.

Back to sewing for me!
Sunshine
I feel your pain! We leave for disney in 7 days!!! ACK!!! I still have so much to do. I have 3 more shirts to finish, 2 scarves and embroider a jacket and a hoodie. My youngest asked me if I could make her some skirts to take with too. No pressure! On the plus side, I have finished up 45 of the 48 shirts, 2 hoodies and one scarf. And of course there are three parties this weekend, christmas baking and getting the house in order. Oh, and packing. Have to pack sometime don't I?

phins_jazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #2132
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by phins_jazy View Post
I feel your pain! We leave for disney in 7 days!!! ACK!!! I still have so much to do. I have 3 more shirts to finish, 2 scarves and embroider a jacket and a hoodie. My youngest asked me if I could make her some skirts to take with too. No pressure! On the plus side, I have finished up 45 of the 48 shirts, 2 hoodies and one scarf. And of course there are three parties this weekend, christmas baking and getting the house in order. Oh, and packing. Have to pack sometime don't I?
deadlines are stinky but at least at the end you get to spend the time in Disney.

Question for all of you....

have you ever used paper in your sewing for details ? I got these Mickey heads from the DVC Merry Member Mixer and I have an idea in my head to use them on a dress, or rather an over-skirt. They are made of some type of paper. I am not sure what but it doesn't crumple, fold, or tear easily. It is textured and metallic. I want to cascade them down the skirt with a couple along the waist to being very full along the bottom. I plan on hand sewing them on but how practical is using them ? I know, a new sewist and ambitious but I can't shake the idea. Anyone have a guess at what type of paper this might be ?

Last edited by pyrxtc; 12-14-2012 at 09:24 AM.
pyrxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #2133
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
I KNEW I saw a tutorial recently on this. As soon as I saw her question I thought of that method (which I have only read about in that particular tutorial) but couldn't find where I saw it and would have only made matters worse trying to explain it! Thanks for helping me not go crazy wondering if I made that up! I seriously went through all my crafty/sewing pins on pinterest plus all my PDF patterns looking for that tutorial!
Glad that I could help out!

I saw the special on the different fonts at Paws and Claws but I don't use wording enough to spend the money on it.

Quote:
I've been busy because (like always) the end of the year snuck up on me and I'm trying to finish a ton of crafting/sewing all in the next week. I have 5 Disney dresses to finish for a friend taking their trip after Christmas, the eye spy bags for the Give (which THANK YOU ANDREA for the mini-tute you did a while ago!), and a DIY ornament wreath for a gift exchange. On top of all that I still need to pack and order my house before we leave to visit family for Christmas break! ACK!
It sounds like you have been a busy, busy lady. Are you going to post pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
have you ever used paper in your sewing for details ? I got these Mickey heads from the DVC Merry Member Mixer and I have an idea in my head to use them on a dress, or rather an over-skirt. They are made of some type of paper. I am not sure what but it doesn't crumple, fold, or tear easily. It is textured and metallic. I want to cascade them down the skirt with a couple along the waist to being very full along the bottom. I plan on hand sewing them on but how practical is using them ? I know, a new sewist and ambitious but I can't shake the idea.

I can't see how it would hurt to try it out. I'd probably give it a try with a few and then wash it to see how it works.

Enabler Alert
Threadart has free shipping for 12 hours today. I needed just a few colors and was able to order them for such a reasonable price!

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #2134
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
I can't see how it would hurt to try it out. I'd probably give it a try with a few and then wash it to see how it works.
I would be doing onto a chiffon so I won't be throwing it in the wash. I would have to spot clean it.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #2135
Restrasz
Mouseketeer

To princessMickey: I love,love your casserole covers! Where did you find the pattern and is it easy? I would love to try it.

I also love your idea for the bags,how cute! Ruth
Restrasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #2136
SallyfromDE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Hi ladies! I'm a longtime lurker on this thread, and was hoping you'd be able to provide you opinions. I have a Brother C6000i. I LOVED it for the first 6 months that I had it, but then it broke down and had to be repaired. Since then (in the last year) it's been serviced twice and is now acting up again. It skips stitches with such regularity that I'm convinced the machine has demons. (No amount of cleaning, needle changing, bobbing changing, rethreading will keep it from happening). Needless to say- I'm frustrated and ready to move on from the machine. Seems silly to pay another $100 to have such an unreliable machine repaired. I am considering purchasing the Singer Patchwork from Joann Fabrics. I am an intermediate sewer and primarily use the machine for quilting and princess dress making. Any feedback on the machine, Singer in general, and making the purchase from Joann would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADisneyQueen View Post
Would anyone recommend the Janome my style 100 as a good machine for my 12 year old? I would like to relearn to sew, too. I want to make all the cute Disney stuff I see on here! I haven't sewn in 15 years and was never any good at it and got so frustrated when the machine would jam. The sales lady told us that the top loading bobbin on the 100 wouldn't jam. Is that true and is it a good machine for beginners? Thanks.
I had the cs6000i and after a month the whole feed dog contraption collapsed, Brother said to fix it with warranty would be more then the value of the machine. So I bought a Janome at our local store where someone had traded it in for an upgrade. Its a fabulous machine, good and sturdy. I thnk I only paid $300 for it.

I don't know the #100, but I bought Kirsta a Hello Kitty style a few years ago. They were made by Janome. I think it was about $50. The only thing I had trouble with, the lack of a light. Being used to one, it was hard to adjust.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #2137
PrincessMickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
The bags, casserole carriers, and the tote bags look great! I like the fabrics you chose for the casserole carriers. Thanks for sharing the tote bag idea - they seem like inexpensive but impressive looking gifts! I have to keep the tote bag idea in mind when I need to make gifts for other people. I guess you know you will like at least one Christmas gift this year!
Thanks! I love all the fabric too, especially the red and black paisley. I love the tote bag idea too, they all turned out so nice and don't look like store bought bags at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Hi ladies! I'm a longtime lurker on this thread, and was hoping you'd be able to provide you opinions. I have a Brother C6000i. I LOVED it for the first 6 months that I had it, but then it broke down and had to be repaired. Since then (in the last year) it's been serviced twice and is now acting up again. It skips stitches with such regularity that I'm convinced the machine has demons. (No amount of cleaning, needle changing, bobbing changing, rethreading will keep it from happening). Needless to say- I'm frustrated and ready to move on from the machine. Seems silly to pay another $100 to have such an unreliable machine repaired. I am considering purchasing the Singer Patchwork from Joann Fabrics. I am an intermediate sewer and primarily use the machine for quilting and princess dress making. Any feedback on the machine, Singer in general, and making the purchase from Joann would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Welcome! I don't have much experience with Singers but have heard alot of complaints on them. I have a Kenmore and my mom has a Bernina. I would take a look at Amazon, I got an embroidery machine from here for Christmas and they were real quick and they have a good return policy.

Quote:
Those all turned out great! The purses are sure to be enjoyed by the girls and the casserole carriers turned out so cute! What a neat idea to take store bags and dress them up with the additional fabric. They look like wonderful gifts. It must have been a fun afternoon to sew with your family.
Thank you! We did have a great day together. We had Christmas music playing and just enjoyed being together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADisneyQueen View Post
Well, I ordered the Janome 100 today. Thanks for the comments. It was only $250 on sale. I know the Magnolia gets really great reviews, but I wanted to keep it simple and low cost for dd.
What should our first projects be? I have an apron I bought at WDW and I would love to have more with a Disney theme.
Glad you found a mchine and great it was on sale too! I will second or third the easy fit pattern. Carla's pattern is also like a sewing lesson and you will both learn so much from it. And you will all have comfy pajama pants too! I have made them in fleece, cottons and flannel backed satin, it is such a versatile pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post

Great job on all the bags.
Thank you!

Quote:
I am such a super bad friend! I've managed to look through everything. I LOVE the aprons, thank you Cheryl for doing the drawstring backpack tutorial, the cozy-carriers were awesome, the purses cute, etc.

Back to sewing for me!
Sunshine
You definately sound busy but how fun to make Disney dresses for your friend!

Quote:
You are pretty busy and wow to all those shirts. Hope you have a great trip!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrasz View Post
To princessMickey: I love,love your casserole covers! Where did you find the pattern and is it easy? I would love to try it.

Thank you! It's on the you can make this site. It is a very easy pattern and they went together pretty quick. I used Flora's idea instead of using fleece interfacing I used quilt batting.

PrincessMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #2138
smile5sunshine
Think of the happiest thing, it's the same as having wings!

Quote:
HOLY MOLY that's a TON of stuff to have sewn! And I thought I was busy!

Quote:
deadlines are stinky but at least at the end you get to spend the time in Disney.

have you ever used paper in your sewing for details ? I got these Mickey heads from the DVC Merry Member Mixer and I have an idea in my head to use them on a dress, or rather an over-skirt. They are made of some type of paper. I am not sure what but it doesn't crumple, fold, or tear easily. It is textured and metallic. I want to cascade them down the skirt with a couple along the waist to being very full along the bottom. I plan on hand sewing them on but how practical is using them ? I know, a new sewist and ambitious but I can't shake the idea. Anyone have a guess at what type of paper this might be ?

are you sure it's paper? could it be like tyvek (the type of material used for mailers)?

I think it's fine to use it, so long as you make sure that it's on something detachable so it doesn't go through the wash.

Quote:
It sounds like you have been a busy, busy lady. Are you going to post pictures?
Ask and ye shall receive! (posted below!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMickey View Post
You definately sound busy but how fun to make Disney dresses for your friend!
Yes I am busy, but I must admit, that it's really all my fault that I am. I have known about needing to sew these items for quite a while and just procrastinated until the very last minute! I should know better, but alas I keep making the same mistakes over and over again!

I want to say that I am praying for the poor families in Connecticut today. Horrible and heartbreaking.

I am 90% done with the give eye spy bags. All I need to do is get the filling (either rice or the poly pellets, which are my first choice) and sew them closed. Can't post pictures of those yet though.

And I am also 90% done with the first dress. It's a Snow White inspired dress using the Little Lizard Apron Knot pattern. Overall the directions for this pattern are clear, but she doesn't really include any sizing information or finished measurements. I modified the apron portion. It was supposed to be a rectangle, but I wanted the rounded corners. I also lined it so I could use the ric-rac. I also used a blind hem stitch for the first time, so YAY me!

I still need to add the buttonholes (the directions are a bit unclear for this so if anyone has made the patten before help me out, otherwise I'll have to email Little Lizard) and then I am also going to add an apple applique to the apron. Overall, happy with how it's turned out.

*edit* hee hee, I just realized my eye spy bags are peeking out from behind the dress! Those black straps are the handles to the bags!

Hoping to get a couple more dresses cut out today/tonight. Maybe more pictures tomorrow.

Sunshine

Last edited by smile5sunshine; 12-14-2012 at 02:31 PM.
smile5sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #2139
BabyRapunzel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile5sunshine

are you sure it's paper? could it be like tyvek (the type of material used for mailers)?

I think it's fine to use it, so long as you make sure that it's on something detachable so it doesn't go through the wash.

Ask and ye shall receive! (posted below!)

Yes I am busy, but I must admit, that it's really all my fault that I am. I have known about needing to sew these items for quite a while and just procrastinated until the very last minute! I should know better, but alas I keep making the same mistakes over and over again!

I want to say that I am praying for the poor families in Connecticut today. Horrible and heartbreaking.

I am 90% done with the give eye spy bags. All I need to do is get the filling (either rice or the poly pellets, which are my first choice) and sew them closed. Can't post pictures of those yet though.

And I am also 90% done with the first dress. It's a Snow White inspired dress using the Little Lizard Apron Knot pattern. Overall the directions for this pattern are clear, but she doesn't really include any sizing information or finished measurements. I modified the apron portion. It was supposed to be a rectangle, but I wanted the rounded corners. I also lined it so I could use the ric-rac. I also used a blind hem stitch for the first time, so YAY me!

I still need to add the buttonholes (the directions are a bit unclear for this so if anyone has made the patten before help me out, otherwise I'll have to email Little Lizard) and then I am also going to add an apple applique to the apron. Overall, happy with how it's turned out.

*edit* hee hee, I just realized my eye spy bags are peeking out from behind the dress! Those black straps are the handles to the bags!

Hoping to get a couple more dresses cut out today/tonight. Maybe more pictures tomorrow.

Sunshine

I am trying to keep up this time, fingers are crossed.....

This is so cute! I feel dumb, but what is a blind hem stitch and was it difficult?

I also am saddened by this news. It really is unimaginable. I don't understand how people can be so crazy, especially to hurt children. Makes me scared for when DD2 will go to school.
BabyRapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #2140
PrincessMickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Sunshine
That dress looks cute, I think the apple applique would look great on the apron. I have no experience with dresses or that pattern so I'm not much help with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRapunzel View Post
I also am saddened by this news. It really is unimaginable. I don't understand how people can be so crazy, especially to hurt children. Makes me scared for when DD2 will go to school.
My heart is breaking too. It really is unimaginable. As someone from Colorado who knew/knows several of the victims from Columbine and know several responders from Aurora I just can't comprehend that this happened to so many who were so young. In a way this hits closer to home being that my kids are the same age as those involved there. My thoughts and prayeres are going out to everyone involved in this.

PrincessMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #2141
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

do you think that a pageant dress is really silk or is it polyester ?

Also, do you follow the directions for putting patterns together or do you do it how you like better ?
the new patterns have you putting the whole bodice together and the whole skirt together and then putting them together but the old way is to put the front of the skirt to the front of the bodice and I like that better. It makes it much easier to gather.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #2142
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I was going to say the same thing...It may also be a plastic covered paper.

Me To!! Right now I'm blaming Pintrest. I start looking around and cant stop

Sunshine
That dress is beyond adorable. I can't wait to see the apple applique.
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS 2014: Sick Trip
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #2143
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
I started playing around with embroidery software today. I downloaded sewwhatpro a few weeks ago and found it to be not very easy to use (I am a SAHM now, but was a computer technician and systems admin for the previous 12 years.) I did try embird, which was better, but since I use a Mac exclusively I have to run it in emulation with XP, which isn't exactly enjoyable. I did find today a Mac app, which seems to fit the bill, Embrilliance. Has anyone used it? I guess it is cross-platform Mac and Windows and is about $150, lets you combine existing files to create names etc. but the demo does not save. (annoying.) anyway, long story longer, I was hoping that someone has some positive review of using it in real life, Mac or no, before I plunk down the $.
I want to be able to combine files and make my own text embroidery appliqués. I just got a SUPER deal from 8clawsandapaw.com on the monthly font club where you can get ALL their 600+ fonts for $29. within 30 days. You have to "purchase" them and download them once you have an acct, but they are all free on the site after you pay for the club. They have some great fonts I really like, and plenty I am just downloading because hey, they are basically free and who knows if I might need them someday.
I don't have any suggestions for the embroidery software. I use the free Stitch Era program and I have been able to make a few patterns with it.

Quote:

Back to sewing for me!
Sunshine
Well no need to apologize. We all understand that how things can get busy. I look forward to seeing pictures of your projects!

Quote:
48 shirts?! Wow that is a lot. I hope you will post pictures of your outfits in action!

Quote:

I imagine they will be fine to use especially if you don't plan to wash it at all - my guess is that they are like the shiny wrapping paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrasz View Post

Just to follow-up on this - it's Aunt Ellie's Casserole Carrier from youcanmakethis.com.

Quote:

Sunshine
The Snow White dress is looking great. I can't wait to see it with the apple applique added to the apron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRapunzel View Post
I am trying to keep up this time, fingers are crossed.....

This is so cute! I feel dumb, but what is a blind hem stitch and was it difficult?
In my world, the blind hem stitch is done with my blind hem foot, though I am sure some would do it by hand. It is basically little stitches to catch the edge of the fabric along the hem, so the fold for the hem will stay in place. So if you do it by hand, you would iron along the hem fold to make the fold stay in place, and then do little stitches along the finished raw edge while catching it to the main fabric. It is a breeze to do if you have a blind hem foot. I think a picture would explain this much better, but I am on my way out to seeing my friend who just had a baby (the one who is getting the growth chart). Hopefully someone else can come up with a better explanation!

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)

Last edited by PurpleEars; 12-15-2012 at 09:44 AM.
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #2144
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I would be doing onto a chiffon so I won't be throwing it in the wash. I would have to spot clean it.
Then I can't see any reason not to try it out.

Quote:

And I am also 90% done with the first dress. It's a Snow White inspired dress using the Little Lizard Apron Knot pattern.

Sunshine
Yes, it is terrible what happened today. I didn't hear about it until late this afternoon because I was on the go all day. It is just heartbreaking!

I love your Snow White inspired dress. It definitely carries the Snow White theme without being over the top Snow White. I can't wait to see it with the apple added to the apron.

Quote:
do you think that a pageant dress is really silk or is it polyester ?

Also, do you follow the directions for putting patterns together or do you do it how you like better ?
the new patterns have you putting the whole bodice together and the whole skirt together and then putting them together but the old way is to put the front of the skirt to the front of the bodice and I like that better. It makes it much easier to gather.
I would guess that most pageant dresses are made from polyester but I am really not sure.

I usually follow the instruction for constructing a dress the first time I make it. Then after that, I do it how I like making things. Sometimes I learn a new method of doing something from the instructions and sometimes the methods in the instructions are enough to drive you nuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post

In my world, the blind hem stitch is done with my blind hem foot, though I am sure some would do it by hand. It is basically little stitches to catch the edge of the fabric along the hem, so the fold for the hem will stay in place. So if you do it by hand, you would iron along the hem fold to make the fold stay in place, and then do little stitches along the finished raw edge while catching it to the main fabric. It is a breeze to do if you have a blind hem foot. I think a picture would explain this much better, but I am on my way out to seeing my friend who just had a baby (the one who is getting the growth chart). Hopefully someone else can come up with a better explanation!
I'm glad that you explained this. Using the blind hem stitch, even with my blind hem foot is still something that always confuses me!

I took DH back for his post surgical follow up appointment today. It was very good news. The pathology report was already back and everything was benign. I don't know if I had mentioned it here but the endocrinologist who visited DH while he was in the hospital scared us quite a bit because she kept saying that the mass was malignant and we needed to get into her office to see her within a week. The surgeon told us today that she was definitely mistaken and must have confused us with another patient.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #2145
billwendy
DIS Veteran

Hi Everyone!!

So sorry I have been MIA. My gallbladder removal went just fine, spent 1 night in the hospital and was then sent home. I have been having a rough time eating and drinking since August, and after surgery, I was just not able to keep myself going and got into a bad dehydration hole, so had to go back into the hospital again this week for a few days. My guts are just a mess right now!! But at least the pain from the gallbladder was gone when I woke up = I just expected the digestion issues to be gone as well...oh well. My dreams of stitching and sewing while I was home recooperating boiled down to just 1 Eeyore Christmas Tshirt and a half done Tigger one!!!! YIKES!!! So, Im hoping I'll finally feel better for Christmas this year!!!

Also, just a reminder that its time to ship for Shawn Brooklyns Big Give!!! Just remember to post your picture on the thread and the address will be pm'd to you!!! Thanks so much everyone!!!

http://disbiggive.proboards.com/index.cgi

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: